What's new

Gal Mekel - Israeli PG

margodydek

"NBA prospect Gal Mekel keeps boosting stock. Just led Brad Greenberg-coached @MaccabiHaifa to Israeli title game v @MaccabiElectra Tel Aviv"

"After Thursday's title game, I'm told Mekel will come to States to audtion for Bucks & other NBA teams"

"Mekel is PG with size and PnR skill who previously drew interest from Utah Jazz. Legit shot to join @Casspi18 as only Israelis in NBA."

- Mark Stein (ESPN)

Thoughts?

Signing Mekel gives Jazz some wide open options at the #14 and #21.
Dump Mo Williams, Mekel starts, McNeal is backup?
Then Jazz can go for BPA on all picks?

I'm not sure Mekel can be an NBA starter. At least not yet. I love his game and saw glimpses of greatness but he will need the time to adjust, and a good coaching staff to raise his fittness to NBA level. Anyway he'll be an excelent addition to the Jazz. He is realy a smart player with abilty to make his teammates better. Lets sign him.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Plus I get tons of Israeli media talking about the Jazz. Help me out with this one guys..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Here's a question karpasov.
Not intended to be racist either.
Please excuse if it seems so.
Are Jewish players and Muslim players able to play together?
Would Kanter and Mekel be able to be teammates?
This thought crossed my mind and you are certainly able to answer this.
Thank you.

Here's a question karpasov.
Not intended to be racist either.
Please excuse if it seems so.
Are Jewish players and Muslim players able to play together?
Would Kanter and Mekel be able to be teammates?
This thought crossed my mind and you are certainly able to answer this.
Thank you.

Yes, your question can seem a bit racist but I understand the context in which it is asked so I will accept it and try to answer. There should be NO PROBLEM AT ALL with Jews playing.together with Muslims. The reality in Israel is much similar to the US than you think. Of course there are racists, like in every society, but the majority of people here will have no problem with that. Heck, We even have Jewish and Muslim players playing together for Israel's national teams.
So yes, I do see Mekel and Kanter play together. I actually think Mekel playing style can.realy compliment Kanter's.

Anway - thanks for asking and not assuming anything. :thumbup:

karpasov, another question if you don't mind, since you seem to have a familiarity with Mekel's game.

I've followed Mekel's game lines a bit this year after hearing last year that the Jazz were intrigued by his pick & roll play. But I don't see stats that look much more impressive than many others in his league (or even his own team). Could you tell us why Mekel might have NBA potential where the vast majority of players in his league don't? Because it's certainly not clear from the stats.

Yes, your question can seem a bit racist but I understand the context in which it is asked so I will accept it and try to answer. There should be NO PROBLEM AT ALL with Jews playing.together with Muslims. The reality in Israel is much similar to the US than you think. Of course there are racists, like in every society, but the majority of people here will have no problem with that. Heck, We even have Jewish and Muslim players playing together for Israel's national teams.
So yes, I do see Mekel and Kanter play together. I actually think Mekel playing style can.realy compliment Kanter's.
Anway - thanks for asking and not assuming anything. :thumbup:

Thanks kasparov
That's exactly the answer I was hoping for.
Thanks for understanding my question.

Looks like Mekel's team just upset a pretty good Maccabi Tel-Aviv team (David Blatt's team) for Israeli league title. Mekel with 21 points, 7 assets.

Saw one report that said he'll fly immediately to U.S. to try out for Jazz and perhaps other teams as well as for Bucks. Hope that report is true and that the Jazz at least get a look at him again this year.