What's new

Goodbye Boozer, Millsap the right answer?

d@!!0n0rcutt

We all know its really unlikely Boozer resigns here, but the real question then that leaves us with...is Paul Millsap the right answer?

From all that I have heard and seen of Paul Millsap, he is a terrific player and person on and off the court. Millsap gives you everything that a coach and fan would want out of a player except one thing and there is nothing he can do about it. Paul Millsap is only 6'6" and barely 250 lbs. Our starting power forward would be as tall as Kobe Bryant and only 3 inches taller then our starting point guard. Doesn't that scare you from a point of view where your team's system focuses around his position.

Besides Paul's mircale run a season ago when he started for Boozer for 40 to 50 games Millsap was a good filler for that time, but he was tired and you could see it. Paul Millsap can not start and produce at a high level for 82+ games even if we do make the playoffs. He is everyones hero I know but Millsap plays against every teams second unit, and so he excels against bench players. Now he has to go up every night against the likes of Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan, Amare Stoudamire, Chris Bosh, and etc.

So do we try harder to resign Boozer or go after someone via trade? Because we can't just wait to have someone through the draft learn how to be a contributer everynight, especially with no experience, with the time ticking on Deron and we don't show progress these next two season to show Deron we are willing to put pieces around him to make a real run at a championship, not just be a good team that wins 48 to 54 games and early exit every year, but a great team.

It's not like if we lose Boozer we are screwed. We could always go after David Lee. And let's not forget: WE OWN BOOZER'S BIRD RIGHTS. That means we can offer him more money than ANY team on the market. Boozer would have to want to sign for LESS money than he could get in Utah. Of course, it is an unknown if the Jazz would offer him that much. The ideal situation would be a sign-and-trade that would get Boozer the money he wants and the Jazz players back in return.

Last edited:
I knew we owned his bird rights but we would have to take on at least close to the same amount of contracts back and that would put us over the luxury tax, so if we are going to give Boozer that kind of money we need to keep him. I don't see the Jazz brass willing to dish out that money for Boozer. Unless David Lee is willing to sign the MLE we can't sign him because we won't have any cap room to sign him to what kind of contract he wants because we don't have the cap room, so Boozer is the only top free agent we can sign because we are his former team, and we can only go over the luxury tax for Boozer no one else.

Im perfectly fine with Millsap as the starting PF, aslong as we get some length in the draft.

I knew we owned his bird rights but we would have to take on at least close to the same amount of contracts back and that would put us over the luxury tax, so if we are going to give Boozer that kind of money we need to keep him. I don't see the Jazz brass willing to dish out that money for Boozer. Unless David Lee is willing to sign the MLE we can't sign him because we won't have any cap room to sign him to what kind of contract he wants because we don't have the cap room, so Boozer is the only top free agent we can sign because we are his former team, and we can only go over the luxury tax for Boozer no one else.

That is not true, any potential sign and trade teams will have an abundance of cap space. Salaries dont have to match.

So we either trade Millsap along with part or all of Matt Harpring's TE (trade exception) which totals out to 6 mil, or Ronnie Brewer's TE which is 2.7 mil, or Eric Maynor's TE 1.3 mil. We can not trade two TE's together, but you can trade a player and either part or all of the TE to total out what the other player contract is. The only way we can get David Lee is take one of our players we have under contract and combine that with most likely Matt's TE to get Lee to sign and trade out of New York.

Millsap is not going to want to be a back up here next season, so we either suck for season with him at the 4 or trade him, because he will request a trade if he has to be a bench player again.

Last edited:
Ok David Lee is an unrestricted free agent! The Utah Jazz don't have cap space with or without Boozer. So we can't resign anyone except our own free agents that were on this team at the end of the season, because we are already at the cap. So the only way we get David Lee and the Knicks have to sign and trade, and then we do the same in return with Boozer. The Knicks are one the of the teams with cap space yes I know.

