What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Yeah, top 5 seems like a stretch. You could make the case that Anthony Davis isn't even top 5 right now--and I don't see Bagley ever being as good as Davis.
Yeah, there is just something slightly off about Bagley to me. It's probably just nitpicking at this point, but his defensive awareness kind of sucks. Like he completely misses rotations that seem incredibly obvious.

Same thing with Ayton. Dude doesnt even try to block shots that seem incredibly easy for someone his size.

IDK, just a lot of ?'s around everyone right now. I'm not sold on anyone but Doncic.

I'm having a hard time committing to Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson, or Bagley. They all have their warts. Miles Bridges is probably the right pick, but at the moment, I might be talked into taking Robert Williams over all three of these guys.

I'm also trying to like Dzanan Musa. There aren't many 6'9" guys with range and a floater game like his. He just isn't a top-shelf athlete. Is it possible for someone with the athleticism of Omri Casspi to be a star in the NBA?

Ayton comes off as a slightly clumsier version of Patrick Ewing. His size and mobility will definitely impact the game, but I don't think he becomes an outright star. Maybe I need to watch him more.

Kostas Antetokuonmbo isn't playing many minutes, but when he plays, he gives me a few flashbacks to Hassan Whiteside at Marshall. I think he'll make it in the league as a defensive 5 and rim runner type.

Last edited:
l
I'm having a hard time committing to Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson, or Bagley. They all have their warts. Miles Bridges is probably the right pick, but at the moment, I might be talked into taking Robert Williams over all three of these guys.

I'm also trying to like Dzanan Musa. There aren't many 6'9" guys with range and a floater game like his. He just isn't a top-shelf athlete. Is it possible for someone with the athleticism of Omri Casspi to be a star in the NBA?

Ayton comes off as a slightly clumsier version of Patrick Ewing. His size and mobility will definitely impact the game, but I don't think he becomes an outright star. Maybe I need to watch him more.

Kostas Antetokuonmbo isn't playing many minutes, but when he plays, he gives me a few flashbacks to Hassan Whiteside at Marshall. I think he'll make it in the league as a defensive 5 and rim runner type.
lmfao, no way is Kostas anything close to a defensive 5. The dude has a 7'1 wingspan and not even a 9' reach and doesnt even weigh 200 lbs. He is another Thon Maker type, but with less length. That's a bad take. I mean, he could play 5, potentially, against some lineups, but he isnt going to be a rim protector. He is going to be a switchy guy you put in.

And Musa isnt Omir Casspi athletically. Athleticism isnt his problem at all, he is a good athlete. Shows nice quickness and coordination for a guy his height. The problem is he is built like a toothpick.

Robert Williams is a lite Derick Favors 2.0. He is just so limited right now offensively all he provides is defense. He cant stretch the floor.

Miles Bridges is an anomaly. He isnt shooting it very well but is super athletic. He would make a good PF if he wasnt 6'6" with an average wingspan.

Bagley has a lot of raw talent and he seems to have the work ethic to make himself better unlike Ayton that seems to just coast.

Musa is interesting but i prefer length and he has none. Late first pick and I would love it.

Kostas is very very very raw. I like how he covers the floor with his steps. He is like his brother in that 2 steps from 3pt line to rim (pretty close) Rudy can do that also.

I like what Killian Tillie is doing. He is still very raw too but man he has some great length. He is a decent shooter to boot. again late first pick however.

Hachimura is raw also but I just like his demeanor on the court he seems to really enjoy the game. His work ethic could make him a decent player.

Jaren Jackson has been kind of blah offensively but has shown some good instincts defensively. He is probably a center more then a PF at this point.

Mo Bamba drives me nuts because he should be crashing the rim on PnRs but he stands around the 3 point line. Reminds me of manute bol

My way way way too early prospects that I love and hate after barely watching them

Love: Kevin Knox

Not sold on: DeAndre Ayton, Miles Bridges

No ****ing clue: Marvin Bagley

Kaiser Gates, 6'8" Jr forward at Xavier is a very serious sleeper candidate. 3'n'D written all over him, I know some of y'all are gonna be thoroughly impressed. 45% from deep on 10.2 attempts so far. He's got hops too.

