What's new

Gobert to Minnesota

I have never understood this new NBA obsession with picks. People are celebrating because we traded one of the best defenders of all time(in his prime, too) and a 3-time DPOY for 5 draft picks which have a remote possibility of landing us a 3-time DPOY we had to begin with.

Many celtics fans said the same thing in 2013. They traded 2 hall of famers for some picks. Worked out well for the celtics though.

Pairing KD with Rudy was a strong win-now thought. But getting KD now would be a monumental waste of everything we have been doing. We need to either move Mitchell for more assets and let the rebuild begin, or truly try to build around Mitchell, but to get KD for, what, 3 or 4 partial years with his injury history? And by giving up all the assets we would need to build around him as well. Dumb to go after KD now unless you can somehow do so and hold onto Mitchell as well.
I think he was saying the jazz get KD and then trade him? Not sure though. He used the phrase "control the KD market" after aquiring him from what I could gather.

- We have to be going in to full tank mode, right? How else does this make sense. Assuming that's the case, very well done Danny.
- I'm confused on taking this deal if we aren't going in to full tank mode. There were likely much better win now moves available, plus we basically ignored all of the good options in free agency.
- I wonder what Alex Jensen could do with Kessler, assuming he stays on with the new coaching staff.

- I would have loved to see us win a championship with Gobert. We likely don't see a player with a better overall impact than him in a long time.
We could also simply take a step back next season and suck, then have 3 picks in 2023 in a loaded draft and 40 million in cap space to play with and quicky go back to win now and be a contender again.
Lots of possibilities.

I am guessing the Gobert worshippers might point out the superstar haul he just brought in trade, contrary to the morons who thought he had little trade value or was even negative value due to his contract.
Danny Ainge definitely cleaned up the mess

What did we get for Rudy? A number of picks that have about a 50% chance of being rotational players along with a bunch of other rotational guys? I was excited to get picks but a bunch of mid range 1sts does nothing for me, nor do the players we picked up. Not sure what the euphoria is in giving up a legit all star and potential HOF guy for a whole bunch of unknowns.
Because the "known" was a second or first round playoff exit. Not all that exciting.

How many guys in the range we will likely get for Royce have the chance of being a starter? Not many. Not sure what the rah rah is. I have no problem moving Royce but acting like we got a great return is lost on me.
Spoiler alert: Royce isn't a starter either.

One nice thing about the picks..... I will certainly forget about them right up until draft time year after year and get all excited again. This gift gonna keep giving for a long long time.

Ayton is younger and fits Don's timeline
Also just different that rudy. Rudy defensively is about the best you will ever see and very efficient offensively but limited. Ayton much less limited offensively and not as good defensively

Hope it does turn into something good because right now we got nothing back other than rotation guys and mid 1st round picks that rarely generate anyhting.
Yep, like donovan and rudy lol.

I think it's at least somewhat likely that the team will suck but Ayton will be more valuable individually than what we have to give up to get him. I don't mind just trying to rehab his value if the price is right.
Really good post.

Of course they could but the odds are against it - this is a wing and a prayer. We traded an all star and HOF type player and got very little known talent in exchange. And folks are excited about it? Again, I hope this means we are blowing it all up. If this is to build around Donny it is very puzzling.
Maybe if almost all the folks are excited about it and all the national media folks who aren't even jazz fans are saying that the jazz won this trade big time then maybe you might be the one who is wrong?

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking. 2023 should be a bad pick, but you never know about later than that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
And even bad picks are sometimes good picks (see gobert, jimmy butler and probably 100 other examples)