What's new

Getting aggressive in the Draft this year

Chris

So, I've been kicking around ideas in my head regarding this year's Draft and I think I have something that might work and might help us win now. Let's assume the Draft Lottery shapes up from picks 10-14 the way it's projected to. Consider:

With the 12th pick, the Jazz select Sam Dekker.

Utah trades next year's first round pick and Trey Burke to Oklahoma City or Phoenix for their pick this year (13 or 14). The Jazz select Frank Kaminsky. If next year's second round Jazz pick is necessary to sweeten the deal, pull the trigger.

In the second round of this draft, the Jazz select a backup point guard.

Here's why:

We all know the Jazz are on the cusp of breaking out. We need some key pieces to make that happen. It's possible that Trey will get better in important spots and that he could be good, but probably not great. I think teams around the League know that too. So he has some value. I don't necessarily want to lose him because I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet, but this trade makes us better now.

As far as Dekker and Kaminsky go, I was trying to figure out which of those guys we should choose, and I really came to the conclusion that I want both. They both fill needs that the Jazz have.

Dekker gives us a solid, energetic two-way player to back up Hayward and take some pressure off him at the end of the season, when his legs seemed to give out this season. Kaminsky gives Gobert a good backup, with length, who is one of the best shooters in the draft. Good post moves and will help us stretch the floor.

That they have played well together for three years cannot and should not be discounted. That, I believe, adds even more value. The Jazz need plug-and-play additions to the team. Hard to find that, especially in the Draft. While both players are not finished products, I think adding the combination of players is of more value than the sum of its parts.

And obviously, adding a good facilitating, defensive backup point guard in the second round would address the loss of Burke at the point guard spot. I believe in Bryce Cotton as Dante's backup. I've seen a lot of him at Providence College and he's legit.

I kind of see this set of moves as drafting next year's first round player this year and helping to make us a much more competitive and well-rounded team this season. And, none of this is conditional upon Tomic (ain't happenin'), Pleiss, or Neto.

Last edited:
For a team trying to the make the playoffs that puts a lot of weigh on Dante's shoulders. Have Kaminsky as as stretch 5 and Dekker as a stretch 4 doesn't make much sense to me. We have a team identity based on defense. We are trying to expand our offensive options a little. Of the two I like Dekker better just because I think he has a better chance to be an average defender. Though there are several very talented wings that might be there at 12 too.

Haven't been following the draft lately but just watched Dekker's draft combine workout. Man, he has a beautiful shot. He doesn't look too dynamic but he looks like he has good balance, dribbling, and nice moves with the ball... not mistake-prone, all around solid.

But should we go for more of a risk/reward type of player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGok5rR_5I#t=145

Nice clip. I really like him. Personally, I thought he tried to 'show' too much in the Championship game, and he kind of forced things. Thus, he may have ironically hurt his draft stock a little just when the nation's eyes were on him the most.

I also like what Kaminsky brings to the table, as I mentioned. They both have room to grow and I think they'll fit very well with the Jazz. Though we would get some crap for becoming an even whiter team than we already are.

Watched him a lot since im a Big10 guy. Id stay away from him. To me he has the skills but he disappears from the game way to much. To soft mentally for the nba. Frank Kamisky will be the best pro out of the Wisky people

Haven't been following the draft lately but just watched Dekker's draft combine workout. Man, he has a beautiful shot. He doesn't look too dynamic but he looks like he has good balance, dribbling, and nice moves with the ball... not mistake-prone, all around solid.

Why will they fit well with the jazz? Because they are white??? Actually explain how in the **** is Deker a good fit for Jazz when you have enough wing players as is??????????????????

Nice clip. I really like him. Personally, I thought he tried to 'show' too much in the Championship game, and he kind of forced things. Thus, he may have ironically hurt his draft stock a little just when the nation's eyes were on him the most.

I also like what Kaminsky brings to the table, as I mentioned. They both have room to grow and I think they'll fit very well with the Jazz. Though we would get some crap for becoming an even whiter team than we already are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already explained why they would be a good fit. See first post. And the wing we need is the wing we don't have: a 3/4.

Why will they fit well with the jazz? Because they are white??? Actually explain how in the **** is Deker a good fit for Jazz when you have enough wing players as is??????????????????

That's funny... I was always taught that Racism is judging someone to be inferior based on their skin color. Just because someone is WHITE doesn't make them any more or any less a candidate to play on the Jazz. However it has somehow become acceptable to say that players are more or less eligible to play on the team based on their skin color on this board!

Decker is a stretch 4 candidate in the NBA (a spot that DL has spoken about as a need multiple times). Kaminsky is a stretch 4/5 player as well. Skin gets cancer. Kaminskin shoots threes.

It don't matter if your "hmmm" or "hmmm" - Michael Jackson

Go Jazz. SUPPORT!

Last edited by a moderator:

He has a tendency to just fling the ball and he doesn't have good handles outside of straight line drives.

We need to remember that we shouldn't give up our potential bench depth to just move up. I noticed a lot of the playoffs teams get in trouble when going to their bench.

We need to remember that we shouldn't give up our potential bench depth to just move up. I noticed a lot of the playoffs teams get in trouble when going to their bench.

Depends on how much Utah believes in the player they're trying to move up for. After this year, Utah isn't likely to be picking this high for years, so if they have a chance to move up for someone with star potential, this would be the time to do it.

Depends on how much Utah believes in the player they're trying to move up for. After this year, Utah isn't likely to be picking this high for years, so if they have a chance to move up for someone with star potential, this would be the time to do it.

but would that be worth it if we traded Burke, Burks, and Hood? Then we would have no bench. One of the reasons we didn't win a title 15 years ago is because we didn't have enough support. I just don't know if it would be worth it to move up.

If there was a can't miss guy in this year's draft I would move anyone not named Hayward, Favors, Gobert, or Hood to get him. And I would move Hayward or Hood if that can't miss prospect was in their position and it would create a logjam, and I would move Favors if it were a Shaq/LeBron level talent.

That said, from what I have read there isn't a prospect like that and team chemistry makes as big a difference as talent to win the whole thing (witness Malone's Lakers who should have steam-rolled everyone, but their chemistry was **** thanks to Kobe "I have to be the man" Bryant). I would not want to break up those 4 if I could help it. And frankly, the way we played at the end together as a team I could take this list further into the roster to include Burks (jury still out how he will fit in with the current group chemistry-wise), Booker, and Jingles, who all are more than serviceable and add to the locker-room and bench camaraderie.

I would prefer to try to find someone in free agency or through a trade that can help us now, or stack out chips waiting for the trade deadline with a few very specific targets. Imagine if we are able to go 24-17 up to the deadline (or thereabouts) and then pick up an impact player who can shore up a few holes for us. Then we go 31-10 the rest of the way (or 30-12, whatever) and storm the NBA putting ourselves in the thick of it. We could end at 55-27 and be playing the best ball of the season for us. Would not be a stretch to get out of the west at that record with some momentum.

I would maybe package Exum & our pick for D'Angelo-- but that's about it. Even with that, I would be incredibly hesitant, and I'd need to be sure that D'Angelo would project as a good defender in this league. Definitely no one in this draft I want that badly. Justise will probably be pretty awesome though. Loved watching him play in college.

Well, some of these players have to be there at 12. I'm just saying that if both are there, and this opportunity were to present itself, I'd say go for it.