What's new

Google Fiber; A wakeup call to Comcast, Time Warner, and others

KatieMCR

Today Google announced their Google Fiber service. It is insanely fast 1.0 Gbps internet delivered to the home via fiber. The internet has no data caps. On top of that, they are launching a TV service. They have a bundle of the TV service and 1.0 Gbps internet for the insanely low price of $120.00/month. The bundle comes with a Nexus 7 tablet to use as a remote for the TV service. It includes 3 boxes. A 2 TB hard drive box to act as DVR storage for all TV boxes, a TV box, and WiFi router box. It also comes with 1 TB of storage for Google Drive. Don't want to pay for 1.0 Gbps internet? Google will give you 5.0 Mbps internet for free (after a $300.00 install fee).

The only downside? For now, it's only in Kansas City. If this takes off with a nationwide expansion, Google will crush Comcast and Time Warner. I really hope this service makes it to SLC someday. I'd rather not have to move to Kansas City to get it. Does anyone here live in Kansas City?

https://fiber.google.com

[video=youtube_share;ffHLIZh0PHg]https://youtu.be/ffHLIZh0PHg

This is insane. I pay $85/month for my 90 Mbps internet alone. I'll be all over this if they release it nationally.

Does this require fiber wiring in the house? 99.999999999999% of the homes in America aren't wired for fiber.

Does this require fiber wiring in the house? 99.999999999999% of the homes in America aren't wired for fiber.

I know it requires fiber to be run TO the home, but that's why Google is charging $300.00 for install. If you commit for 2 years to the $120/mo bundle that fee is waived. If you commit for 1 year to the $70/mo plan, the fee is also waived.

This makes me want to say "Screw you dirty Kansas City." So, screw you dirty Kansas City. /reallyjealouspost

I bet you have a data cap on that service too. I know Comcast has a cap of 250 GB per month.

As far as I know, nope. Either that or I've yet to reach the limit, which is hard to believe considering all of the, ahem, material I download.

This is almost as exciting as when Gmail first started! First the question was what in the world are we going to do with all this overkill of storage? Most of us answered nothing. Now what are we going to do with all this extra speed? Most of us won't do anything. Hey, but it sounds nice.

This is almost as exciting as when Gmail first started! First the question was what in the world are we going to do with all this overkill of storage? Most of us answered nothing. Now what are we going to do with all this extra speed? Most of us won't do anything. Hey, but it sounds nice.

Just like everyone has stuff to fill out that extra storage in gmail now, there will be stuff to use this extra speed. You build it, and developers will give you a way to use it.

"You'll never need more than 64K of memory" -- Allegedly, Bill Gates circa 1985.

Streaming high resolution 3D with 7.1 surround sound eats a lot of bandwidth.

Just like everyone has stuff to fill out that extra storage in gmail now, there will be stuff to use this extra speed. You build it, and developers will give you a way to use it.

"You'll never need more than 64K of memory" -- Allegedly, Bill Gates circa 1985.

Streaming high resolution 3D with 7.1 surround sound eats a lot of bandwidth.

I did come off a bit dickish. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as Katie from the competition standpoint, the more the better, but obviously there are places around the world that already offer those speeds and having used those speeds myself, it's a luxury, no more, no less right now. I'm not discounting future innovation. But day 1? I don't care.

I did come off a bit dickish. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as Katie from the competition standpoint, the more the better, but obviously there are places around the world that already offer those speeds and having used those speeds myself, it's a luxury, no more, no less right now. I'm not discounting future innovation. But day 1? I don't care.
yeah
i got 100mbps up and 100mbs down, and some standard television channels for 12.50 euros a month

yeah
i got 100mbps up and 100mbs down, and some standard television channels for 12.50 euros a month

I must admit I didn't realize the average US speeds were so low. If Google can help bring our pity 2.5-3.5 Mb/s national average up, that would be very nice. Mine's not even close to yours, but it would apparently feel like lighting to most of my fellow countrymen. I assumed what I have is pretty average, but I guess not.