What's new

George Hill coming to Utah

Yes, this is my conclusion as well. The Jazz must be valueing efficiency over total production.

Whatever the factors, the Jazz simply value/like Hill more. Very rarely do you get such an obvious example of this from the outside. But that's it, they chose him over Teague.

The thing about Teague is he played on a team packed with shooters, top to bottom. He can penetrate well, but that team's build made him look way better than he really is.

The year Paul George was out and David West missed like 20 games, George Hill dragged the Pacers kicking and screaming to within 1 game of the playoffs. He also had better numbers that year than Teague ever has.

Where, in any of what has been written and said about this three-way deal, has there been the slightest indication that Utah could have gotten Teague for the #12, straight up? Teague is FROM Indianapolis-- the man has a tattoo of the map of the city on his arm, for godsakes. Hill evidently wanted to come to Utah, which is a gift horse if I've ever seen one. Atlanta was evidently looking for picks to either use or leverage into another deal. It was a perfect alignment of needs, and if you take out one of those factors, there's no deal.

Um...because Atlanta wanted the 12 pick. Teague was traded. Put two and two together. And if Teague told Utah he didn't want to come? Well, take a chance. See if he likes it. Let him play here and then take a chance next summer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-three-teams-in-jeff-teague-george-hill-trade

The Utah Jazz are firmly in win-now mode.

Though rumors swirl around Gordon Hayward, their roster could be just about finalized for the 2016-17 campaign. Unless they choose to release one of their three non-guaranteed players (Shelvin Mack, Chris Johnson and Jeff Withey), they already have enough bodies under team control, and the depth chart looks terrifying:

rzNXIjB.png

The defensive acumen of that team is overwhelming, and the Jazz should be considered a serious postseason threat if they can stay healthy. Their win total masked their abilities this past go-round, as they finished No. 10 in simple rating system, which looks solely at margin of victory and strength of schedule.

Even treading water would have put them in the playoff picture. Now, they'll get to guard pick-and-roll sets with Hill and Derrick Favors/Rudy Gobert, which will make it difficult to run the NBA's pet play against them.

Had Utah held on to the No. 12 selection, it wouldn't have found as much immediate production. Even by hitting on a late-lottery pick, it would've required time for development, thereby forcing more responsibility onto weaker players. Additionally, the upcoming influx of draft picks mitigates the risk of trading one right now. The Jazz will be getting an additional first-rounder in both 2017 and 2018, courtesy of the Golden State Warriors and Oklahoma City Thunder, respectively.

With Hill, this team is ready to compete. And this offseason, that's all that matters in Salt Lake City.

Grade: A

LOL at how they so casually put the Jazz's five PGs into all those PG and SG slots. And where's my man Joe Ingles? In actuality at least one or probably two of the PGs will be gone. Plus, the Jazz still have money to spend... so I hope the Jazz make at least one major free agent signing to add to our depth (playoff starter quality player, similar to our "core").

Drop two PGs, add another quality player through free agency, then get at least one pickup in the draft through a second round pick (or package our second round picks to move into late first round), and call it good. Nine main players to get playing time are Hill, Exum, Hood, Hayward, Burks, Favors, Lyles, Gobert, and new FA. Players like Johnson, Ingles, Neto, Withey/Pleiss, and new rookie relegated to very end of bench. I'd be pretty happy with that scenario going into next season.

Jody Genessy ‏@DJJazzyJody 2h2 hours ago
George Hill told his agent that Utah was one of a few teams in the league he really wanted to play for. Why? Lindsey, Snyder, Hayward, team.

We don't want to build around Teague. We want to build around Exum. By picking up Hill we don't have to change the plan.

I get this. I totally get this. A good response. BUT, here is my retort. We know nothing about Exum...ok, we know something, or the Jazz do watching him in practice. Teague is insurance. If Exum blows up, GREAT. Let Teague walk next summer. Sign Hill next summer. Life is great.

BUT, if Exum busts out, or takes 3-5 years to get there, then Teague could have stepped in and been a high level PG at a position of need right away. You pay him next summer and keep winning 50 games. Then sign Hill next summer as well.

It's a big risk Lindsey is taking. His drafting skills have been great. BUT, his trades and letting people walk...have been subpar.

Lindsey has now officially staked his career on Exum. That's risky. The safer route was getting Teague.

The thing about Teague is he played on a team packed with shooters, top to bottom. He can penetrate well, but that team's build made him look way better than he really is.

The year Paul George was out and David West missed like 20 games, George Hill dragged the Pacers kicking and screaming to within 1 game of the playoffs. He also had better numbers that year than Teague ever has.

I'll go look at those numbers. Thanks.

I get this. I totally get this. A good response. BUT, here is my retort. We know nothing about Exum...ok, we know something, or the Jazz do watching him in practice. Teague is insurance. If Exum blows up, GREAT. Let Teague walk next summer. Sign Hill next summer. Life is great.

BUT, if Exum busts out, or takes 3-5 years to get there, then Teague could have stepped in and been a high level PG at a position of need right away. You pay him next summer and keep winning 50 games. Then sign Hill next summer as well.

It's a big risk Lindsey is taking. His drafting skills have been great. BUT, his trades and letting people walk...have been subpar.

Lindsey has now officially staked his career on Exum. That's risky. The safer route was getting Teague.

I don't see it that way at all. Hill's agent said he wants to re-sign in Utah if possible. So Lindsey has perfect insurance: if Dante blows up, then he's our guy. If he doesn't, then re-sign Hill next summer. Win-win.

Yeah, he did rise to the occasion that year with a 21 PER, compared to his usual 14ish.
The Jazz can give him a usage role somewhere inbetween, and hopefully it works.

Yeah, he did rise to the occasion that year with a 21 PER, compared to his usual 14ish.
The Jazz can give him a usage role somewhere inbetween, and hopefully it works.

PER rewards volume. With Paul George, Hill's USG% obviously went down down down, but that year without PG he proved he could take on a larger volume of work and still be incredibly efficient.

George Hill's agent:

"I'd hope a team doesn't give up a lottery pick to take a guy for one year. George likes stability; he's not the kind that wants to move around."

anyone with a half a bball brain knows teagueis way betterthen Hill. Now maybe the Jazz prefer Hill contract compared to Teague but Teague is by far the superior player and it isn't even close.

Teague is "way" better than Hill? Please *face palm.* shaking my dreads. Had you said better, I think you can argue that but way better is not an intelligent comment. Your better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app