What's new

Free agency chat on ESPN

dwill#1

Go on and ask ?'s about the Jazz. Hollinger said this on two questions asked about Booz and Ak

John Hollinger on any possible AK deals- Hang on and see what happens with Boozer. If he goes, AK moves up to the 4 and I think he could thrive in that slot. If Boozer stays, they almost have to trade AK just to get under the tax.

Booz to Magic deal rumor- Interestingly, Boozer attended Game 2 of the Eastern conference finals last year and was talking to Dwight Howard during stoppages in play. I imagine Jazz would want Gortat, Anderson and the trade exception from the Turkoglu deal.

John Hollinger:
I'm sure they'll inquire but he's restricted and I don't think Golden State is letting him get away.

When asked about Anthony Morrow coming to the Jazz. DAMN YOU HOLLINGER!!!!

Booz to Magic deal rumor- Interestingly, Boozer attended Game 2 of the Eastern conference finals last year and was talking to Dwight Howard during stoppages in play. I imagine Jazz would want Gortat, Anderson and the trade exception from the Turkoglu deal.

I had forgotten the Magic had a trade exemption. This makes things easier for the Jazz financially... now we just need them to bite on Boozer. Honestly, this is their best shot at competing in the East. Anderson and his little contract would be nice.

If the Jazz were to do a Anderson, Gortat and trade exception for Booz I'd do it in heart beat. Why- Cause you get your defensive center, get a solid back up for Milly and would have 13,364,200 in trade exceptions. I would rather have Pietrus, Gortat and exception though but Anderson works.

This all makes sense, we worked out anderson when he was drafted and wanted him pretty badly but didn't get him. We wait for Booz's contract to go up and get the defensive center KOC has wanted, Anderson who he wanted in the draft and another trade exception.

If the Jazz were to do a Anderson, Gortat and trade exception for Booz I'd do it in heart beat. Why- Cause you get your defensive center, get a solid back up for Milly and would have 13,364,200 in trade exceptions. I would rather have Pietrus, Gortat and exception though but Anderson works.

This all makes sense, we worked out anderson when he was drafted and wanted him pretty badly but didn't get him. We wait for Booz's contract to go up and get the defensive center KOC has wanted, Anderson who he wanted in the draft and another trade exception.

Can somebody explain how trade exceptions work? This is one thing I've never understood. How could we use our trade exception(s) to help us?

Anderson gives us the outside shooting to try to replace Korver(not saying he's as good but he's coming along)

that's not how trade exceptions work. orlando can't combine the TPE with two other assets to trade for boozer. a TPE can only be used to acquire a player whose salary fits into the exception. the magic could combine gortat/anderson to get boozer, and then use the TPE to absorb another player, but we wouldn't inherit their same TPE... it would create a new one worth whatever that other outgoing player's salary is.

I had forgotten the Magic had a trade exemption. This makes things easier for the Jazz financially... now we just need them to bite on Boozer. Honestly, this is their best shot at competing in the East. Anderson and his little contract would be nice.
NBAnerd is correct, of course. A trade exception can only be used up to the value of the player.

The Jazz have a TPE themselves of $6M or so coming from Harpring's deal. They can use it separately to absorb one of the Magic's contract I think.

yes. i think it's 6.5M (meaning they could take back up to 6.6M). that would allow them to, for example, absorb gortat's salary and boozer would only need to make 14.2M to start in order to allow the jazz to take back carter and anderson.

BUT... those three guys represent 25M in new salary commitments for a team that's a few million away from the LT threshold. in other words, to do that deal, the jazz would also have to trade TWO of the following into another team's cap space to avoid paying the tax: memo, AK, sap. memo has no trade value right now, so the jazz would be giving up sap and AK (assuming an under-the-cap team would want to spend their money on those two instead of the available free agents).

what does that leave us with?

C: gortat, memo (injured), fes (if re-signed)
PF: anderson, evans, koufos
SF: carter, hayward
SG: matthews, miles
PG: williams, price

how many games would that lineup win? i'd say maybe 40-45, but they're not making the playoff in the west.

