What's new

Female Kicker makes college football history with a scolarship

Game6Conley

Scholarship**

Otros_Deportes-Futbol_americano-Otros_Deportes_208489500_32645181_1024x576.jpg

An Arizona teenager will become the first woman to play college football on a scholarship at the Division II level or higher.

Becca Longo, an 18-year-old from Chandler Basha high school in suburban Phoenix, has signed a national letter of intent with Adams State in Alamosa, Colorado.

The 5ft 11in, 140lb place-kicker is thought the be the first of the dozen or so documented women in the male-only sport to play on a full ride.

“I contacted [Adams State] during the season, and after the season I got contacted back by them,” Longo told the Arizona Republic. “The offensive coordinator [Josh Blankenship], he told me he wanted me to come out for a visit. I went on my visit and I absolutely fell in love.”

Longo made 30 of 33 extra-point attempts and converted a 30-yard field-goal try in eight games for the Bears as a senior, according to Maxpreps.com. She is not the first woman to play college football, but none of her predecessors have played on scholarship at a Division II level or higher.

636276251854096699-becca-longo2.jpg

Adams State head coach Timm Rosenbach, a former NFL quarterback with the Phoenix Cardinals, said that Longo’s gender was never a factor in the recruiting process despite the fact she will be competing exclusively against male players.

“I see her as a football player who earned it,” Rosenbach told the Republic. “It was like recruiting any other athlete. In Division II, we can see their workouts. To me, there is no doubt she can be competitive. She has a strong leg and she can be very accurate.”

Liz Heaston, who played for NAIA school Williamette in 1997, is believed to be the first woman to ever score a point in a college game. Jacksonville State’s Ashley Martin, the first woman to play at the Division I level, made three extra points in 2001 as a walk-on player.

Katie Hnida became the only woman to ever score in FBS competiton, college football’s highest level, with New Mexico in 2003, though she was also a walk-on.

Longo also intends to play for the women’s basketball team at Adams State as a non-scholarship player.

Adams State, which play in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, open their 2017 season on 2 September against South Dakota’s Black Hills State University.

Scholarship**

Otros_Deportes-Futbol_americano-Otros_Deportes_208489500_32645181_1024x576.jpg

An Arizona teenager will become the first woman to play college football on a scholarship at the Division II level or higher.

Becca Longo, an 18-year-old from Chandler Basha high school in suburban Phoenix, has signed a national letter of intent with Adams State in Alamosa, Colorado.

The 5ft 11in, 140lb place-kicker is thought the be the first of the dozen or so documented women in the male-only sport to play on a full ride.

“I contacted [Adams State] during the season, and after the season I got contacted back by them,” Longo told the Arizona Republic. “The offensive coordinator [Josh Blankenship], he told me he wanted me to come out for a visit. I went on my visit and I absolutely fell in love.”

Longo made 30 of 33 extra-point attempts and converted a 30-yard field-goal try in eight games for the Bears as a senior, according to Maxpreps.com. She is not the first woman to play college football, but none of her predecessors have played on scholarship at a Division II level or higher.

636276251854096699-becca-longo2.jpg

Adams State head coach Timm Rosenbach, a former NFL quarterback with the Phoenix Cardinals, said that Longo’s gender was never a factor in the recruiting process despite the fact she will be competing exclusively against male players.

“I see her as a football player who earned it,” Rosenbach told the Republic. “It was like recruiting any other athlete. In Division II, we can see their workouts. To me, there is no doubt she can be competitive. She has a strong leg and she can be very accurate.”

Liz Heaston, who played for NAIA school Williamette in 1997, is believed to be the first woman to ever score a point in a college game. Jacksonville State’s Ashley Martin, the first woman to play at the Division I level, made three extra points in 2001 as a walk-on player.

Katie Hnida became the only woman to ever score in FBS competiton, college football’s highest level, with New Mexico in 2003, though she was also a walk-on.

Longo also intends to play for the women’s basketball team at Adams State as a non-scholarship player.

Adams State, which play in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, open their 2017 season on 2 September against South Dakota’s Black Hills State University.

How many years have you been scouting her? Did you travel to see any of her high school games in-person?

So she hit one field goal last year?

And a 30 yarder at that. How many touchbacks does she have? Probably zero since they didn't mention it. I bet you the average high school kicker has a sample size of 15-25 field goals a year. At least 10. Teams that actually have good kickers in high school would use them way more than once.

She is playing basketball at the school too. Its not just for football.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

You don't have half scholarships. The football team takes the full hit if she's no good. The basketball team having her is all upside. They don't burn a schollie on her. And because of that whatever she brings a college basketball player is immaterial.

I have no clue what the average D2 kicker looks like.....there's certainly plenty of bad ones in D1.....so maybe her leg is big enough to warrant a scholarship at that level. It just looks totally suspect on the surface.

You don't have half scholarships. The football team takes the full hit if she's no good. The basketball team having her is all upside. They don't burn a schollie on her. And therefore whether she has any merit as a college basketball player is immaterial.

I have no clue what the average D2 kicker looks like.....there's certainly plenty of bad ones in D1.....so maybe her leg is big enough to warrant a scholarship at that level. It just looks totally suspect on the surface.
Clearly there is a PR advantage of advertising her as a football scholarship.

Idk why you care though. I'm sure she is good. 30/33 is pretty good on the HS level for extra points

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

The QB on her team is committed to Arizona State. They probably went for it on every fourth down they could.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Still though one FG and 30/33 extra points gets you a scholarship? I should have spent all of my time practicing kicking a football.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app