What's new

Given the opportunity, would you buy shares in a publicly owned franchise

Community owned Jazz?

• Total voters

Get Down

That is to say, wrest the Jazz away from the Miller family, hopefully eliminating the always looming threat of relocation, and like the Green Bay Packers, run the franchise as a nonprofit, public corporation, holding rare stock sales whenever additional money is needed to support the team.

This isn't the thread to discuss the technicalities of such an arrangement, as I'm sure that, by now, it's already been outlawed by the NBA, as it is in the NFL (Green Bay was grandfathered in).

Still, it's fun to think about, and I think a community owned team fits the character of the state and of Jazz fans, in general. If such an arrangement mirrored Green Bay's, though, then shareholders would never see a "real" return on their investment, in terms of their holding appreciating in value. The main benefit would be to protect the team from relocation. There is a corollary benefit of being able to vote in members of Jazz management who would then decide key Jazz positions (GM, coach, etc). We could also scrape EnergySolutions name off of everything.

What, if anything, would make this arrangement worth it to you?

back in the 80's we owned 300 shared in the Boston Celtics - it was a limited partnership of some sort that traded like shares. paid a nice dividend too - - until there was some sort of buyout and it went private

funny thing, though, I wasn't a big Celtics fan, though I felt like I should be...