What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

I'm not sure if you are serious with some of those takes... Doncic is NOT a better passer than Brown? Doncic is below average athlete but so is Brown. He didn't test Average at the combine... he tested horribly bad in all aspects - explosion, speed, agility. He was last of all SFs in 3 of the drills, second to last in the 4th and third to last in the fifth. By all testing numbers he's a WAY below average athlete.

Yes, I give the slight edge to Brown as a passer even as good as Doncic is. Doncic is a supreme top level scorer and a great passer. Average athlete. If Doncic was at the combine his numbers would suck just like Brown's did.

Bolomboy a couple years had great combine numbers, but he doesn't have great in game recognition skill. I think Brown is the opposite of Bolomboy in that regard.

And Jaren Jackson is the best player in the draft by far.

Hornacek was a very good player. I loved having him. I personally don't think his game would translate that well to today. If we were drafting a 6'4" PG/SG with his shooting but athleticism, where would he get drafted?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rotfl. Is this for real?! During his prime he averaged 19-20 points and 6 assists per game and 40%+ from three with a lightning fast release also Redick was also 6-4 you idiot, Redick wishes he had as good a career as Horny. Horny, in his career was much quicker and athletic before he got to the jazz. He was older and playing on two bad knees. Horny would’ve been a stud in any era or style of basketball, unlike Redick, he wasn’t just a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I give the slight edge to Brown as a passer even as good as Doncic is. Doncic is a supreme top level scorer and a great passer. Average athlete. If Doncic was at the combine his numbers would suck just like Brown's did.

Bolomboy a couple years had great combine numbers, but he doesn't have great in game recognition skill. I think Brown is the opposite of Bolomboy in that regard.

And Jaren Jackson is the best player in the draft by far.

I would take a dudes extensive euro league experience, including the playoffs and translate his passing ability there over another’s 20ish games in one of the weaker conferences in the country.

I think Brown can pass but Doncic’s resume is WAY better than Brown’s.

This thread is getting wild.

I said Hornacek, with us at the end of his career, was comparable to a Reddick or Korver. The conversation stemmed from a comparison of the Warriors vs that 1998 Jazz team. Horny was awesome. Different era. We are arguing over a hypothetical.

Back to picks....

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I would take a dudes extensive euro league experience, including the playoffs and translate his passing ability there over another’s 20ish games in one of the weaker conferences in the country.

Doncic is the truth... people will see...

I haven't spent a ton of time on 2019 prospects, but from what I've seen and what I've heard it will be a horrible class compared to this one and pick #21 this year might indeed be better than pick #11 next year or at the very least they might be comparable. That's why I wouldn't hesitate to trade our next year's pick in order to move up and get whoever we love in this draft... be it Brown, Okobo, Knox... if DL thinks he can get a good starter from this draft somewhere in the teens and that trade becomes available I wouldn't hesitate to include Bradley or the 2019 pick in order to do it.
When anyone says a future draft will suck, they are pretty much solely talking about the projections of the top guys. It really has nothing to do with depth. I think it's pretty impossible to project the depth of a draft past the lottery until you get later into a college season. It's not like last year many would have projected guys like Melvin Frazier, Kevin Huerter, Zhaire Smith, Shai G-A, Elie Okobo, etc to become first round prospects.

If the top 10 guys suck next year relative to the top 10 this year, then that really has no affect on the potential depth. The top 10 guys still go top 10.

When anyone says a future draft will suck, they are pretty much solely talking about the projections of the top guys. It really has nothing to do with depth. I think it's pretty impossible to project the depth of a draft past the lottery until you get later into a college season. It's not like last year many would have projected guys like Melvin Frazier, Kevin Huerter, Zhaire Smith, Shai G-A, Elie Okobo, etc to become first round prospects.

If the top 10 guys suck next year relative to the top 10 this year, then that really has no affect on the potential depth. The top 10 guys still go top 10.
You have no way of knowing which freshmen or foreign players take a jump and become a worthwhile pick in the 20’s (which is where the Jazz should be picking.) Top five/ten doesn’t effect that Jazz plans much at all.

