What's new

Ghosts of Warriors Past -- Wing Kong vs. Chang Sing (GSW @ UTA) 4/10/18 7:00 pm MST

Game Girl: Martha Hughes Cannon.

They called her “Mattie.” Born in 1857, she became the fourth wife of prominent Mormon stake president and patriarch Angus Cannon. But she was way more than a polygamous wife. She was a highly trained physician, a progressive reformer of public health initiatives, and a passionate suffragist. (That means she wanted women to be eligible to vote.) Many Mormon women at the time sought the vote in the face of some local and national criticism—even from other feminists at the time, who worried that polygamous wives would simply do the bidding of their husbands, effective doubling, tripling, quadrupling the Mormon male vote. Mattie wasn't some shrinking violet wife, though.

When Utah became a state in 1896 she decided to run for state senator as a Democrat—against her own Republican husband, Angus. She won the election and became the first female state senator in the United States. Utah's Governor Gary Herbert just signed a bill to send a statue of Mattie Cannon to the US Capitol, representing Utah once again.

Martha_M_Hughes_Cannon.jpg

martha.jpg

marthacannon.jpg
That's hot, and I really mean that.

I'm playing hookie tonight. Rare opportunity to watch a Jazz game semi-live.

I’m not a fan of arguing that you should get an award by making your opponent ineligible.

So is he saying that Simmons is better but just shouldn’t be able to win? That’s like the worst argument.

I think the score in the op might be wrong. iirc we won by like 30 in the last game against the warriors.

This might be my favorite thread yet. I loved big trouble in little China. That final gif is perfect.

Jazz are focused in a first quarter. Kinda nice to see.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk