What's new

Goodbye, Green Party

The scientific community sounds like a very broad concept to me. What exactly determines that a hypothesis is shared by the "scientific community" in general?

A good start would be the various medical and scientific bodies. AMA, NSA of the US, etc. All of the major organizations support vaccination.

I was just throwing it out there as evidence of some people thinking that some vaccines are linked to autism.

Some people think the earth is flat.

Which "experts" and scientists are right and which are wrong?

The actual experts, the ones who study disease for a living and support immunization at something like the 99% rate.

Your links against mine. Feel free to look for a link that exposes https://unmaskingorac.blogspot.com/

The best source to discredit unmaskingorac is unmaskingorac.

Gorski consistently trashes holistic medicine and vaccine skeptics under the pen name "Orac" on the website ScienceBlogs, heavily sponsored by the drug industry.

Scienceblogs is owned by the Seed Media Group, and Orac started out as an independent blogger before Scienceblogs even existed.

His motto is “A statement of fact cannot be insolent,” yet the title of his blog reads “Respectful Insolence.” In other words, even he admits there are no facts on his blog.

Apparently, unmaskingorac is unable to understand that you can have facts and opinions in the same post.

In case anybody’s wondering what David Gorski’s connection is to the autism debate, he has undisclosed financial ties to the vaccine industry. He has made no mention of these connections,

Anyone who actually read Respectful Insolence back in 2012 knows he regularly mentioned (and probably still does) his research, which does indeed use cancer drugs. Nothing was hidden

Having no legimate defense, unmaskingorac resorts to lies and distortions. Why are you quoting them?

Go to an old cemetery. Observe for yourself the graves of children. **** off with the ant-vaccine nonsense.

What's pro-CAM?

Complementary and alternative medicine.

As an aside, as a whole I'm not a huge believer in most CAM but reasonably tolerant toward it (to an extent). However, I feel this way about a lot of medicine as a whole. It's not that a lot of medicine isn't valid and doesn't work, it's that often it's the benefit, effect sizes and relative risk reduction is significantly less than we perceive it. As a society we look at the world of science putting us on the moon and giving us the Internet, so we naturally have a more magical view of medicine. Medical science is wonderful, but we're making a lot of policy based on magical and distorted views, which isn't good for many reasons.

Complementary and alternative medicine.

As an aside, as a whole I'm not a huge believer in most CAM but reasonably tolerant toward it (to an extent). However, I feel this way about a lot of medicine as a whole. It's not that a lot of medicine isn't valid and doesn't work, it's that often it's the benefit, effect sizes and relative risk reduction is significantly less than we perceive it. As a society we look at the world of science putting us on the moon and giving us the Internet, so we naturally have a more magical view of medicine. Medical science is wonderful, but we're making a lot of policy based on magical and distorted views, which isn't good for many reasons.

Thanks.

I think eventually medicine will become a quantitative information science. But that's a long ways away. Meanwhile, we'll have to do with the limited scope of medicinal science. It is inescapable given the enormous complexity of the human body.

Have you ever met anyone that had polio as a child? Dude, the diseases that we vaccinate for are crazy scary. Vaccines are arguably the greatest thing ever invented. It's not hyperbole.

I haven't and I'm glad that a vaccine helped some people not get polio. No need to be an *** about the whole thing is all I'm saying. I guess all vaccines, without exception, have always been wonderful.

I haven't and I'm glad that a vaccine helped some people not get polio. No need to be an *** about the whole thing is all I'm saying. I guess all vaccines, without exception, have always been wonderful.

There is very good reason to be an *** about it. We are losing herd immunity due to people buying into pseudo science bull ****. People on chemo, kids who are allergic to vaccines, the elderly, infants, kids with stupid or irresponsible parents, etc depend on the rest of us to not cause an outbreak.

Have you ever met anyone that had polio as a child? Dude, the diseases that we vaccinate for are crazy scary. Vaccines are arguably the greatest thing ever invented. It's not hyperbole.

This. Vaccines might have some side effects that are unknown and unproven but they are the greatest medical invention in the history of man-kind and possibly greatest invention period. They have had the most positive impact on the health of humans of anything invented by a long shot.

What's pro-CAM?
Surprised you didn't know this. I figured you know everything.
(I had no idea what pro-CAM was btw)

There is very good reason to be an *** about it. We are losing herd immunity due to people buying into pseudo science bull ****. People on chemo, kids who are allergic to vaccines, the elderly, infants, kids with stupid or irresponsible parents, etc depend on the rest of us to not cause an outbreak.

This. Vaccines might have some side effects that are unknown and unproven but they are the greatest medical invention in the history of man-kind and possibly greatest invention period. They have had the most positive impact on the health of humans of anything invented by a long shot.

I'd say the "some people not get polio" should be more like, "rid the world of an epidemic disease." Think ebola, but EVERYWHERE.

These

A good start would be the various medical and scientific bodies. AMA, NSA of the US, etc. All of the major organizations support vaccination.

Some people think the earth is flat.

The actual experts, the ones who study disease for a living and support immunization at something

That is not a answer! You are being ambiguous an trite.

Do you really want to me to refute a copy/paste list of links that you dumped on me without reading? Outrageous. Specially that this isn't my area of expertise (but I'm sure it's yours given your apparently extensive research :rolleyes: )

I love you.