Also, the Jazz should have the opportunity to develop Darius Bazley on the Stars for a year and it would be good to have resources to draft him for the Jazz if they decide it’s worth keeping him long term. Assuming he’s in that range this time next year.

Doncic has a great resume, I agree. I am going by what I am seeing and partly what I hope the future for Brown could be. Doncic's passing is great because of his unreal scoring ability. Brown's has great passing skill without great shooting ability -- plus he can defend. Anyway, it doesn't mean that Brown will emerge as a high end starter in the league, but I think there is a good possibility.

Last edited:

Good point, but still... it's not like drafts with this type of depth(this year's draft) are the norm. The much more likely outcome is that it's nowhere near as deep.

Good point, but still... it's not like drafts with this type of depth(this year's draft) are the norm.
Of course, it feels that way now. . . but five years from now things might not look so good (ala 2015/2016).

I remember hearing how bad the 2013 Draft was. . . And it ended up having three All Star caliber players (Oladipo, Antetokounmpo and Gobert) as well as four really solid starters (Porter, McCollum, Adams and Schroeder) - plus a handful of role and rotational players. Only Oladipo and Porter were top 5 picks.

Good point, but still... it's not like drafts with this type of depth(this year's draft) are the norm. The much more likely outcome is that it's nowhere near as deep.

There have been times they have been right... also if the top ten talent isn’t great it pushes guys into the top ten and the leftovers aren’t as good.

If gms are way down on the 2019 draft right now then maybe we can acquire an additional pick on the cheap.

Who knows... I don’t think I’d recommend deferring a pick unless it was a clear win. I think based on the interview DL gave that we are more likely to take a Simons/Okobo type prospect than an Allen/KBD type prospect. I think we shoot the moon a bit.

=
Here is an interesting interview with DL:

He talked about the mini-camp for vets we are doing at about 7:20. The interesting part is - he said they are inviting college coaches and assistant coaches as well as European coaches to lead some of those workouts and he said that it serves multiple purposes - 1st to give those coaches opportunity to improve their coaching, second.... to scout those coaches for future openings, third - they develop relationships for player intel. This means - those will be coaches that they will be calling later for intel on players they want to draft. He specifically mentioned that they have some French coaches in this year's mini camp, because French basketball is expected to churn some good prospects in the following years(Sekou Doumbouya, Hoard?). My mind also automatically went to ... yeah, you got it - Okobo! One can only hope.

I think Killian Hayes is suppose to be the next big french prospect.

One of the things about 2019 is many of the top talents motors are in question. Except Nassir Little, who always plays with a rabid intensity.

6:01 mark in this clip Troy Brown straight up posterizes Marvin Bagley. Not an athlete, yeah right.

I think people do underrate Brown's athleticism. It's weird how bad he test tho, but he has enough length to go up and dunk someone if he has some space.

You should watch Sekou Doumbouya. He looked real good when I last watched him. He probably goes top 10 next year. Maybe even top 5.
Top5. He could actually go #1 tbh. I think he compares favorably to Jabari. Skill level is very impressive given his physical gifts.

I'd take him top 10 in this draft with no hesitation. Born in late december 2000 too, very young.

Just watched some Killian Hayes highlights. Damn! He looks very impressive.

Huge fan. Lotto talent, he was actually born in Florida. Check out Theo Maledon too. Same born year plays for France, he's the top rated consensus international player that age. Was signed at like 12 years old like Doncic --- Hayes has more upside. Both potential 1st rders.

Theres some potentially gigantic international C's that year too. Few have surfaced already.

Hayes is actually playing in the U17 tournament right now. Keep an eye on their big guy Essome Miyem too if ya check it out

Last edited:
I think Okobo’s ceiling might be higher but I think Huerter can contribute in a role day 1 and also has a high ceiling.
Are you just saying Huerter has a higher ceiling but Okobo’s could possibly be higher, or are you saying something else?