What's new

Fixing the Defense

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

Rudy and Don are amazing in their own ways, but you don't win a title with 2 great players. You win titles with a couple playoff superstars and a good supporting cast. Or a team with 5 or 6 great players.

We do not have enough great players. Rudy is not a playoff superstar and Don doesn't play the defense to warrant him to be considered one either.

Our roster construction was dreadful. We all know we needed a guy like Jrue or Brogdon yet we went out and got Conley.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
OMG!!! You clamored for the jazz to get Conley the moment rumors came out. Lmao

KqWIN

A related question would be: Is Donovan's offense good enough that he can still be efficient if we replaced his offensively good teammates with better defenders/worse offensive players. In other words, can Donovan be offensively efficient in a slightly less open floor in order to incorporate better defenders?

I think the answer is yes. I think Donovan is good enough to get us a ring with some different complementary players. I think he's the best or one of they best pick and roll guards in the NBA right now. He is currently looking worse than normal because of Gobert being out.

Donovan is a superstar offensive talent. One of the reasons why I’ve been pushing for a trade for so long is that he has carried us to an elite offense despite being a man down back to back playoffs. We were elite without Bogey against DEN and elite against LAC without Conley. The problem is that we couldn’t defend. This has reflected what has happened in the RS the past couple of years as well. We actually have a better record when someone is out.

There shouldn’t be a hesitation to trade some offense for some defense. We rely on Rudy so much defensively….but Don has gotten good enough where we can lean on him to carry more on offense and move some pieces to give Rudy help.

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
Donovan is a superstar offensive talent. One of the reasons why I’ve been pushing for a trade for so long is that he has carried us to an elite offense despite being a man down back to back playoffs. We were elite without Bogey against DEN and elite against LAC without Conley. The problem is that we couldn’t defend. This has reflected what has happened in the RS the past couple of years as well. We actually have a better record when someone is out.

There shouldn’t be a hesitation to trade some offense for some defense. We rely on Rudy so much defensively….but Don has gotten good enough where we can lean on him to carry more on offense and move some pieces to give Rudy help.
I would keep Rudy, Don and Bogey (don't think we can replace him for better value as he has been so consistent from 3 this year). Anyone else should be on the table for trade.

LoPo

OMG!!! You clamored for the jazz to get Conley the moment rumors came out. Lmao
No I didn't. I was anti-Conley the entire time. The only time I warmed to the Conley deal was when it was already done and we had gone and gotten Bojan. I saw it as an all or nothing move. I chose to try to be positive. I was still pushing for additional perimeter defenders. I have been pushing for perimeter defenders since we chose Burks over Kawhi.

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

No I didn't. I was anti-Conley the entire time. The only time I warmed to the Conley deal was when it was already done and we had gone and gotten Bojan. I saw it as an all or nothing move. I chose to try to be positive. I was still pushing for additional perimeter defenders. I have been pushing for perimeter defenders since we chose Burks over Kawhi.
I’m pretty sure you were all for it from the beginning, point is you wanted it now your blasting the jazz for getting him over others. Lol

LoPo

I’m pretty sure you were all for it from the beginning, point is you wanted it now your blasting the jazz for getting him over others. Lol
I NEVER WANTED CONLEY. I wanted the ball in Don's hands so he could develop running the offense. I thought that he and Ingles were plenty to run the offense if we got another defender to join them.

It's just logical. Conley and Don were a terrible combination.

Saint Cy of JFC

I NEVER WANTED CONLEY. I wanted the ball in Don's hands so he could develop running the offense. I thought that he and Ingles were plenty to run the offense if we got another defender to join them.

It's just logical. Conley and Don were a terrible combination.
So terrible it resulted in one of the best offenses in the history of the NBA...

l Abach l

I don't think it's scheme or heart. I'm leaning toward the size and athleticism camp which can only be addressed via a big splash trade. Still not quite sure we have so many 1 dimensional players who can't defend or lack size/athleticism i.e Conley, Bogey, JC, Ingles, Don to an extent, etc...

Saint Cy of JFC

I don't think it's scheme or heart. I'm leaning toward the size and athleticism camp which can only be addressed via a big splash trade. Still not quite sure we have so many 1 dimensional players who can't defend or lack size/athleticism i.e Conley, Bogey, JC, Ingles, Don to an extent, etc...
I put it more on mental concentration than anything. JC/Mitchell/Bogey are three very mentally disconnected defenders. They kind of do their own thing, they compete at times, but they lose focus often and provide any positive team defense benefits.

LoPo

Exactly.

I like Favors, but was a bad fit next to Rudy for years. I like Conley, but he's a bad fit.

Clarkson and anybody not named Rudy, Don, Bojan and Royce will not move any needle to get us anything substantial. Joe has little value without tossing in another 1st which I think is reckless.

Conley is our only decently strong trade piece that is expendable. We all know it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app