What's new

Google Fiber, Xfinity or other?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Currently have Xfinity for cable tv and internet. Love how easy it is to record programs and it gives us local channels, etc. But we still pay for Netflix, Hulu and probably some other stuff in addition to Xfinity. Xfinity bill alone is about $250 including internet and cable boxes for three tv's at $9.99 each/ month. Google fiber was just installed in our neighborhood so thinking it might be time to switch.

What do you use, how much is it and can you record your programming? Pros and cons?

Last edited:
I'm in California but we have fiber here. We don't do tv at all so that isn't an issue. We pay for the fastest they have though because of multiple devices connected.

I'm patiently waiting for Google fiber in my area. Supposedly soon(tm).

I ditched full cable from xfinity and I'll be honest, having the DVR, guide, etc., was easier than what I'm doing now and between the xfinity internet and various services I pay for there's not a lot of difference in price. Xfinity is easy mode for just enjoying the shows you want to watch supplemented with a netflix, prime, hulu, disney or whatever if you care about their exclusive content.

If Xfinity would cut me a loyalty discount that was permanent and not make me call them every 6 months to a year to spend more than an hour on the phone so that I could get the actual price for my service instead of the suckers price they try to extract from you I'd probably stick with them. Simply based on principle I will not support them because of how they force you to jump through hours of hoops to get their best deal.

We have Utopia fiber , and our ISP is Xmission ($50/mo). We only do streaming services... and my wife has us subscribed to everything under the sun. Here's our full lineup w/monthly subs, fresh from my monthly budget spreadsheet:

*Home entertainment
Utopia
30​
Xmission
50​
©Hulu
26.8​
©Netflix
15.49​
©Amazon Prime
11.58​
©Disney+
11.78​
©Noggin
8.57​
©Amazon Music
14.21​
©Amazon Photos
5.00​
©Amazon Kids
5.35​
©xbox Live
10.71​
©AppleTV
7.50​
©Paramount+
12.86​
©PBS Masterpiece
6.42​
216.27​

We're not starving for entertainment, needless to say. We can't record anything, and I don't have a sports package running anywhere-- that's something you'd have to figure in. I'm assuming you wouldn't want half of the crap we're subscribed to, though, and could probably land at less than the $200ish total we're spending with premium content, kid channels, etc.

Hope this helps.

We have Utopia fiber , and our ISP is Xmission ($50/mo). We only do streaming services... and my wife has us subscribed to everything under the sun. Here's our full lineup w/monthly subs, fresh from my monthly budget spreadsheet:

*Home entertainment
Utopia
30​
Xmission
50​
©Hulu
26.8​
©Netflix
15.49​
©Amazon Prime
11.58​
©Disney+
11.78​
©Noggin
8.57​
©Amazon Music
14.21​
©Amazon Photos
5.00​
©Amazon Kids
5.35​
©xbox Live
10.71​
©AppleTV
7.50​
©Paramount+
12.86​
©PBS Masterpiece
6.42​
216.27​

We're not starving for entertainment, needless to say. We can't record anything, and I don't have a sports package running anywhere-- that's something you'd have to figure in. I'm assuming you wouldn't want half of the crap we're subscribed to, though, and could probably land at less than the $200ish total we're spending with premium content, kid channels, etc.

Hope this helps.
Just cancel all that crap and get cinemaHD lol. Has all those channels and movies still in theaters. Use methstreams for sports. Now your bill is 50 dollars per month.