What's new

GAME 1: Little Ricky's journey to the playoffs -- Jazz @ Thunder 4/15/18 4:30 pm MST

Some of the officiating in the middle of the game was probably by far the worse I've seen all season long. I can't believe it took Rubio to get whacked in the face to finally get the call, after he pushed the ground, then hit on the head, AND THEN smacked in the face to get the call. While Gobert is getting pushed in the back from Adams and gets called for a foul. That was hilarious at best on that call
Rubio: He doesn't get the calls because he has earned a reputation for overreacting to minor contact. If every time you get touched you fall to the floor, then the refs are going to be looking at the play with a skeptical eye when you are legitimately knocked to the floor. Also, if you're trying hard to win a thespian award, then you are not concentrating on the game.

Gobert: Rudy will just have to figure out how to be effective without relying on the refs. It would help if he would quit bitching about getting fouled on every shot attempt.

I can't recall a single time where Donovan bitched about a non-call, he just picks himself up and runs to the other end of the floor. I wish certain Jazz veterans would follow the rookie's example.

Jazz need to be more savvy... and by savvy I mean slightly dirty. If you watched whenever Gobert was boxing out for any rebound, one of the Thunder players not named Adams would grab Gobert's arm, jersey, or anything to prevent him from getting a rebound. I didn't see a lot of that from Jazz players. It's the playoffs... teams will get away with that and I hope the Jazz realize this going forward in the series.

Rubio completely sucked today.

When he's bad, he's really bad. There's a reason he's open for 18 shots. Long-term, we really need an upgrade at PG. Can't have a dude who can't shoot a lick, it really hurts.
Huh, I thought this argument was put to bed last January.

He's from new zealand, think canada but with more sheep
here is how it is here in spring...:)
d941d13a2cc0fd69ebd94f0015c74ef5.jpg

^^

NZ is heaven compared to the frozen wasteland that is Canada.

Only Vancouver has decent weather.

Reactions: MVP
Looking at that again that could have and probably should have been a flagrant foul from Russ. That second one he goes right at his head on purpose with an elbow.

I was just pissed they didn't go review it... they go review every potential clear path foul for 45 minutes but can't review one where a guy takes a couple swipes at a dudes face. Kind of on the coach not to ask for it though. I'd always ask because many times in slow mo those look worse than they really are.

Rubio: He doesn't get the calls because he has earned a reputation for overreacting to minor contact. If every time you get touched you fall to the floor, then the refs are going to be looking at the play with a skeptical eye when you are legitimately knocked to the floor. Also, if you're trying hard to win a thespian award, then you are not concentrating on the game.

Gobert: Rudy will just have to figure out how to be effective without relying on the refs. It would help if he would quit bitching about getting fouled on every shot attempt.

I can't recall a single time where Donovan bitched about a non-call, he just picks himself up and runs to the other end of the floor. I wish certain Jazz veterans would follow the rookie's example.

Not really...CP3 flops and whines all the time and it has worked for him. Favors doesn't say anything and plays through contact and I still think he gets one of the ********* whistles in the league. Dude gets murdered without calls on the regular. The NBA regularly rewards flopping and bitching... its a sad fact. The MVP of the damn league is a master at tricking refs and has made a living on drawing BS fouls... to the point where guys can't put their hands anywhere near him or he will bait the refs into a BS foul.

Jazz need to be more savvy... and by savvy I mean slightly dirty. If you watched whenever Gobert was boxing out for any rebound, one of the Thunder players not named Adams would grab Gobert's arm, jersey, or anything to prevent him from getting a rebound. I didn't see a lot of that from Jazz players. It's the playoffs... teams will get away with that and I hope the Jazz realize this going forward in the series.
Bruh, Gobert tried to do that **** and he got in foul trouble.

Bruh, Gobert tried to do that **** and he got in foul trouble.

Which is part of the problem but exactly he got called for screening out the defender and grabbing Adams on one time... things Adams does on damn near every play.

If anything this series will make it readily obvious that The Jazz just need a bit more fire power on offense.

Utah may still win - they've been counted out before and proved a lot of people wrong. And if OKC's season is any indication of how the playoffs will go, they'll probably lay a big egg on Wednesday night.

But this theory about an elite defense being just as valuable as having an elite offense was exposed big time last night. In the NBA, the best defense for countering a superstar who's shooting lights out is a good offense.
It's one game, OKC offense isnt elite, OKC's defense is actually better than their offense (closer to being a top 5 defense than they are a top 5 offense, in terms of points per 100). How is this exposed in one game?

OKC's offense was like 1 point per 100 possessions better than Utah's this year too, so yeah, it's not like OKC has an elite offense at all. The Jazz have that superstar who can shoot lights out and win a game too bud, and he is only a rookie.

Donovan will bitch to refs in due time. It's a thing you should encourage.

I was just pissed they didn't go review it... they go review every potential clear path foul for 45 minutes but can't review one where a guy takes a couple swipes at a dudes face. Kind of on the coach not to ask for it though. I'd always ask because many times in slow mo those look worse than they really are.

It is hard to tell because Rubio does over react to everything.

He already does, he picks his battles and talks to the refs during breaks. He might start doing it more but it is definitely not something to encourage.
Bitching to the refs is a mark of a star. Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Chris Paul, James Harden, Kevin Durant, etc. It's comes with the territory.

Bitching to the refs is a mark of a star. Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Chris Paul, James Harden, Kevin Durant, etc. It's comes with the territory.
No, it is not. Just because some players do it does not mean everyone should. Refs are just like the rest of us.

No one likes someone complaining about every last call and whining. People do respect being talked to like an adult and the refs will see through out the game if something is happening they are missing.

Refs almost never change their calls. Players get more calls because they play aggressive, force physicality and are smart players not because of whining.

No, it is not. Just because some players do it does not mean everyone should. Refs are just like the rest of us.

No one likes someone complaining about every last call and whining. People do respect being talked to like an adult and the refs will see through out the game if something is happening they are missing.

Refs almost never change their calls. Players get more calls because they play aggressive, force physicality and are smart players not because of whining.

It’s never about changing that call it’s about the next call... and it works. Like you said no one likes to hear complaining... the next time it happens the star generally gets the call because the red doesn’t want to hear it. Home teams generally get a better whistle... why? Cuz they will hear about it and they are human.

Harden, wade, cp3, manu... all floppers and whiners and they get a ton of calls. We shouldn’t be dicks about it and it is better to get back and complain when there is a stop in plays, but I have no doubt the behavior is rewarded... unless you go full Cousins or Rasheed. It’s the worst part of the game imo.