What's new

Getting to know the real Karl Malone

jackpotter

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/halloffame10/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=100812-malone
The Karl Malone I saw up close played in fewer games and scored fewer points than in any other of his 19 seasons, yet that was the time I came to respect him the most.

I didn't really know Malone until he left the Utah Jazz and came to the Los Angeles Lakers for that ill-fated run in 2003-04. In my mind, he brought with him the baggage of being the guy who led my favorite player back into retirement a second time when he expressed fears of playing with the HIV-positive Magic Johnson. And Malone always seemed to criticize the younger players, the ones who were closer to my age than Malone's.

There's a danger in following sound bites and second-hand reports and thinking that gives you any indication of what a person is really about. I learned that from Malone. I wouldn't call it the hard way, I'd call it the easy way, since he simplified the task of covering that star-studded and star-crossed team as best he could.

It was some experiment, bringing in Malone and Gary Payton in an attempt to return the Lakers to the top of the NBA after the Spurs ended their run of three consecutive championships in 2003. That meant two of the top eight active career scorers at the time were joining the already strained duo of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. And thrown into the mix were a pending sexual assault charge against Bryant, unresolved contract extension negotiations for O'Neal and Coach Phil Jackson, and the possibility of Bryant's departure at the end of the season via an escape clause.

And somehow, in the midst of Payton's nonstop high-decibel commentary and O'Neal's mood swings and Bryant's isolation, Malone provided a measured sense of peace and stability. Following the last game of the season, Rick Fox offered the highest praise possible for a member of that team when he said, "Karl is, in no way, as dysfunctional as the rest of us."

Malone constantly made himself available for the media, through the good days and the bad days.

Even though he'd just arrived and didn't know the full backstory on the Kobe-Shaq feud that flared up again at the start of the season, he did his best to explain it. Malone never made excuses, never asked to be given an exception or free pass.

Malone could speak with authority because he'd done just about everything possible in the league. He'd never missed more than two games in a season and went the full 82 10 times. He had scored more points than anyone other than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He was named the league's most valuable player twice. The only thing missing from his resume was a championship, which was the reason he was in Los Angeles. He was willing to make the financial sacrifice, as his salary dropped from $19.3 million to the $1.5 million veteran exception, and even that represented a sacrifice within the sacrifice, as he volunteered to take the smaller amount so Payton could have the $4.9 million midlevel exception. So he had credibility and authority, serving as both a respected voice within the locker room and a spokesman for the team. It made him far more valuable than the 14.5 points he averaged, the only time other than his rookie season he scored less than 20 points per game.

Even his work ethic had temporary effects on O'Neal. In a preseason game, O'Neal wanted to sit out, but suited up when he saw Malone was going to play despite a nagging injury. He forced O'Neal to get more aggressive on the boards, because if O'Neal wasn't quick to the ball then Malone would surely snatch it. The 11.5 rebounds O'Neal averaged were the most among his final three season in L.A. and represented the last time he averaged more than 11 rebounds per game.

Malone quickly gained my respect, and I soon gained his trust. One day in March he was talking to the media about his availability for the USA National team that summer when he dropped a hint that he might not even want to play basketball anymore after the season. The next time I got a chance to speak to him alone I asked if that meant he was considering retirement, and he said he was giving it serious thought. He still hadn't recovered from the sudden death of his mother at age 64 in the offseason, and the thought of achieving milestones such as the all-time scoring record didn't appeal to him if she couldn't be there to watch.

The next time he faced a group of reporters I was curious to see if he would stick with those sentiments or try to distance himself from it and say he wasn't really feeling that way. Athletes do it all the time when they get a bigger reaction than they intended from their initial, candid comments to an individual reporter. But Malone maintained his position and didn't claim he was misquoted. I thanked him for not selling me out. He quietly acknowledged it, then pondered it for a little while as I moved to the other side of the Lakers' locker room. My moment of doubt kept nagging at him.

"Did you really think I would sell you out?" he asked.

Now I felt bad, because he'd taken my appreciation as an insult. I had a moment of doubt because I'd seen so many others change course when that was the most convenient route. I hadn't viewed him as his own individual case.

Malone was far from the usual NBA player. He was more interested in casting a fishing rod than hitting the club, and if he ever did buy an iPod (I sincerely doubt it), it wouldn't be filled with hip-hop. He superstitiously wore the same pair of game socks throughout the season, and when they started to fray he sewed them himself.

Unfortunately for Malone, it wasn't so easy to mend his body, the one that had held up in machine-like fashion for 18 seasons. He damaged a knee ligament when Phoenix's Scott Williams landed on him during a fluke play, and Malone missed half of the season. Then he injured the same ligament during the playoffs and wound up watching the end of the Lakers' shocking NBA Finals loss to the Detroit Pistons in street clothes.

He followed through on his plan to retire that summer, then any notion of rejoining the Lakers the next season was doused when Bryant angrily accused Malone of hitting on his wife at a Lakers game in December. Malone went back to Salt Lake City to announce his retirement, and until he was announced as a member of the newest Hall of Fame class this year about the only time we've heard from him was when he used his logging company to help clear debris from the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

That sounded like something the guy I got to know in Los Angeles would do.

Adande didn't really know Karl Malone until he went to the Lakers....ESPN fire this tool now.

I thought the "Real" Karl Malone was a serial womanizer who has illegitimate children who he refuses to talk to or take care of...

