What's new

Gobert left off NBA all defensive team.....Again

I'm not surprised given the games we missed and how few games we won.I think he should have made it though.
Did his advanced stats decline at all from last year to this one?

I know this is a defense only award, but when a guy isn't closing out games, there's going to be bias. Gobert needs to find a way to stay in the games at the end.

and of the top 8 teams ranked in Defensive EFF we were the only team without someone on either the 1st or 2nd. The other 7 teams were playoff teams though

Good, reminds him that nothing is handed to him. If he wants those honors he has to take them. Get to work.

No sour grapes, just a few thoughts.

They should follow the allstar game precedent where they vote for 2 guards and 3 bigs. For the AS game this tends to favor PFs over Centers since it tends to be an offensively-driven selection, especially the fan vote.

Selecting the all-defense on the same basis would also make sense.

Paul George and Milsap are excellent defenders, but no way do they have as much of an impact on the game defensively as Gobert.

Whitesides defense is very good but overrated by his blocks numbers. DRPM is 18th among Centers, indicating that his impact on games is not as impressive.

Rudy has been trained to be smart defensively and stay on his feet to alter shots, versus always going for the dramatic block. This hurts his block stats but helps his team by not getting beat on pump fakes.

I blame the Jazz organization. UJ does a TERRIBLE job of marketing its players on national level. Jazz need to get their players out there like an election or Oscar campaign and need a strong PR person. Smaller market players like Westbrook, Durant, Lillard, etc. get national attention that no Jazz player does or ever has. Karl Malone was Top 5 player in NBA and he had 2 national ads during his whole career. I think Stockton had one during his playing days. Using Durant as an example, he does not need to go to a big market because OKC and Nike do a great job of making him a huge fish in a small pond. Utah should invest serious money in marketing its players nationally. That will help to attract free agents, improve the team, gain greater exposure for the organization, win awards like Defensive Team honors, and increase revenue.

I blame the Jazz organization. UJ does a TERRIBLE job of marketing its players on national level. Jazz need to get their players out there like an election or Oscar campaign and need a strong PR person. Smaller market players like Westbrook, Durant, Lillard, etc. get national attention that no Jazz player does or ever has. Karl Malone was Top 5 player in NBA and he had 2 national ads during his whole career. I think Stockton had one during his playing days. Using Durant as an example, he does not need to go to a big market because OKC and Nike do a great job of making him a huge fish in a small pond. Utah should invest serious money in marketing its players nationally. That will help to attract free agents, improve the team, gain greater exposure for the organization, win awards like Defensive Team honors, and increase revenue.
Do you have any evidence that OKC has done this for Durrant's career?

Easy solution:

MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Rudy had a shot to improve off last year. He didn't and we missed the playoffs. Pretty cut and dry.

Just win. That's all. Don't lose to a Clippers team that leaves its starters behind.

Just win. Everything else will take care of itself.

Wow.

Pretty bad.

Rudy has to have one solid season during which he plays All-NBA defense consistently throughout. Last year that didn't happen and the year before he only played half the season.

Gobert with DPOY performance carried his team to lottery, lets him every award including MVP because he plays for the jazz !!

Is everyone else tired of the "he was injured" excuse? These players need to decide to do better and until that happens, we will be a mediocre team.