Last edited:
Who the hell wants David Lee? because he had 20/10/

D`antoni`s system is a stat stuffing system he wouldnt be close to those numbers in Utah

Put Deron in that System and he could go 25/12/6

Who the hell wants David Lee? because he had 20/10/

D`antoni`s system is a stat stuffing system he wouldnt be close to those numbers in Utah

Put Deron in that System and he could go 25/12/6

Thank you! David Lee is the same version of Millsap but white and less athletic.

More shots = more rebounds

You watch the knicks or suns ever play?

Oh yeah, I've seen Super Mario coach the Suns and the Knicks. Don't get me wrong his system is not defensive oriented in anyway. I guess he could make a Grant Hill on the Suns team right now playing like he's 30 look like he's back in rookie form with the Pistons doing Home Improvement episodes.

But you still have to have talent to play on any NBA team. No team just gives you layups, or possessions. Well, maybe they do, but these players have a certain extent of talent. I don't like Lee in any way, shape or form, but I think people exaggerate the whole D' Antoni system thing. It got him to the Western Conference Finals, and close to the finals had they not been stonewalled against the Spurs. Mike's a smart guy, he ain't a cockroach.

Oh yeah, I've seen Super Mario coach the Suns and the Knicks. Don't get me wrong his system is not defensive oriented in anyway. I guess he could make a Grant Hill on the Suns team right now playing like he's 30 look like he's back in rookie form with the Pistons doing Home Improvement episodes.

But you still have to have talent to play on any NBA team. No team just gives you layups, or possessions. Well, maybe they do, but these players have a certain extent of talent. I don't like Lee in any way, shape or form, but I think people exaggerate the whole D' Antoni system thing. It got him to the Western Conference Finals, and close to the finals had they not been stonewalled against the Spurs. Mike's a smart guy, he ain't a cockroach.

He is a good coach, but it still wont get him a ring when other teams play Defense.

He is good at making players seem better than they are(some atleast)

Examples:

Quinton Richardson
Boris Diaw
David Lee

I would just rather have Millsap hell even Elton Brand over David Lee.

Yeah, Lee is a 30th pick that got lucky. He put up stats though before Mario came there, but the guy definitely can't run a team. He'd be like the bench player; the Millsap I guess for a contending team. Whoever suggested him, just leave (Whomever you are).

Hey, I was just throwing Lee out there as a potential replacement player. I'm not saying that we should go for him or anything. I would be open to any other ideas as well.

Im perfectly fine with Millsap as the starting PF, aslong as we get some length in the draft.

Highly agree here. Also, PM was fatigued when he started all of those games for Boozer more likely because he wasn't used to those type of minutes. If he comes in from the start of the season as the #1 option at PF than he will have a lot better stamina to not wind down so easily. Also, his height doesn't bother me because he seems to always get it done pretty much no matter what. He was a beast against the Lakers in our playoff series this year, Carlos Boozer was not.

He is a good coach, but it still wont get him a ring when other teams play Defense.

He is good at making players seem better than they are(some atleast)

Examples:

Quinton Richardson
Boris Diaw
David Lee

I would just rather have Millsap hell even Elton Brand over David Lee.

*cough* Shawn Marion *cough* You seem to be forgetting someone

I am of the opinion the Jazz will make a large offer to Boozer and either pay the Luxury Tax for one year or move some contracts mid-season. As much as we all love Millsap he is more tradable than Boozer is.

If it was up to me I would explore the sign and trade market but it may not exist.

I am of the opinion the Jazz will make a large offer to Boozer and either pay the Luxury Tax for one year or move some contracts mid-season. As much as we all love Millsap he is more tradable than Boozer is.

If it was up to me I would explore the sign and trade market but it may not exist.

5 Year Deal. No way the Jazz pony up for 5 years. If Booze got frozen out of the market with 4 year offers or less, I could see the Jazz being tempted. But in this market, Booze is going to get a 5 year offer from somebody. The real question is what extra salary hit the Jazz would absorb in an S&T instead of just letting him go and taking the whole savings.