What's new

Following potential 2013 draftees

In recruiting runner-ups don't matter.

ETA on Cal leaving for the NBA?

Don't think he will. He knows recruiting is his single biggest strength (best in history) and that is neutralized in the NBA. He can coach too .. But it's more of a level playing field. He gets paid more than 70% of NBA coaches and I could only see him leaving for a truly iconic role (lakers, celtics, Jazz).

Next years draft is going to be much better than this draft, especially the top-five. Shabazz Muhammad is going to be the number one pick next year unless Nerlens Noel does some spectacular things like Anthony Davis did. Muhammad plays exactly like James Harden and we all know Harden would be starting for every NBA team exept the few with all-star shooting guard i.e. Kobe, Wade, etc. Cody Zeller and James McAdoo are the other top players and that leaves only more spot in the top-five for a surprise someone else next year like Andre Roberson who was Burks teammate at Colorado, he is a great small forward or Alex Poythress who is going to Kentucky and is a combo forward.

This draft class is a little weak on point guards, Marshall, Lillard, and Teague were the only good ones in this draft. 2013 will be full of point guards in the first round 5-7 atleast I am predicting. On the Jazz's standpoint it is in our best interests is the Golden State pick next year instead of this year so this could be a blessing disguise. The draft class for point guards next year includes guys like. CJ McCollum, BJ Young, Lorenzo Brown, Ryan Harrow, Myck Kabongo, Isaiah Caanan, Ian Miller, and Deonte Burton who if all these guys have a good year they could all potentially be taken in the first round. It is also a great small forward class as well with guys I mentioned earlier, James McAdoo, Andre Roberson and even Adonis Thomas, there were repots that the Jazz wanted a small forward this year so we could get a look at those guys as well.

CJ McCollum is one guy that I would really like to see the Jazz take a hard look at next year. Granted he plays for Lehigh, but not to mention they upset Duke this year as a No. 15 seed. Has great size at 6'3 but needs to gain some weight he is only 165 lbs. Reminds me a lot of Eric Maynor, McCollum decided to stay for his senior year which we don't see very often. Projected to go in the mid-teens in next years draft right now so with a good year he could be going in the late-lottery. The Warriors could have a good team next year like I said if they are healthy and we will get a pick in the 12-22 area right where McCollum is projected. We also have our first-round pick next year, but I think we are going to be pretty good so I think the Jazz are looking at two picks in the mid-teens to early-twenties next year. Unless the Warriors play b ad like they usually do even with all of their talent in the starting-five and the Jazz could have a bad year, but it is doubtful honestly. McCollum was the best guard on the floor when they played Duke and he racked up 25 points and 6 assists in that game.

Mo Williams is our point guard for the next two or three years, but it would be a great idea to grab a point guard in the 2013 draft and let him grow and learn behind Williams. The Jazz could also get a shooting guard or a small forward, even though we have Burks and Hayward just in case as a back-up or if they turn out better. I say they go with a point guard because we can always get a extra shooting guard or a small forward with the MLE this year and next year. If we potentially get rid of Big Al or Millsap it would not be a bad idea to get a extra big because Kanter isn't doing so great but he still has time. If we get a top-5 pick in next years draft I say we target McAdoo for sure or if we get lucky the no brainer would be Muhammed or Noel. A sleeper is Cody Zeller better than his older brother, but he does have t-rex arms, but the potential is definitely there.

I can't wait I think this college season is going to be a great one, next years draft is oozing with talent at almost every position, but like I said 2013 has more depth and talent at the point guard postion than 2012.

^^^

There may be a quantity of PG's in 2013 .. but no quality.
McAdoo and Zeller I really like .. but they are each far from sure things (Zeller has T-Rex arms and McAdoo is a tweener).

Not a bad post, but I disagreed with the above-mentioned.

Wall will be damn good.

I'm calling Randle to Duke (with UK a runner-up).
Parker to UK (with Duke runner-up)
Harrisons to UK (with no one even close)
Wiggins to UK.

What changed? Last I remember, you were saying Parker was going to Duke.

What changed? Last I remember, you were saying Parker was going to Duke.

A couple things. Duke got Rodney Hood from MSUjr and I don't see Randle and Parker going to the same school either .. I see Randle and Parker going to UK and Duke .. and you can mix match who goes where.

Honestly, I think Randle is a better fit for Duke and Parker for UK because of system / style of play.

A couple things. Duke got Rodney Hood from MSUjr and I don't see Randle and Parker going to the same school either .. I see Randle and Parker going to UK and Duke .. and you can mix match who goes where.

I see. Well, good luck with the recruiting process. I'm sure UK will be happy with whoever they end up with, if it's a mix and match situation like you say.

*Calipari has gotten;

- Rose (stud)
- Wall (awaiting to see what he does when he has a team)
- Knight (was he supposed to be some NBA stud PG?)
- Bledsoe (?)

Truth is, the PG crop has been / will be pretty weak (generally/overall) over nearly a 6/7 year span.

@3t3k - Harrow will be this year's PG at UK, sharing minutes with Julius Mays. Calipari saw the writing on the wall, btw, BOTH of these guys are transfers (NC State and Wright St).

Hmmm..

Good thing you don't need a stud PG to win a championship nowadays (Heats).