How do you know it was Malone refusing?

"In 1998, the tabloid newspaper The Globe reported that Malone had been a defendant in paternity lawsuits, filed shortly after Malone began his professional basketball career in the late 1980s, which alleged that he was the father of three children by two women from his hometown of Summerfield, Louisiana: Demetrius Bell and twins Daryl and Cheryl Ford. Malone had been 17 when the Ford twins were born to Bonita Ford, who was approximately the same age. However, Malone was 20 years old when Gloria Bell, at age 13, conceived Demetrius.[4] The Salt Lake Tribune conducted a follow-up investigation and reported that in the aftermath of the Globe story, Malone had met with the Ford twins for the first time since visiting them in the hospital after they were born. Malone did not meet with Bell at that time, and Malone's attorney insisted that Malone had settled the lawsuits prior to any conclusive establishment of paternity, and thus still did not know whether he was truly the father of any of the children.

The Tribune confirmed that the judge in the Bell lawsuit ruled Malone to be the father, not based on presented evidence, but rather because Malone did not respond to the suit. However, the paper also examined court documents detailing the evidence that was to have been presented had Malone responded and a trial ensued. One of the items listed was a laboratory blood test which concluded with over 99 percent certainty that Bell's father was either Malone or a brother of Malone. The paper also reported that applying that same blood sample to the Ford twins resulted in a similarly high probability of paternity by Malone.[5][6] According to the Tribune, Malone challenged the court's ruling with regard to Bell, claiming that the judgment holding him responsible for $125 per week in child support, plus past and future medical expenses, was excessive. Before Malone's appeal was adjudicated, the lawsuit was settled on confidential terms. In the case regarding the Ford twins, Malone was ruled to be their father when he violated a court order by refusing to reveal his assets or submit to a DNA test. Thereafter, another out-of-court settlement was reached.[5]

By the fall of 1998, Malone had accepted his paternity of the Ford twins, and Kay Malone spoke publicly of the twins being members of the Malone family.[7] Since that time, Karl Malone has maintained a relationship with the twins, each of whom later played college basketball at his alma mater of Louisiana Tech University. Cheryl Ford went on to a professional basketball career with the Detroit Shock of the Women's National Basketball Association.

To date, Malone has made no public comment with regard to Bell, who is now an offensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. In 2008, The Buffalo News reported that Bell's first and only meeting with Malone came shortly after Bell graduated from high school. According to Bell, Malone told him at that time that it was "too late" for them to have a father-son relationship."

So this is all Malone should obviously be remembered for, as opposed to somebody who made a mistake at a young age that turned into great basketball player one of if not the greatest PF's of all time who was very charitable with his time (the Katrina work as the most recent example).
That would be ludicrous

For Christ sake he's being inducted to the HoF this weekend, I understand there is much hate for him and his detractors love bringing it up anytime anybody thinks of thinking about talking about Malone. We all know we heard it the first 20million times it was brought up in the other attempt to honor Malone threads, how about a little common decency and either not post or if you have to at the very least acknowledge his basketball accolades as that is what he is being honored for.

For Christ sake he's being inducted to the HoF this weekend, I understand there is much hate for him and his detractors love bringing it up anytime anybody thinks of thinking about talking about Malone. We all know we heard it the first 20million times it was brought up in the other attempt to honor Malone threads, how about a little common decency and either not post or if you have to at the very least acknowledge his basketball accolades as that is what he is being honored for.

You're right. He was the second best power forward of all time. I'm glad he was a Jazz man.

He writes for the Lakers.
I'm sure he knew that but serious question is there really a difference? Who ever was covering Lebron in Cleveland will be replaced by somebody in MIA and ESPN's coverage of the NBA stays the same. (LA, BOS, MIA and everybody else gets the leftovers)

Put 90-98 Malone on 99-07 spurs and replace duncan, there would be no Laker 3peat.

Seriously? Malone couldn't do it with the greatest PG the NBA will likely EVER see, and you think he could do it with that watered down Spurs team? Foolishness.

"In 1998, the tabloid newspaper The Globe ...

So, Malone contested paternity, and later accepted it for the Ford twins. Also, he settled with Bell's family on some level of support, apparently larger than the "zero" implied by LiemD.

Did Malone refuse to exercise visitation rights? Were they even offered? Is there a basis for saying Malone ignored the kids through his preference?

Malone was so much better than Duncan, I'm sorry. Duncan isnt a PF anyway, but whatever.

On a side, note..I just went to ESPN.com and WTF????!! Malone on the front page wearing a Laker's Jersey!!!!!! That is so ****ing ****ed up, I mean, holy ****ing ****.!!!

Seriously? Malone couldn't do it with the greatest PG the NBA will likely EVER see, and you think he could do it with that watered down Spurs team? Foolishness.

That watered down spurs team won 50+ games each season from 00`-07`

Also Malone didnt play with Magic Johnson.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scorpjazz again.

What a shame. I think there is a reason your rep is red, and it's not because of your herpes.

Love how J.A Adande chooses to put a pic of Karl Malone as a laker as the article picture.

What a moron.

I consider myself as die-hard a Jazz fan there is, and my hatred of Kobe and the Lakers probably borders along "scary" and "potentially criminal," but I'm not ashamed to admit I rooted for the Lakers during the 2004 playoffs, (solely because of Malone) but still, that was the only time I ever wanted the Lakers to win.