What's new

FIBA U19 World Cup Discussion thread

Jazzinho

U19 WC started last weekend in Latvia and we've already had a couple of nice games and great performances from future NBA stars. Not sure if anyone is being able to follow enough to discuss the games/players performance, but here are the players I find the most intriging:
Victor Wembanyama - France. If you've not heard from him is because you've not been following Gobert close enough. Earlier this year a couple of videos were posted where he and Rudy went 1on1 in a couple of possesions. Well he is 7'3, decend handles and a good shoting ability. Althought the WC is U-19 he just turned 17 but is the best player in France. Last Euro in 2019 he had 14 and led France to the finals where they lost to Spain. I believe that he is going to NBA as soon as he becomes eligible, possibly if not probably a high lotery pick.

Juan Nuñes - Spain. Also born in 2004 and also present in the Euro 2019 finals, he has been practicing with the Pro's in Real Madrid for almost a year now, and played a couple of games. He's a 6'3 PG very crafty and vert high IQ. I really don't think he'll make it to the NBA in the next couple years, but he is fun to watch.

Nikola Jovic - Serbia. a 6'10 (probably 6'9) he play's 2-4 and is very versatile. Great handle, great passing skills and a good feeling for the game. His shoting mechanic is fine but he's not a great shoter from 3. He is an average defender and this is an area that he should improve if he wants to have a chance at the NBA.

Mike Miles - USA. Mike played very well for TCU as a freshman last year and hopefully will play even beter this year. Anyone who minimally shines in the Coach Dixon's 'not so modern' basketball tactics will probably have a chance in the NBA, see how well Bane is doing. He's a 6'2 (looked more like 6'0 last year, but ok) PG with good handles and decent shooting. Last year for TCU he had great games abd some really ugly peformances. But if he continues to improve on both sides of the floor, I like his chances at the nba. Possibly a second round pick that converts into a decent back up PG. He is on my list because I'm a TCU homer.

Chet Holmgreen - USA. Many of us has been following the early career of this skilly big man. The #1 recruit of the 2021 class, a 7'1 that can shot, drive and block many shots. Of course he is have a long way to the NBA Stardom, but he has not disapointed in any stage of his career so far. He is the leader and the star of this US team, and from what I've seen, it will be an easy cruise to the finals, which I believe will be against France where he will match up against a much younger Wembanyama, in which can be the first clash of two giants. Two giants that could face many times in the future if they both make their ways to the NBA.

There are a few others that I'd like to mention, but won't write anything about as I need to go back to work, lol.
Caleb Houston - Canada
Dyson Daniels - Australia
Ruben Dominguez - Spain
Adem Bona - Turkey

They're broadcasting the games on youtube, on this channel:

General Sports thread says hi.
My bad, I probably should have posted on the 2035 draftees thread or Bucks vs Suns thread. They're all very much Jazz related.
Well, one of those players could be a future Jazz star so I guess we keep it here.

My bad, I probably should have posted on the 2035 draftees thread or Bucks vs Suns thread. They're all very much Jazz related.
Well, one of those players could be a future Jazz star so I guess we keep it here.

Or maybe just in the correct area would've been fine too.

Wembanyama is going to be special. The best prospect out there.

Isn't this a general sports topic?