What's new

Felton Spencer died.

Damn. Only 55. He always put up decent stats for us. I remember looking back in the Ostertag era thinking he wasn’t so bad. I ran multiple trades on the RealGM trade checker with NY back in the day that returned us Spencer. Mostly, at that point, as salary ballast, busy still.

We traded him for the pick that became Andrei Kirilenko.

That's sad. Still quite young.

I've always wondered what might have happened had he not torn his Achilles in 1995. He was having the best season of his career, the Jazz won 60 games that year even with him going down, but the Rockets beat us 3-2 in the first round. Not suggesting Felton would've stopped Hakeem or anything, but it was a very close series and he would've brought more to the table than the 37-year old James Donaldson whom the Jazz signed after Felton went down. Donaldson immediately became the starting center, having not played since the summer.

What a time. The starting center on a serious contender goes down a month before the trade deadline, and the best they can do is bring in a 37-year old who was never more than a bit player in his prime. Nowadays, you'd have an immediate blockbuster, multi-team trade to land some disgruntled player on the Jazz, with 3-4 FRPs going the other way. And Jay Humphries.

I've always wondered what might have happened had he not torn his Achilles in 1995. He was having the best season of his career, the Jazz won 60 games that year even with him going down, but the Rockets beat us 3-2 in the first round. Not suggesting Felton would've stopped Hakeem or anything, but it was a very close series and he would've brought more to the table than the 37-year old James Donaldson whom the Jazz signed after Felton went down. Donaldson immediately became the starting center, having not played since the summer.

What a time. The starting center on a serious contender goes down a month before the trade deadline, and the best they can do is bring in a 37-year old who was never more than a bit player in his prime. Nowadays, you'd have an immediate blockbuster, multi-team trade to land some disgruntled player on the Jazz, with 3-4 FRPs going the other way. And Jay Humphries.
Sad indeed. And I've wondered the same thing.
I barely saw any Jazz games from this era back in the day, simply because the NBA wasn't really covered over here. One or two games a week on a paid cable channel we didn't have at my house. A friend of mine did and occasionally taped a game for me. One of those was the game Spencer tore his achilles. Boston Garden, I can still kind of picture it. I believe we did win after Dominique Wilkins (yes, he was on the Celtics) turned it over late in a close game.

Felton was a very likable guy
My condolences
Anybody heard cause of death
He was only 55

Donaldson was a good defensive big in his prime, we just got him 7-8 years too late lol. Like we do most vets. It's Jazz tradition!

Donaldson was a good defensive big in his prime, we just got him 7-8 years too late lol. Like we do most vets. It's Jazz tradition!
Long list of guys I've been excited we've obtained because I thought of them in their former glory.

Tom Chambers
John Starks
Danny Manning

Well, I guess listing it, it really isn't that long. All the other guys I had been following along well enough to know we were getting them later.

Long list of guys I've been excited we've obtained because I thought of them in their former glory.

Tom Chambers
John Starks
Danny Manning

Well, I guess listing it, it really isn't that long. All the other guys I had been following along well enough to know we were getting them later.
Donyell Marshall
Mark Jackson (that went sour fast)
Jay Humphreys
Tom Gugliotta
Beasley

Donyell Marshall
Mark Jackson (that went sour fast)
Jay Humphreys
Donyell Marshall was only 27 when we got him. I had really wanted Mark Jackson before we got him (he was typically the person I always targeted in hypothetical NYK trades) and I didn’t have any illusion on him being anything more than a backup to Stockton (though he did, apparently).

Felton came to us right after Mark Eaton retired. It's tough to live to a ripe old age when one is 7'0. Felton could ball and his best seasons were with us. Felton and Mark are going to pull some strings and bring us a chip in the coming years!

That year, the Jazz could trot out a line up of Stockton-Hornacek-Chambers-Malone-Donaldson. 5 All-Stars!

Of course, if this were 1989 instead of 1995, maybe something more than a first round exit might have happened.

He had apparently been battling cancer for the past 5 years. :(

I really liked it when he came out a few years ago as part of an alumni night. I hope the Jazz keep doing that sort of stuff. I know I read an article before Covid saying the team was in contact with something like 90% of former Jazz players in some way.

That year, the Jazz could trot out a line up of Stockton-Hornacek-Chambers-Malone-Donaldson. 5 All-Stars!

Of course, if this were 1989 instead of 1995, maybe something more than a first round exit might have happened.

Man if we had all 5 of them in their prime, historians would be talking about the greatest team in nba history being the Jazz.

Funny thing is Donaldson looks like he could be Rudy Goberts father, and he's European.

Donyell Marshall was only 27 when we got him. I had really wanted Mark Jackson before we got him (he was typically the person I always targeted in hypothetical NYK trades) and I didn’t have any illusion on him being anything more than a backup to Stockton (though he did, apparently).
Marshall could have been the perfect 3rd "star" next to Stock and Malone, but he just couldn't get along with coach, or how tough-nosed and driven the team was. He was not that way and it clashed bad, but his skillset was exactly what we needed. Too bad they couldn't make it work.

Marshall could have been the perfect 3rd "star" next to Stock and Malone, but he just couldn't get along with coach, or how tough-nosed and driven the team was. He was not that way and it clashed bad, but his skillset was exactly what we needed. Too bad they couldn't make it work.
I don't remember much friction there. I really liked Marshall the first year and, by the end, I was fairly apathetic about him leaving, but I think that more had to do with thinking we needed to clear the path for Kirilenko.