What's new

Gordon Hayward, Enes Kanter, and Derrick Favors EQUALS Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parrish

Matthew Thomas Castleton

Now, tell me where I am wrong. Sure, these three players may not be at the 1980's Celtics level yet, but I think that they have the potential to do so.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Now, tell me where I am wrong. Sure, these three players may not be at the 1980's Celtics level yet, but I think that they have the potential to do so.

Kanter/Favors could MAYBE and that's a big maybe reach the level of what McHale/Parish were in their primes. Hayward compared to Bird??? NO EFFING WAY IN ANY POSSIBLE SCENARIO

Well, I think that as a group, they could end up similar. Each player does not need to equal each other player exactly. I actually think that Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors have the potential to be BETTER players than Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish. This would allow Gordon Hayward to not have to equal Larry Bird. Even though Hayward and Bird had eerily similar college careers. Both players played for small colleges in Indiana and led their respective teams to the National Championship Game before losing. They both play the Small Forward position. I think that you are way underestimating Gordon. He is 23 years old. By time he is done, he could and should be one hell of a player.

Especially if they have a potential All-Star-caliber Point Guard setting up plays for them in Trey Burke.

Especially if they have a potential All-Star-caliber Point Guard setting up plays for them in Trey Burke.

referring to trey as an All-Star-caliber Point Guard is putting the cart before the horse
comparing hayward to a Hall of Famer is putting two carts before the horse

Larry Bird is an incredible player. A pure legend. The fact that you're comparing him to Hayward is straight up offensive.

And I love Gordo.

You mean like Dennis Johnson. I don't know how old you are but as time passes people tend to forget how great a player (Larry Bird) was. I love Gordon but he is no where near the player Bird was nor will he be. Now maybe he gets to the John Havlicek level but he still has a way to go to do that. I believe that both Kanter/Favors have the potential to be better than McHale and Parish but they have a long way to go to prove that too.

Right now the jury is still out on all three Jazz players. This is the first year that Kanter and Favors will get significant playing time and be responsible for how the team does. Can they step up? or are they really not good enough. The one thing that all three players of the Boston Trio have done is they did step up and win championships. You can't start comparing players who have barely played to players who have won championships and proven their greatness. However, I like the possibilities of the Utah trio and I am excited for their legacy to be built.

Well, I think that as a group, they could end up similar. Each player does not need to equal each other player exactly. I actually think that Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors have the potential to be BETTER players than Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish. This would allow Gordon Hayward to not have to equal Larry Bird. Even though Hayward and Bird had eerily similar college careers. Both players played for small colleges in Indiana and led their respective teams to the National Championship Game before losing. They both play the Small Forward position. I think that you are way underestimating Gordon. He is 23 years old. By time he is done, he could and should be one hell of a player.

Probably one of the top 10 dumbest posts in the history of Jazzfanz.

Bird, McHale, Parrish I think are all in the HOF.
If one of the Jazz big three made it, it would be surprising.

I think you meant Hayward, Kanter, Favors > Bird, McHale, Parrish

Think about it, McHale is some Lurch-lookin' mo-fro, Parrish was on pot his whole life and Bird grew a molester-stache.

It's simple math.

You do realize that McHale and Parrish are both in the Hall of Fame, right? And both voted to the "top 50 players of all time" list in 1996. (along with Bird, of course)

Sure, Kanter and Favors have the POTENTIAL to be better... they haven't maxed out their potential yet so who knows what it will be. But I wouldn't put any money on them both becoming Hall of Fame players.

For completeness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_in_the_Naismith_Memorial_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame

Larry J. Bird F 3x NBA Champion (1981, 1984, 1986)
3x NBA Most Valuable Player (1984–1986)
12× NBA All-Star (1980–1988, 1990–1992)
2x NBA Finals MVP (1984, 1986)
9x All-NBA First Team (1980–1988)
All-NBA Second Team (1990)
3x NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1982–1984)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1980)
NBA All-Rookie Team (1980)
50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)

Kevin E. McHale F-C 3× NBA Champion (1981, 1984, 1986)
7× NBA All-Star (1984, 1986–1991)
2x NBA Sixth Man of the Year (1984–1985)
All-NBA First Team (1987)
All-NBA Second Team (1978 )
3× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1986–1988)
3x NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1983, 1990–1991)
NBA All-Rookie Team (1981)

Robert L. Parish C 4× NBA Champion (1981, 1984, 1986, 1997)
9× NBA All-Star (1981–1987, 1990–1991)
All-NBA Second Team (1982)
All-NBA Third Team (1987)

Bird is one of the best players to ever play the game. His ability to hit the clutch shot, heck, any shot was legendary. Bird was drafted in the NBA draft, the year before he came out! Think about that for a second. Hayward is a nice player, but he is nothing compared to Larry Legend.

I always thought that McHale and Parrish were solid players but not the reason for the Celtics success. If we get Wiggins or Parker and one of them happens to turn into a top 5 player of all time them we can talk about that group rivaling the Celtics, but it won't be because of Kanter or Favors in that scenario, it will be because Wiggins or Parker are lighting it up and making the game easier for everyone else.

Hayward doesn't have the talent to carry Larry's jock. And I like Hayward a lot. Sorry to go off, but the idea of this is just plain nuts.

Last edited:
just when I think homerism on this site reached all time highs I see this thread.
Why just not say Hayward will be better then Jordan, Kanter better then Malone and Favors better then Chamberlain?

LO-fricken-L...Hayward = Bird. Where do people even come up with this ****?

Well they're both from small Indiana Universities. Hard to deny the similarities...

Well they're both from small Indiana Universities. Hard to deny the similarities...

They're both white too.

I would think the op is speaking of potential, and even then it's quite a stretch but, I don't understand all the hate. Favors and Kanter have shown glimpses of how awesome they could be, so I don't think it's outrageous to project them to be great players. Hayward has shown that he can be something special even as inconsistant he has been. I think his ceiling is more like Ginobili though. I think Nowitzki was the closest to Bird and still Bird was better but, I've seen more homer posts here before; op just didn't articulate very well.

In all likelihood, the Jazz will be lucky to make it to the finals once, but it's nice to be optimistic.

Last edited: