What's new

Good HoopsHype Piece on Gobert

It feels like this team is transitioning to Rudy's team. Last year it was Gordon's, then it became Gordon and Rudy, now it feels more Rudy's than Gordon's. I wonder if that makes it easier for Gordon to stay, because he knows he has a partner to work with.

easily the best Rudy article I've seen yet. I know Rudy tends to have a really good rapport and back-and-forth with this specific writer, so perhaps there's more introspective pieces to come.

Loved the bit he mentioned about reading the Billups Pistons article-- we all know that the only way we go all the way is if we replicate the model and success of that team.

Love the attitude. Love that he thinks we can win championships.

If he sticks around and has a great career they'll build him a statue outside the Delta Center, or whatever it's called now. No franchise in the league values loyalty like the Jazz do.

Freaking love the guy. He believes that he will bring a championship to Utah. That kind of mentality is exactly what is needed for the Jazz. Re-sign Hayward and then build around those two for the future.

I like comparisons of this Utah team to the 2004 Pistons squad, easily my favorite non-Jazz team ever. Billups is more seasoned than Hill, Hamilton is more grizzly than Hood but perhaps less than Ingles, and Tayshaun is more timid than Rudy. But other than those differences, I think the comparisons ring true.

If he sticks around and has a great career they'll build him a statue outside the Delta Center, or whatever it's called now. No franchise in the league values loyalty like the Jazz do.

I just mentioned this to my wife yesterday. That I can see a statue of Gobert blocking a shot next toe the Stockton and Malone statues.

rudy to hayward

“I’m just going to ask him, ‘Do you want to win a championship?’”

****. i love this guy. I didn't grow up watching stockon and malone. He will be my favorite jazz player of all time.

rudy to hayward

“I’m just going to ask him, ‘Do you want to win a championship?’”

****. i love this guy. I didn't grow up watching stockon and malone. He will be my favorite jazz player of all time.

This deserves to be bumped for those who didn't take the time to read it. And here's the complete quote from the article:

---

For example, Gobert mentioned that he will try to persuade Hayward to re-sign with the Jazz when he hits unrestricted free agency this summer. When I asked him what he’ll tell the small forward when that time comes, Gobert doesn’t hesitate.

“I’m just going to ask him, ‘Do you want to win a championship?’” Gobert said. “I feel like with the way we’ve improved the last few years, since Quin [Snyder] got here, I don’t think it’d be a great decision to leave now. At the same time, I know sometimes there are personal decisions and I can’t really control any of that. But I know he likes to win. I know he likes it here in Utah, and his wife and kids like it here too. If he doesn’t want to live here anymore or there’s another city he wants to live in or he feels like he has a better chance to win a championship somewhere else, it’s his decision. But I’m going to remind him that I really want to win a championship and I think we can do it. If he stays, I think we’ll have chances [to win titles]. But it’s still going to be his decision at the end of the day.”

When asked if he can see himself remaining with Utah for his entire career, Gobert says yes and once again brings up the prospect of bringing the Larry O’Brien trophy to Utah.

“Yeah, why not?” Gobert said of staying in Utah long-term. “I obviously love living [in Utah] and I want to win, like I said. So if the goal is to win a championship very soon, there’s no reason to leave. I love my coach, I love the fans, I love the organization. There’s no reason for me to think about leaving.”

“The fans have been great to me and they’re always behind me. I always see them on social media and in the city, I run into them and they are very nice to me. They’ve kind of adopted me here. It’s great. It makes me want to keep getting better and win for this city.”

That Detroit team had some real nasty with the two Wallace's and Chauncey, even Rip a little bit. Tayshaun was a rookie I believe and much like Rondo on the Celts, there was pressure on him because he started but yet not much because the vets shouldered it which allowed him to thrive.

Outside of Rudy, we don't have nasty. If Favors gets healthy, as quiet as he is, he could be a little bit. But we really don't have it.

Like others have stated, it's a great read. It's well written and the right questions are asked. Here's some meat to chew on:

It’s safe to say that Gobert will finish higher than seventh in Defensive Player of the Year voting this time around. The case for him is pretty simple. He’s the focal point of the Jazz’s defense, which allows just 96.8 points per game. That’s easily the best in the NBA; the runner-up is the San Antonio Spurs allowing 98.1 points a night. With Gobert on the floor, Utah’s defensive rating is 100.4 (which would rank first in the NBA). When Gobert is on the bench, the team’s defensive rating falls to 107.8 (which would rank 21st in the NBA).

Gobert leads the NBA in blocks per game with 2.7 per night. He easily ranks first in total blocks with 213 (no other player has more than 168) and block percentage among starters (6.4 percent, which is 0.5 percent higher than the runner-up). But while Gobert is an excellent shot-blocker, opposing players are quick to point out that what makes him such a nightmare is the fact that his 7-foot-2 frame and 7-foot-8.5 wingspan allow him to alter every shot within his general vicinity and get in players’ heads whenever he’s on the floor. It’s no coincidence that players shoot just 56.0 percent against him in the restricted area (which ranks first among starting centers), or that opponents’ field goal percentage drop an astonishing 13.3 percent when he’s the primary defender six feet from the rim or closer (also first among centers).

Rudy might be the only player that could eventually top John Stockton as my favorite Jazz player of all time.

I think one thing Rudy probably loves about playing here is the fact that the city's underrated, and the team is small-market.

Just like he feeds off of getting drafted 27th, he probably feeds off of telling people to "take Fn note", as he alwaus says on twitter.

This team is a good match for him. We are so fortunate to have him. Best 2 million dollars that the Jazz will ever, ever spend. Thank you Denver!

I just mentioned this to my wife yesterday. That I can see a statue of Gobert blocking a shot next toe the Stockton and Malone statues.
The notion that the jazz will put up anymore statues is asinine, complete asinine. At least for now. Stockton and Malone don't just have statues because they were really good. They solidified Utah as a basketball state. The numbers those two put up for so long a time will probably ever be matched.
Rudy might be the only player that could eventually top John Stockton as my favorite Jazz player of all time.

I love Gobert as much as the next person, I fact he's my favorite player on the team, but I just can't ever see him pass John Stockton as my favorite. Watching Stockton was like watching poetry in motion. Never once did he cause any problems in the locker room or on the court. He never played for the money, only the love of the game. I still remember the shot like it was yesterday. The many moments he provided will be hard as **** if not impossible for Rudy to emulate.

Though the basketball world views Magic as the best pg of all time. IMO, and my opinion is right on the money, put Magic at 6-1-6-2. Stockton absolutely destroys magic, and magic had one of the more talented rosters at his disposal. Stockton is the greatest pure complete pg.

Stocktons stats are beyond ungodly and easily the most under appreciated athletes in sports not just basketball.