What's new

Free at last. Or are we?

I think it's more likely that Cuban will wind up being a revolutionary cog in bringing sports into the modern era in the next 20 or so years. It's funny how most people still think he's an idiot, but the dude has a good head on his shoulders and money to get those ideas rolling.

In some way or another, the BCS is going down and I think they know it. If they were smart, they'd compromise. Use the computers and the voters to figure out the best 8 teams, then have the best 8 teams play at the end of the season.

I would do 16 teams. That is a 4 week playoff series. The season would end at the same time or later then the current system. I also just want to say that Mark Cuban would be the absolute man if he could pull this off.

I like Cuban. And this would be awesome if it got done. But....

Cuban said he has talked to two athletic directors from BCS conferences who were extremely enthusiastic about the idea. He intends to contact several school presidents and state senators in the coming weeks to determine whether the idea is worth pursuing.

"Hey Pres of Texas, Cubster here, hey I'm just calling to see if you're interested in a playoff?"
*click*

Why would any BCS school President agree to a playoff? The Utes and Hornfrogs are two teams that have busted the BCS. However, even they probably wouldn't support a playoff system now that they got their deals in place.

Fans want the playoffs.
And state Presidents who aren't in BCS conferences want playoffs.
But I don't think many who already are in the BCS would want a playoff. Unless it guarantees them a lot more money....

I like Cuban. And this would be awesome if it got done. But....

"Hey Pres of Texas, Cubster here, hey I'm just calling to see if you're interested in a playoff?"
*click*

Why would any BCS school President agree to a playoff? The Utes and Hornfrogs are two teams that have busted the BCS. However, even they probably wouldn't support a playoff system now that they got their deals in place.

Fans want the playoffs.
And state Presidents who aren't in BCS conferences want playoffs.
But I don't think many who already are in the BCS would want a playoff. Unless it guarantees them a lot more money....

That's just it, I am sure the money would be there. Look at the amount they get from March Madness, $11 billion TV deal, and that money goes to the NCAA and the teams involved. I am certain that they already looked into it and determined that the current format generates more money than any alternative. That is always the driver after all.

Oh goody, the 20,000th person who has a plan to end the BCS and needs to raise some money to do it. We've never heard this story before.

That's just it, I am sure the money would be there. Look at the amount they get from March Madness, $11 billion TV deal, and that money goes to the NCAA and the teams involved. I am certain that they already looked into it and determined that the current format generates more money than any alternative. That is always the driver after all.

It's not that it creates more money overall. They don't want to change because the current deal keeps more money with the schools that control college football. If they go to a playoff system they have to share more money with more people and they can't guarantee the schools benefiting from the BCS system will get more money.

I had a discussion with some guys the other day and this article kind of brings it up:

Does the college football season already = playoffs?

You can argue that the current regular season is basically a large playoff platform where one loss means you are basically out.

I dunno if I fully buy that, but the College football regular season is extremely exciting because of the BCS.

I had a discussion with some guys the other day and this article kind of brings it up:

Does the college football season already = playoffs?

You can argue that the current regular season is basically a large playoff platform where one loss means you are basically out.

I dunno if I fully buy that, but the College football regular season is extremely exciting because of the BCS.

That's a tired argument and is easily disproven. All it takes is more than one team to go undefeated and that whole premise unravels, and FORGET when a team that's lost a game wins it all and an undefeated doesn't.

All fans are asking is that NCAA football D-I football be treated like EVERY OTHER TEAM COMPETITION IN EXISTENCE where there's a clear, decisive champion. The ONLY way to do that is a playoff. Period. End of story.

The BCS is a ****ing anti-trust piece of **** juggernaut. Period.

That's a tired argument and is easily disproven. All it takes is more than one team to go undefeated and that whole premise unravels, and FORGET when a team that's lost a game wins it all and an undefeated doesn't.

All fans are asking is that NCAA football D-I football be treated like EVERY OTHER TEAM COMPETITION IN EXISTENCE where there's a clear, decisive champion. The ONLY way to do that is a playoff. Period. End of story.

The BCS is a ****ing anti-trust piece of **** juggernaut. Period.

What a pathetic bitter fool. Anti-trust, ha.