Just turned 21 a few weeks back.

Pgab, what do you think of Trae Young and Marvin Bagley based on what you've seen this season (meaning throw away what you thought about them pre-college season)?

Just watched a bunch of Bagley highlights. I am a fan. He's really, really skilled. It takes a special athlete to score in the mid range and at the basket. He can do it. I think he will be able to stretch reasonably well in the nba too eventually.

Pgab, what do you think of Trae Young and Marvin Bagley based on what you've seen this season (meaning throw away what you thought about them pre-college season)?

I think it's utterly ridiculous to even try and evaluate Marvin Bagley from what we've seen, he should've been #1 in the last draft to be perfectly honest..This is one of the all-time examples of how stupid the 1ndone rule is, you're telling me this kid isn't allowed to make $$$ playing basketball and has to demonstrate his profieceny vs this **** competition, is this Cuba we're living in? -- this looks like he's playing against HS kids.... This is an ultimate "has bigger fish to fry" story.. the word retarded is apropos.

he is going #1, that's settled, idk what kind of debate there's even to be had - Gun to your head, 250+ million on the line, you're gonna pass on Bagley ? are u kidding me.. PKM could've told u that years ago tho...

This is a Wiggins situation --- hate it or love it, he's going #1, it's a lock, he'd be starting right now for several NBA teams and probably could put up a relatively easy 15ppg.

In college Bagley will always be "Johnny on the spot", you will come to realize this if you watch him on offense long enough.

Shaka Smart threw that game away.. I was ****ing pissed.. 6'11" (7'5" wingspan) James Banks was sitting on the bench in the doghouse while they put 6'4½" Andrew Jones on him.. Florida put 6'6" Igor Koulechev on him --- It would be better for this kid to be in the NBA.

Simply Bagley can't be tested in college, he is the test and none of these amatuers have a chance to pass it.

I view him thru the lens of the best offensive players I've seen in college and really it's KD #1 and then after that, he seems like he could even go as high as #2.. If u really watch closely, he moves so well that he can goad defenders into 3-second in the paint calls nonstop but the refs don't even call it because they're dead-meat already anyways.

If u want to see a case study on what "scorers instincts" look like on a bigman, look no further than MB III.

There's not even any sort of eloquent argument to be made on the other side. This **** is not helpful to this kid compared to the NBA --- you gotta be kidding me. This is why I always repeat "treat things on a case-by-case basis"

I have nothing more to say on him either, I guess I'll just say it one time -- Doncic is not going #1 over him, it's not even a discussion worth entertaining.

Trae Young is trending very quickly into the lottery range, definitely top-20, him and Landry Shamet have overtaken Trevon Duval (and it's not even that close tbh) on my board, PG's that can really shoot the 3 are marching up across the board tbh. I think he looks like Steph Curry, now I know thats something thats drawn a ton of ire and has been thrown around for 2+ years, to me it's kinda undeniable tho, the way he moves around the court is similar, Jay Bilas uses this term Shot integrity that I like, he's got Steph Curry levels of shot integrity, the defense is fully aware it's an all-hands-on-deck type of situation and he still lights teams up..

Thing that really is gonna boost Trae Young's possible draft spot is this, teams are gonna look at him and think 2 things; 1) the obvious, this is a fantastic young pg prospect and 2) he could probably give us some damn good minutes at backup PG sooner than later. If there's ever a player that profiles as one who's offense will outweigh whatever defensive lapses, it;s Trae Young, he'll trade 3's for 2's with ya.... Patty Mills could've been used in a starting capacity at somepoint, I think Young clearly profiles as a superior prospect. It's something to keep an eye on, I'd peg him right around 27ppg.