2013 will be full of point guards in the first round 5-7 atleast I am predicting. On the Jazz's standpoint it is in our best interests is the Golden State pick next year instead of this year so this could be a blessing disguise. The draft class for point guards next year includes guys like. CJ McCollum, BJ Young, Lorenzo Brown, Ryan Harrow, Myck Kabongo, Isaiah Caanan, Ian Miller, and Deonte Burton who if all these guys have a good year they could all potentially be taken in the first round.
^^^
A few more names to add to that "quantity" of points guards:
Trey Burke (Michigan) 6-1 175 (floor general w/range...solid in all areas)
Elijah Johnson (Kansas) 6-3 195 (potential combo guard, played 2 last year...like to see him run point this year w/Taylor gone)
Tim Frazier (Penn State) 6-1 165 (has a little Rondo in his game)
Isaiah Canaan (Rider) 6-0ish 170 (shoot-first PG, but def can shoot)

No franchise "Derrick Rose/CP3" types there, but then again Deron Williams wasn't viewed as anything close to a top-5 pick before the 2004-05 season. Just some names to keep an eye on.

Next years draft is going to be much better than this draft, especially the top-five. Shabazz Muhammad is going to be the number one pick next year unless Nerlens Noel does some spectacular things like Anthony Davis did. Muhammad plays exactly like James Harden and we all know Harden would be starting for every NBA team exept the few with all-star shooting guard i.e. Kobe, Wade, etc. Cody Zeller and James McAdoo are the other top players and that leaves only more spot in the top-five for a surprise someone else next year like Andre Roberson who was Burks teammate at Colorado, he is a great small forward or Alex Poythress who is going to Kentucky and is a combo forward.

This draft class is a little weak on point guards, Marshall, Lillard, and Teague were the only good ones in this draft. 2013 will be full of point guards in the first round 5-7 atleast I am predicting. On the Jazz's standpoint it is in our best interests is the Golden State pick next year instead of this year so this could be a blessing disguise. The draft class for point guards next year includes guys like. CJ McCollum, BJ Young, Lorenzo Brown, Ryan Harrow, Myck Kabongo, Isaiah Caanan, Ian Miller, and Deonte Burton who if all these guys have a good year they could all potentially be taken in the first round. It is also a great small forward class as well with guys I mentioned earlier, James McAdoo, Andre Roberson and even Adonis Thomas, there were repots that the Jazz wanted a small forward this year so we could get a look at those guys as well.

CJ McCollum is one guy that I would really like to see the Jazz take a hard look at next year. Granted he plays for Lehigh, but not to mention they upset Duke this year as a No. 15 seed. Has great size at 6'3 but needs to gain some weight he is only 165 lbs. Reminds me a lot of Eric Maynor, McCollum decided to stay for his senior year which we don't see very often. Projected to go in the mid-teens in next years draft right now so with a good year he could be going in the late-lottery. The Warriors could have a good team next year like I said if they are healthy and we will get a pick in the 12-22 area right where McCollum is projected. We also have our first-round pick next year, but I think we are going to be pretty good so I think the Jazz are looking at two picks in the mid-teens to early-twenties next year. Unless the Warriors play b ad like they usually do even with all of their talent in the starting-five and the Jazz could have a bad year, but it is doubtful honestly. McCollum was the best guard on the floor when they played Duke and he racked up 25 points and 6 assists in that game.

Mo Williams is our point guard for the next two or three years, but it would be a great idea to grab a point guard in the 2013 draft and let him grow and learn behind Williams. The Jazz could also get a shooting guard or a small forward, even though we have Burks and Hayward just in case as a back-up or if they turn out better. I say they go with a point guard because we can always get a extra shooting guard or a small forward with the MLE this year and next year. If we potentially get rid of Big Al or Millsap it would not be a bad idea to get a extra big because Kanter isn't doing so great but he still has time. If we get a top-5 pick in next years draft I say we target McAdoo for sure or if we get lucky the no brainer would be Muhammed or Noel. A sleeper is Cody Zeller better than his older brother, but he does have t-rex arms, but the potential is definitely there.

I can't wait I think this college season is going to be a great one, next years draft is oozing with talent at almost every position, but like I said 2013 has more depth and talent at the point guard postion than 2012.

When I'm old, and retired, and can afford to just sit around drinking Tequila on a beach - this is the kind of post that I'd be making.

Long way to go though... Loooooooooooooooong way to go...

Lillard came out of nowhere .. not that he's proven at the next level, but he's proof that surprises emerge. Having said that, there are ZERO stud PG's in '13 at this point .. just like '12. '14 will be thin as well (though better than the prior two classes).

^^^

McAdoo and Zeller I really like .. but they are each far from sure things (Zeller has T-Rex arms and McAdoo is a tweener).

Not a bad post, but I disagreed with the above-mentioned.

Any sleeper like Lillard that you can see coming up?

(doesn't have to be great at running a team, passing or athletic, but can really shoot it)

yep .. no pure PG .. quick, great shooting, great passing guys out there (that are obvious) .. ANYWHERE, any age.

The 'next' is '14 Andrew Harrison and hopefully we won't be in the running for a top3 pick.

yep .. no pure PG .. quick, great shooting, great passing guys out there (that are obvious) .. ANYWHERE, any age.

The 'next' is '14 Andrew Harrison and hopefully we won't be in the running for a top3 pick.

Not that Kabongo is an "elite" PG prospect, but he could definitely go in the lottery, and is a great passer and very quick...but his shot needs work. I have a good feeling about him, overall.

Not that Kabongo is an "elite" PG prospect, but he could definitely go in the lottery, and is a great passer and very quick...but his shot needs work. I have a good feeling about him, overall.

Kabongo can do it .. he needs better decision making and stop driving recklessly with no plan. Luckily, Rick Barnes has done nothing to develop players, so Myck can't be held as responsible as some others for a lack of improvement thus far.