What's new

George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/politics/george-h-w-bush-dead/index.html

(CNN)Former US President George H.W. Bush has died at age 94 in Houston, according to his spokesperson Jim McGrath.

Born into privilege and a tradition of service, Bush was a son of a senator, celebrated World War II combat pilot, student athlete, Texas oilman, Republican congressman, national party chairman, pioneering diplomat and spy chief. After his own 1980 presidential campaign came up short, he served two terms as Ronald Reagan's vice president before reaching the pinnacle of political power by winning the 1988 presidential election, soundly defeating Democrat Michael Dukakis.
After losing the White House in 1992, Bush became a widely admired political elder who leapt out of airplanes to mark birthday milestones. Emphasizing the generosity of his soul, he forged a close -- and unlikely -- friendship with Democrat Bill Clinton, the man who ended his presidency. When Parkinson's disease mostly silenced him in public, Bush flashed his sense of humor by sporting colorful striped socks.
Bush's death comes after his wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush, passed away on April 17 aged 92. Before her funeral, Bush was pictured in a wheelchair gazing at his wife's flower-covered casket, in a moment that encapsulated their life-long love affair

He had a long, good life and was a decent person. RIP.

Between Willie Horton and his saying I could not be a true American, I'm holding off on "decent".
I heard recently that the "true American" comment cannot be confirmed. Do you have a good link?

How does one come to the conclusion that George H.W. Bush was a decent person?
Because he died.
When people die we kinda forget about the bad stuff and just celebrate the good.
I have no problem with that btw

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

When compared to the GOP leadership today he's a decent man. The Willie Horton stuff and the Iran Contra Pardons are reason enough to question that though. I mean, he was by all accounts a nice person, but not particularly principled.

I think it's fine to remember the good over the bad when a family member or friend passes away, but we should hold political leaders to a higher standard, even in death. Whitewashing history isn't helpful, even if it makes us feel better.

I read the article. It sounds like you have confirmation bias. The story seems very shaky to me.
Same here. The reporter sounds like a bit of a loon:
He loved media attention and he picked church/state separation fights that he knew would get coverage in local newspapers. (The first time I met him, in 2006, I had just given a talk about visiting churches in Chicago, and during the Q&A session, Sherman asked me point-blank if I would sue the city because there was a streetlight overlooking a historical church near where I lived, a move he thought was illegal.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Bush without bringing up something this shaky.

I read the article. It sounds like you have confirmation bias. The story seems very shaky to me.

If other evidence comes up of this news reporter faking stories, then I'll agree this is not trustworthy. If any report comes up that Bush said atheists can be good citizens, then I'll agree this is not trustworthy.

Instead, we have an official response that Bush will have "due regard for the legal rights of atheists". I'm sure Bush also had 'due regard for the legal rights of convicted felons' (single quotes to indicate paraphrase). I'm underwhelmed.

Anyone who thinks it was in any way politically risky to slander atheists in 1987 has forgotten how the country felt about atheists back then.

If other evidence comes up of this news reporter faking stories, then I'll agree this is not trustworthy. If any report comes up that Bush said atheists can be good citizens, then I'll agree this is not trustworthy.

Instead, we have an official response that Bush will have "due regard for the legal rights of atheists". I'm sure Bush also had 'due regard for the legal rights of convicted felons' (single quotes to indicate paraphrase). I'm underwhelmed.

Anyone who thinks it was in any way politically risky to slander atheists in 1987 has forgotten how the country felt about atheists back then.
Back then? I'm pretty sure that's still the #1 thing that people say would cause them not to vote for someone. You're better off being Muslim or a convicted felon than being an Atheist if you want to get elected.

I had a subscription to American Atheists Magazine (and was a member of American Atheists) in the early 90s. I heard that quote many many times. I felt very strongly that I was very patriotic and was absolutely someone who should be considered a true citizen of the United States. My irritation with that quote was a significant motivating factor in my lifelong desire to serve in the U.S. military.

It was only recently I heard that it can't be confirmed with certainty.

I mean, like OB said, it wasn't like it was a risky thing to say. The Cold War wasn't over and atheism was often linked with communism, not as a way to make atheism look bad, but as a way to illustrate the evils of communism.

Back in 1987 I would have slandered atheists as well. Now I am one.

And now that I think about it, there have been recent allegations of his being handsy with females, which gets played off as his being a cute little old man who doesn't mean anything by it.

Basically, no one is a decent person because we've all said and done stupid and ill-informed things - and probably even meant some of them. I recall my previous statement.

Back in 1987 I would have slandered atheists as well. Now I am one.

And now that I think about it, there have been recent allegations of his being handsy with females, which gets played off as his being a cute little old man who doesn't mean anything by it.

Basically, no one is a decent person because we've all said and done stupid and ill-informed things - and probably even meant some of them. I recall my previous statement.

Handsy like Joe Biden handsy?

Worse - putting his arm around young ladies when they want to take a picture with him, and then caressing their butts and making a lame joke about it - all while his wife would be standing right there.

Worse - putting his arm around young ladies when they want to take a picture with him, and then caressing their butts and making a lame joke about it - all while his wife would be standing right there.
Sounds like what current president would do.

About 15 years ago when I lived in Texas I worked with someone who was a "Aggie Wrangler" when she went to Texas A&M in the 1990's. She said it was pretty much well known that if you posed for a picture with Bush prepare to get your butt grabbed.