What's new

Gordon Hayward is the Jazz's version of Manu Ginobili.

Matthew Thomas Castleton

Both players are dynamite play makers/scorers that play better of the bench than they do as starters. However, both players receive starter's minutes. I think that Alec Burks is our future at the starting shooting guard position. Josh Howard plays better as a starter than off the bench. I still want to give C.J. minutes because he does have outside shooting and scoring ability. This is the depth chart I want the Jazz to go with down the stretch:

PG: Devin Harris, Earl Watson/Jamaal Tinsley (Tinsley has been playing better than Watson lately, so I would seriously consider moving him up to primary reserve PG)
SG: Alec Burks, C.J. Miles, Raja Bell
SF: Josh Howard, Gordon Hayward, Jeremy Evans
PF: Paul Millsap, Derrick Favors, Jeremy Evans
C: Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors (starter when Jefferson is out)

Last edited:
I'd rather Hayward be the Jazz version of Scottie Pippen.

Now all we need is the Jordan. Those are easy to find, right?

I wouldn't compare Hayward to Manu ever. Manu came into the league and was immediately effective for the spurs. He got himself involved in everything both offensively and defensively. Manu would check into the game and make his opponent look like an idiot. Hayward is showing some upside but not even close to the level that Manu showed at the same age. As much ad I can't stand Manu He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Hayward. But you never know. Hayward has nothing But time on his side, and hopefully He develops into a Ginobili type player, that would be great.

While I agree Hayward is not there yet, I think we have a bit of revisionist history re: Manu. The same age comparsion doesn't hold water: Gordon is 21, Manu was 25 when he came into the league, with quite a bit of international experience. Remember, he was drafted in 1999, but then returned to play in Italy a couple of seasons. His numbers were good, but not overly impressive his first two years with San Antonio.

Manu
Season
TEAM
G
MIN
FG
FGA
FG%
FG3
FG3A
FG3%
FT
FTA
FT%
PTS
AVG
2002-03
San Antonio
2003-04
San Antonio

Hayward
Season
TEAM
G
MIN
FG
FGA
FG%
FG3
FG3A
FG3%
FT
FTA
FT%
PTS
AVG
2010-11
Utah
2011-12
Utah

Hayward is struggling a bit with his 3 pt shot this year, but I'd say his averages compare favorably against Manu's, especially when you consider he's 21 vs. Manu at 25 and just a couple of seasons of college ball vs. Manu's impressive resume of int'l experience. Is it safe to say Hayward at 22 next year might average the 12.8 that Manu put up at age 26? Maybe Barkley was on to something with his effusive praise of Hayward during all-star weekend.

Last edited:
While I agree Hayward is not there yet, I think we have a bit of revisionist history re: Manu. The same age comparsion doesn't hold water: Gordon is 21, Manu was 25 when he came into the league, with quite a bit of international experience. Remember, he was drafted in 1999, but then returned to play in Italy a couple of seasons. His numbers also weren't overly impressive his first two years with San Antonio

SeasonTEAMGMINFGFGAFG%FG3FG3AFG3%FTFTAFT%PTSAVG
2002-03San Antonio69143117439743.85114834.512617173.75257.6
2003-04San Antonio77226033078941.88824535.923929880.298712.8

Hayward is struggling a bit with his 3 pt shot, but I'd say his averages compare favorably against Manu's, especially when you consider he's 21 vs. Manu at 25 and just a couple of seasons of college vs. Manu's resume of int'l experience when he finally came into the league.

That is a good comparison. I wasn't even really thinking about comparing them as overall players. I was simply showing how they are doing similar things for their respective teams. However, I do think that Hayward has the potential to develop into a Manu Ginobili-type player for the Jazz. He consistently will be in the 6th Man of the Year conversation if he keeps his new role with the Jazz into the future. Raja Bell's career is OVER. It is time to give Alec Burks the starting position at shooting guard while C.J. Miles should receive all of the primary reserve minutes. I am sorry, but Bell simply does nothing for our team anymore that we don't get from Burks or C.J. Alec is the type of player that the Jazz have needed at SG since Jeff Hornacek retired. He is extremely athletic, has a great work ethic, plays really good defense, and has really good outside shooting ability. He is Ronnie Brewer with a better outside jump shot. Burks was fantastic tonight.

Good comparison but what about rebounds, steals, blocks, turn over and assists? I think those categories are as equal If not more important? You will see quite a difference

I'd rather Hayward be the Jazz version of Scottie Pippen.

Now all we need is the Jordan. Those are easy to find, right?

Given that I have the same birthday is Michael Jordan, I believe the Jazz should give me a one year franchise player style contract.

As long as Hayward doesn't start to develop a bald spot that I have to stare at all game long I'm cool with him being a Manu type player!

I wouldn't compare Hayward to Manu ever. Manu came into the league and was immediately effective for the spurs. He got himself involved in everything both offensively and defensively. Manu would check into the game and make his opponent look like an idiot. Hayward is showing some upside but not even close to the level that Manu showed at the same age. As much ad I can't stand Manu He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Hayward. But you never know. Hayward has nothing But time on his side, and hopefully He develops into a Ginobili type player, that would be great.

True but keep in mind Ginobili entered the league as a 25 year old. Hayward was a 20 year old off his freshman year when he entered the league. I agree that Hayward has nowhere near the playmaking ability nor the aggressive offensive mentality of Ginobili but he also has 5 years to bridge that gap

I've always thought they have similar play styles. Both are more crafty than athletic. Nights like last night make you think that he can get there someday.

I've always thought they have similar play styles. Both are more crafty than athletic. Nights like last night make you think that he can get there someday.

If coming off the bench makes Hayward raise his game then lets keep him as the 6th man with major minutes

True but keep in mind Ginobili entered the league as a 25 year old. Hayward was a 20 year old off his freshman year when he entered the league. I agree that Hayward has nowhere near the playmaking ability nor the aggressive offensive mentality of Ginobili but he also has 5 years to bridge that gap

Actually, he was a sophomore.

Good comparison. I've often thought we needed a Ginobli type of player but hadn't really thought of comparing the two, until now. I've thought of Hayward as almost an AK 2.0, but with a reasonable contract, better attitude, and jump shot. And actually I think Hayward is, or can be if he isn't already, a better playmaker because of his passing ability and unselfishness.

If coming off the bench makes Hayward raise his game then lets keep him as the 6th man with major minutes

I can see Hayward going either way, but I think his problems starting is more to both Jefferson and Millsap being one on one players. When they get the ball it usually doesn't go anywhere else. Once Favors and Kanter are the starters I don't think Hayward will have that problem.

I can see Hayward going either way, but I think his problems starting is more to both Jefferson and Millsap being one on one players. When they get the ball it usually doesn't go anywhere else. Once Favors and Kanter are the starters I don't think Hayward will have that problem.

I meant it more in a for now kind of way. Down the road it shoudl be revisted.

Good comparison. I've often thought we needed a Ginobli type of player but hadn't really thought of comparing the two, until now. I've thought of Hayward as almost an AK 2.0, but with a reasonable contract, better attitude, and jump shot. And actually I think Hayward is, or can be if he isn't already, a better playmaker because of his passing ability and unselfishness.

AKMVP in. 3...............2..............1................