What's new

Fixing the Defense

I don't think it's scheme or heart. I'm leaning toward the size and athleticism camp which can only be addressed via a big splash trade. Still not quite sure we have so many 1 dimensional players who can't defend or lack size/athleticism i.e Conley, Bogey, JC, Ingles, Don to an extent, etc...

I don't think it's scheme or heart. I'm leaning toward the size and athleticism camp which can only be addressed via a big splash trade. Still not quite sure we have so many 1 dimensional players who can't defend or lack size/athleticism i.e Conley, Bogey, JC, Ingles, Don to an extent, etc...
I put it more on mental concentration than anything. JC/Mitchell/Bogey are three very mentally disconnected defenders. They kind of do their own thing, they compete at times, but they lose focus often and provide any positive team defense benefits.

Exactly.

I like Favors, but was a bad fit next to Rudy for years. I like Conley, but he's a bad fit.

Clarkson and anybody not named Rudy, Don, Bojan and Royce will not move any needle to get us anything substantial. Joe has little value without tossing in another 1st which I think is reckless.

Conley is our only decently strong trade piece that is expendable. We all know it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I put it more on mental concentration than anything. JC/Mitchell/Bogey are three very mentally disconnected defenders. They kind of do their own thing, they compete at times, but they lose focus often and provide any positive team defense benefits.
This is where I am at. Its just hard to make a judgment when there is clearly a lack of effort. I gotta believe there is more available from what we already have on D. I would love to know what the coaches have done to explore getting more out of these guys. Bogey for instance played reasonable defense against Kawai in the clippers series, I recall being amazed by his defensive focus at times during that series.

Exactly.

I like Favors, but was a bad fit next to Rudy for years. I like Conley, but he's a bad fit.

Clarkson and anybody not named Rudy, Don, Bojan and Royce will not move any needle to get us anything substantial. Joe has little value without tossing in another 1st which I think is reckless.

Conley is our only decently strong trade piece that is expendable. We all know it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Except there are times that Conley is the only guy able to put his head on straight and run/create offense. We are a juggernaught except sometimes when we get in our own heads it seems.

This is where I am at. Its just hard to make a judgment when there is clearly a lack of effort. I gotta believe there is more available from what we already have on D. I would love to know what the coaches have done to explore getting more out of these guys. Bogey for instance played reasonable defense against Kawai in the clippers series, I recall being amazed by his defensive focus at times during that series.
What has Quincaine done to hold these guys accountable? Jerry would have torn them apart.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

like he did with boozer?

Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan was recently asked if he has considered starting Paul Millsap over Carlos Boozer.

“Yeah, I think about it every day,” Sloan said. “We need guys, and maybe Boozer will get himself together a little bit more coming off the bench. That’s something we’re thinking about.”

When Boozer was asked about his thoughts on the issue, he stated simply, “I’m a starter. Period.”

Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan was recently asked if he has considered starting Paul Millsap over Carlos Boozer.

“Yeah, I think about it every day,” Sloan said. “We need guys, and maybe Boozer will get himself together a little bit more coming off the bench. That’s something we’re thinking about.”

When Boozer was asked about his thoughts on the issue, he stated simply, “I’m a starter. Period.”

Sloan was someone who had tremendous power at the organization though. He had the benefit of making decisions without having fear for losing his job. If Quin bench Donovan/ Bogey/Conley, or give Clarkson a DNP, the lockerroom would riot and FO would act immediately

Also

So Sloan didn't do ****...

adding a Tony Allen type guy besides DM could fix a lot of things. defensive minded,can shoot abit but most importantly should be vocal. he can influence the team in playing more defense.

As far as I know, Mitchell has won four double-doubles in his career. it's obviously not enough for a superstar who needs to help his teammates more and do better.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using JazzFanz mobile app

Finally ends the hilarious argument of Royce and his "Great" defense. lmao.

Anyone that focuses on him can see he is a turnstile more times than he is not. Take him OUT of the starting line up, and upgrade that position
and this team will take off.

Finally ends the hilarious argument of Royce and his "Great" defense. lmao.

Anyone that focuses on him can see he is a turnstile more times than he is not. Take him OUT of the starting line up, and upgrade that position
and this team will take off.
He has been so much better in other years. His defense this year has been pretty awful… especially recently. I do think he is injured… he’s not moving well at all. He also landed funky on his leg in the Detroit game off a shot. When I have tendinitis in my knee I know sometimes I plant and the knee buckles… that’s what it looked like happened to him. He’s a much better defender than he has shown this year. He may be less interested in defense or he may be hurt… it hasn’t been the same though.

As far as I know, Mitchell has won four double-doubles in his career. it's obviously not enough for a superstar who needs to help his teammates more and do better.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using JazzFanz mobile app
That’s a reflection of Q’s offense more than anything else… hell Ricky Rubio had a career average of 8.3 assists per game at that point of his career and that dropped way down to 5 with the Jazz. Donovan is a pretty willing passer. That’s far from his biggest issue.

I was playing around on nba.com stats and found some of the tracking information interesting. They have each player's average speed on defense and offense. Donovan was by far the slowest on defense, which shows how much we allow him to coast on that end. Joe is playing slower this year, which makes sense. Bogey gives a little more effort on both ends than I expected. Trent is our most active defender. House has been really active so far as well.

I was playing around on nba.com stats and found some of the tracking information interesting. They have each player's average speed on defense and offense. Donovan was by far the slowest on defense, which shows how much we allow him to coast on that end. Joe is playing slower this year, which makes sense. Bogey gives a little more effort on both ends than I expected. Trent is our most active defender. House has been really active so far as well.

Ok, I just looked up the slowest average defensive players in the league and they are almost all super high usage stars. I'm giving Donovan a little more of a pass than I had been since it appears this is a very common strategy to allow your star to coast on defense. Obviously activity doesn't equal good and some low active players still manage to be effective defenders, e.g. Chris Paul, and Giannis.