What's new

Gordon Hayward portrait article

Oh please... Good player but nothing close to being a franchise player. Franchise players don't make you feel unsafe about every decision they make with the ball, especially at the end of games. And it looks like he's been given the green light to close them, eeck.

Oh please... Good player but nothing close to being a franchise player. Franchise players don't make you feel unsafe about every decision they make with the ball, especially at the end of games. And it looks like he's been given the green light to close them, eeck.

Lebron had huge troubles finishing off games in his 5th year. People were calling him out left right and centre for not being clutch. Hayward DOES turn it over more than I think he should in the 4th quarter. But it's goddamn hard to finish off a 4th quarter. And he's definitely had good games where he's finished off the 4th quarter strong too. And the stats don't lie: he's one of the best in the league in isolation plays, and Lowe said he has a low turnover rate on those, although I can't verify that myself.

I have no idea why you say you're unsafe with every decision he makes. That's definitely your own bias against him after already deciding you don't like him. He does sometimes rush into defenses with no plan, and those are moments you cringe. But he's already so much more improved on that compared to last season, perhaps helped by his muscle gain in the offseason.

Also, the article title is a lot stronger than the article itself. The article just talks about him blooming into a great player. It never ventures to actually answer the question of whether he should be considered a franchise player. That's just a catchy title that doesn't reflect the tone of the article.

Lebron had huge troubles finishing off games in his 5th year. People were calling him out left right and centre for not being clutch. Hayward DOES turn it over more than I think he should in the 4th quarter. But it's goddamn hard to finish off a 4th quarter. And he's definitely had good games where he's finished off the 4th quarter strong too. And the stats don't lie: he's one of the best in the league in isolation plays, and Lowe said he has a low turnover rate on those, although I can't verify that myself.

I have no idea why you say you're unsafe with every decision he makes. That's definitely your own bias against him after already deciding you don't like him. He does sometimes rush into defenses with no plan, and those are moments you cringe. But he's already so much more improved on that compared to last season, perhaps helped by his muscle gain in the offseason.

Also, the article title is a lot stronger than the article itself. The article just talks about him blooming into a great player. It never ventures to actually answer the question of whether he should be considered a franchise player. That's just a catchy title that doesn't reflect the tone of the article.

Hayward has a TO ratio of 13.6%. Together with a usage rate of 25% that translates into 2.7 TO / 36min. The 25% usage rate is on the lower end of the spectrum that typical first option players have.

Who else should be closing out our games?

Hayward has a TO ratio of 13.6%. Together with a usage rate of 25% that translates into 2.7 TO / 36min. The 25% usage rate is on the lower end of the spectrum that typical first option players have.

How does his TO ratio compare to other first options?

How does his TO ratio compare to other first options?

First option quality players who are exceptional at taking care of the ball this season are:
Davis, Nowitzki with 6.4% TO ratio each. That's a phenomenal statline.
With around 26-26.5% they have a similarly low usage rate just like Gordon.
Al Jefferson has even a lower TO ratio with 6.0 and also 26.6 usage.
Jimmy Butler uses 21.9% of chicago's possessions while he's on the court and he coughs up only 7.9% of them.
Derrick Favors with 9.5% TO ratio in 23.6% of the possessions is still a strong value.
Chris Paul turns it over 12% of the time and his usage is 23%.
Dragic's number is 12.8% TO ratio with 21.7% usage.
For Mike Conley it's 13.1% and 25%
Curry for example has 15.1 and 28.4
LeBron is at 15.1 and 31.1.
Another wing creator James Harden has 15.3 and 31.4

It's a tricky stat to interpret.
I mean you have to seperate players who pound the ball a lot and initiate offenses. They will have naturally more turnovers. I usually look at the team's total turnover ratio and stuff. I think Hayward's number is solid. Could be better. Could be worse.

It's a tricky stat to interpret.
I mean you have to separate players who pound the ball a lot and initiate offenses. They will have naturally more turnovers. I usually look at the team's total turnover ratio and stuff. I think Hayward's number is solid. Could be better. Could be worse.
Thanks for the analysis. Hayward is certainly in the group of players who initiate the offense. Hopefully if/when Exum develops, Hayward gets a bit more of a break in terms of his ball handling.