What's new

Game Thread Game thread calendar doesn't show a game today but we play the Nets

Added to Calendar: 01-20-23

Get bent man. Royce started his career with Utah and was a long time player. Acting like fans should not appreciate former players is so lame.

You can do whatever you want. I personally wouldn’t root for opposite teams players when they’re playing us but that’s just me.

What I don’t understand is why we didn’t blitz Kyrie more. We did it once and it worked at around the 3:30 mark then never did it again and Kyrie proceeded to shred their defense. It made no sense to not try to get the ball out of his hands.

PS. Ben Simmons is trash. Lol
Our game plan, if there was one, made zero sense. I kept waiting for something like this. Especially when it became obvious that Kyrie was literally the only player we had to guard AND they were going to play Simmons for most of the game. How our entire coaching staff didn’t figure this out gave me flashbacks to our series against the Clippers.

Neither could anyone on the jazz last night. He scored 48 points
There aren’t many players who can defend Kyrie. He’s one of the best guards in the league. It has to be a team effort. I do think top level coaches and teams figure out ways to slow him down/force him to give it up. When they’re at full strength? That’s hard to do because you’re most likely going to leave KD open. But without KD, stopping Kyrie with a good team defense should’ve been much easier. Especially since they played Simmons for 37 mins. I kept waiting for us to exploit this and it just never happened.

Why weren’t we exploiting this like teams do to Gobert? Force Simmons to become the scorer. If Simmons goes for 10+ pts then we deserve to lose. Instead, we continued to let Kyrie torch us and JC chuck.

One last thing, when our Kansas rookie is in the game, why do we park him in a corner and ignore him? Is that his game? Why not try and get him an alley oop, a back door pass, post up, or attempt to get him involved in any way? Anyone else remember Mark Jackson throwing alley oops to AK47 to get him involved? Curl routes and midrange jumpers to Korver and Harpring? Back doors to Brewer?

This is my biggest problem with the modern-day NBA. Everyone is a “free flowing 3 pt shooting Steph curry camping on the perimeter cuz analytics or something something” and every team is the warriors. Why not play to strengths and exploit matchups? Perhaps our strengths aren’t to put Chuck other teams? Maybe some of our players would benefit by playing slower and posting up? Basketball has become a boring 3 pt shooting contest. Every team plays like this with perhaps the exception of Memphis where they still have a guard that takes it to the rack and a big who doesn’t just Chuck up 3s.

Last edited:
I’m starting to think we should take a close look at Cason Wallace in the draft.
At some point we have to have almost a complete turnover of our guards. Maybe keep JC (This is a struggle for me) I don't want any player that I have to hide on defense. Most of you on here are more in the know when it comes to college prospects. I need someone who is positional sized well with great court vision that can run an offense and defend well (doesn't have to be great).

Our game plan, if there was one, made zero sense. I kept waiting for something like this. Especially when it became obvious that Kyrie was literally the only player we had to guard AND they were going to play Simmons for most of the game. How our entire coaching staff didn’t figure this out gave me flashbacks to our series against the Clippers.
It would probably help if Hardy actually played our best perimeter defender in NAW. His dislike of NAW is one of the more baffling things that I have ever seen.

It would probably help if Hardy actually played our best perimeter defender in NAW. His dislike of NAW is one of the more baffling things that I have ever seen.
I don’t get his lineups at times. I thought Conley and JC looked awful and Sexton gave us some life. Sexton often has the right idea, attack, score/get a foul but often I see Hardy chewing his *** out. It makes no sense because JC, although entertaining, takes some of the worst momentum killing shots of the team.

I was really disappointed in our game plan last night. I mean really, how many more times do you need to see Kyrie just dribble down and score before you figure out it’s going to be “one of those games” where he’s going to try and outscore your entire team? Sadly, we never figured that out and never tried to get the ball out of his hands and force some other *** clown, like Simmons, to score. That’s another thing that stings. It’s not like the Nets were surrounded with great shooters. Why we didn’t play the Gobert defense against Claxton and/or Simmons to trap/blitz Kyrie and force the ball out of his hands is beyond me.

A few trades and we'll be good to go. As long as we're top-5 bad we have a chance at #1.

The fact we can potentially add a few 1sts to our stockpile while also having a chance at a top-5 guy is exciting. I would rather do this than get a play-in and lose early in the playoffs.
The Jazz will not be top-5 bad, whatever they do. They would have to go at most 5-28 the rest of the way.

Didn't time stamp it, but they were doing various levels of doubling/hedging/blitzing throughout the game.
Well name at least one possession. And hedging was what Kessler was often attempting to do. It has pretty much nothing (even if done properly) to do with the aggressive doubling which worked perfectly for at least one play.

The Jazz will not be top-5 bad, whatever they do. They would have to go at most 5-28 the rest of the way.

Well name at least one possession. And hedging was what Kessler was often attempting to do. It has pretty much nothing (even if done properly) to do with the aggressive doubling which worked perfectly for at least one play.

We doubled Kyrie after it was too late and one possession led to a wide open Seth Curry three.

The hate of our former players is unbelievable.
Sorry, but this is total bull ****. Most everyone really likes all of the players past and present. Some just get a little upset when their performance helps beat our current roster because they're, you know, fans of the Jazz. Have you not watched the reception the past players have gotten?

When he's on no one can. Just made a few mistakes early and he got too much of a rhythm. I guess racist thrive in Utah tho lmfao
What does that last sentence have to do with anything? Did something happen last night involving racism that I missed?

The hate of our former players is unbelievable.
Interesting. I didn't see anyone in the entire thread show any hate towards Royce. The crowd gave him lots of love. Royce acknowledged the love after the game too.

Sorry, but this is total bull ****. Most everyone really likes all of the players past and present. Some just get a little upset when their performance helps beat our current roster because they're, you know, fans of the Jazz. Have you not watched the reception the past players have gotten?

This guy gets it.

Agreed. NAW had a really good stretch of games. Everyone blown away by his play. People talking about him being the point guard of the future. People saying he is better than Sexton. He has a little bit of struggles (like literally every other player not named Lauri) and boom, DNPCDoghouse.

Oh shutup. You got to be a complete bozo not to have seen how much Royce was scapegoated and hated on at times the past two seasons. Plenty of people acted like we scammed the Nets on the trade.