I think it's utterly ridiculous to even try and evaluate Marvin Bagley from what we've seen, he should've been #1 in the last draft to be perfectly honest..This is one of the all-time examples of how stupid the 1ndone rule is, you're telling me this kid isn't allowed to make $$$ playing basketball and has to demonstrate his profieceny vs this **** competition, is this Cuba we're living in? -- this looks like he's playing against HS kids.... This is an ultimate "has bigger fish to fry" story.. the word retarded is apropos.

he is going #1, that's settled, idk what kind of debate there's even to be had - Gun to your head, 250+ million on the line, you're gonna pass on Bagley ? are u kidding me.. PKM could've told u that years ago tho...

This is a Wiggins situation --- hate it or love it, he's going #1, it's a lock, he'd be starting right now for several NBA teams and probably could put up a relatively easy 15ppg.

In college Bagley will always be "Johnny on the spot", you will come to realize this if you watch him on offense long enough.

Shaka Smart threw that game away.. I was ****ing pissed.. 6'11" (7'5" wingspan) James Banks was sitting on the bench in the doghouse while they put 6'4½" Andrew Jones on him.. Florida put 6'6" Igor Koulechev on him --- It would be better for this kid to be in the NBA.

Simply Bagley can't be tested in college, he is the test and none of these amatuers have a chance to pass it.

I view him thru the lens of the best offensive players I've seen in college and really it's KD #1 and then after that, he seems like he could even go as high as #2.. If u really watch closely, he moves so well that he can goad defenders into 3-second in the paint calls nonstop but the refs don't even call it because they're dead-meat already anyways.

If u want to see a case study on what "scorers instincts" look like on a bigman, look no further than MB III.

There's not even any sort of eloquent argument to be made on the other side. This **** is not helpful to this kid compared to the NBA --- you gotta be kidding me. This is why I always repeat "treat things on a case-by-case basis"

I have nothing more to say on him either, I guess I'll just say it one time -- Doncic is not going #1 over him, it's not even a discussion worth entertaining.

Trae Young is trending very quickly into the lottery range, definitely top-20, him and Landry Shamet have overtaken Trevon Duval (and it's not even that close tbh) on my board, PG's that can really shoot the 3 are marching up across the board tbh. I think he looks like Steph Curry, now I know thats something thats drawn a ton of ire and has been thrown around for 2+ years, to me it's kinda undeniable tho, the way he moves around the court is similar, Jay Bilas uses this term Shot integrity that I like, he's got Steph Curry levels of shot integrity, the defense is fully aware it's an all-hands-on-deck type of situation and he still lights teams up..

Thing that really is gonna boost Trae Young's possible draft spot is this, teams are gonna look at him and think 2 things; 1) the obvious, this is a fantastic young pg prospect and 2) he could probably give us some damn good minutes at backup PG sooner than later. If there's ever a player that profiles as one who's offense will outweigh whatever defensive lapses, it;s Trae Young, he'll trade 3's for 2's with ya.... Patty Mills could've been used in a starting capacity at somepoint, I think Young clearly profiles as a superior prospect. It's something to keep an eye on, I'd peg him right around 27ppg.

I won't argue most of what you said about Bagley but saying he is a consensus #1 pick in this years draft is a little premature considering that Luka Doncic would be starting on a lot of teams right now in the NBA. He is playing against men and playing very well. at 6'8" he could realistically play 1 to 3 for most teams and eventually he could be able to play the 4 in the NBA (He has a good frame). I couldn't even begin to tell you who was the last player that had his talent at such a young age.

Now I will say that his average athleticism does concern me and how that will translate to that NBA but getting in a good off season regimen will help some but dang the kid is doing it at a level of basketball above that of the NCAA and just below the NBA.

Trae Young does remind me a lot of Curry when i watch him shoot, but dang would the Jazz draft another trae? Would the 3rd time be the charm?

I am a huge Landry Shamet fan.