Can somebody explain how trade exceptions work? This is one thing I've never understood. How could we use our trade exception(s) to help us?

nice handle, btw.

a TPE just allows you to complete a trade non-simultaneously. in other words, from a CBA standpoint, the jazz never "completed" the harpring trade because they didn't get a player back in the deal. if an over-the-cap team trades a player away, they can take back (in the same transaction) a player making up to 125% of the traded player's salary plus $100k. if you DON'T take a player back right away, you create an exception to take back up to 100% of the traded salary plust $100K for a year after the original trade. basically it's a credit or an "IOU" that allows you to take back salary over the salary cap, even if you don't do it right away.

the thing is, you don't really "trade" a TPE like ford suggested. if we use the 6.5M exception from harpring to acquire a player making 5M, then the other team doesn't inherit that full exception... our non-simultaneous trade is now complete, and they have just created a separate 5M TPE that will be good for one year to allow them to complete their own non-simultaneous trade.

yes. i think it's 6.5M (meaning they could take back up to 6.6M). that would allow them to, for example, absorb gortat's salary and boozer would only need to make 14.2M to start in order to allow the jazz to take back carter and anderson.

BUT... those three guys represent 25M in new salary commitments for a team that's a few million away from the LT threshold. in other words, to do that deal, the jazz would also have to trade TWO of the following into another team's cap space to avoid paying the tax: memo, AK, sap. memo has no trade value right now, so the jazz would be giving up sap and AK (assuming an under-the-cap team would want to spend their money on those two instead of the available free agents).

what does that leave us with?

C: gortat, memo (injured), fes (if re-signed)
PF: anderson, evans, koufos
SF: carter, hayward
SG: matthews, miles
PG: williams, price

how many games would that lineup win? i'd say maybe 40-45, but they're not making the playoff in the west.

One slight tweak to this is Boozer likely becomes a Base Year Player. But the fine print on that is he would trade at around 12 million for Cap purposes. So they probably could not take Carter for Boozer without more players being involved.

You could clarify this for me, though: Since Orlando is over the Cap, they can't create a TPE right? In other words, we couldn't trade Boozer straight up for Anderson with Orlando creating a TPE for the rest? If that's the case, then we would basically need to take back 9-10 million in salary from Orlando in just a straight S&T, whereas an Under the Cap team would be able to make up the difference in Cap Space by way of an S&T?

Great information guys...I'm impressed. So given all of the above information, what are your most logical predictions for who stays and goes, and who we end up with? The Orlando deal seems to make some sense for both sides personnel wise. What about New York for David Lee, etc.?

Great information guys...I'm impressed. So given all of the above information, what are your most logical predictions for who stays and goes, and who we end up with? The Orlando deal seems to make some sense for both sides personnel wise. What about New York for David Lee, etc.?

1. Jazz lose Boozer
2. Jazz lose Korver
3. Jazz sign Jeffers to 2 year deal
4. End of free agency

One slight tweak to this is Boozer likely becomes a Base Year Player. But the fine print on that is he would trade at around 12 million for Cap purposes. So they probably could not take Carter for Boozer without more players being involved.

actually, a player only becomes BYC if he receives a raise greater than 20% on the new contract. in the scenario i laid out above, he'd be signing for about 14.2 (roughly a 12% raise from his 09-10 salary) so he wouldn't be BYC in that scenario.

You could clarify this for me, though: Since Orlando is over the Cap, they can't create a TPE right? In other words, we couldn't trade Boozer straight up for Anderson with Orlando creating a TPE for the rest? If that's the case, then we would basically need to take back 9-10 million in salary from Orlando in just a straight S&T, whereas an Under the Cap team would be able to make up the difference in Cap Space by way of an S&T?

this is correct... orlando can only take back 125% of the salary they send away + 100K. so whatever boozer's starting salary (BSS) is, orlando would have to give up:

(BSS -100K) x .8