What's new

Gottlieb piece

For those of you who are not Insiders

No one will argue with the assertion that the 2011 draft pool is on the weaker side. Still, while the NBA rookie scale is the envy of the other major leagues, the idea of taking a lottery pick is generally to try to get a starter, or even a potential star. Some teams make picks based on fit more than rating, but some players at the same position (or close to the same position) seem to me to project as far better NBA players than others. With a tip of the cap to the "Eat This, Not That" folks, let me introduce "Pick This, Not That" for the 2011 NBA draft:

Pick Enes Kanter, not Derrick Williams....
edited by moderator: copying insider material is a violation of the forum rules.

To summarize Gottlieb's piece, he's of the belief Derrick Williams has no true-position and that a team would require an up-tempo style and a pass-first PG for him to be successful because in half-court sets his "lack of defined skill becomes apparent" -whatever that means.

He says Kanter is the better prospect and it's "not even close" because he can play both PF and C and that Kanter "has not played competitively in a year, but when he has played, he looks like arguably the best prospect." -again, whatever that means.

Essentially this is what I would expect to come from Doug Gottleib.

Other points:
Gottlieb would take Singleton over Leonard, Jenkins over Kemba, Thompson over Burks, and Jon Leur over the Morris twins. Basically find a player ranked highly on Chad Ford's big board and pick a lower-ranked player over him.

I'm not a fan of Doug's, but don't disagree with his assessment, either.
REALLY????!!!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Well if the Jazz Kanter and Singleton, Gottlieb better give us an A grade for the draft. LMAO!!! I don't agree with all his projects but I do agree that teams need to consider style of play when comparing two similar players. By the way I would be extremely happy with Kanter and Singleton.

Well if the Jazz Kanter and Singleton, Gottlieb better give us an A grade for the draft. LMAO!!! I don't agree with all his projects but I do agree that teams need to consider style of play when comparing two similar players. By the way I would be extremely happy with Kanter and Singleton.

I'd be happy with Kanter/Singleton only if we get a backup pg with starting potential (Flynn) Thats what I liked about Watson so much last year, he was such a great fill in starter. I'd go with Flynn, 1st he's cheap, 2nd he needs a new start, 3rd Minnys coach just doesnt do a great job playing his talent... Love avgd 28-30 minutes for the 1st half of the season. And 4th I don't see Watson wanting to come back to Utah, I think he would much rather go to a team like New York.

Gottlieb is a terrible analyst for anything NBA-related. Kanter might be better than Williams, and I also feel Jenkins is a better prospect than Kemba, but outside of a few things we agree on and/or he gets right, he's awful.

What I found odd is he gave Kanter the most praise out of all those guys yet Kanter's description was smaller than everyone else. Like only 5% of the article is actually about Kanter. meh, pretty pointless.

I'd be very happy with a Kanter/Singleton draft. Why is everyone so desperate to draft a PG? I understand that Harris isn't the PG of the future, but he is more than decent and next year's draft is a lot better at the PG position. Take the best freakin' player available people. Use the additional assets afterwards to acquire needed parts, but PG is hardly a position of such desperate need that everyone wants to pass up on clearly better talent.

I sometimes listen to Gottlieb's program during my lunch. From what I can see he is, while interesting enough, a big pile of meh when it comes to his personal evaluations of anything sports-related.

I'd be very happy with a Kanter/Singleton draft. Why is everyone so desperate to draft a PG? I understand that Harris isn't the PG of the future, but he is more than decent and next year's draft is a lot better at the PG position. Take the best freakin' player available people. Use the additional assets afterwards to acquire needed parts, but PG is hardly a position of such desperate need that everyone wants to pass up on clearly better talent.

I agree. Kanter/Singleton would be a decent draft. If jazz want to get bigger, Kanter should be the selection at #3, if he's there. I'm still intrigued by DWill. I think there's a chance the draft goes Irving/Kanter, with Minny trading down. If KOC thinks Willaims can play the 3 (just like he thought Hayward could play SG), then DWill's size will create mismatches. I'd like to see a lineup of Favors-Jefferson-Hayward-Williams-Harris, with Millsap, CJ and the #12 pick as backups. I think Watson could be talked into returning. That's a decent 9-man rotation. Then the Jazz could look to trade Harris and/or CJ and Memo's expirings if a change is needed at PG.

I agree. Kanter/Singleton would be a decent draft. If jazz want to get bigger, Kanter should be the selection at #3, if he's there. I'm still intrigued by DWill. I think there's a chance the draft goes Irving/Kanter, with Minny trading down. If KOC thinks Willaims can play the 3 (just like he thought Hayward could play SG), then DWill's size will create mismatches. I'd like to see a lineup of Favors-Jefferson-Hayward-Williams-Harris, with Millsap, CJ and the #12 pick as backups. I think Watson could be talked into returning. That's a decent 9-man rotation. Then the Jazz could look to trade Harris and/or CJ and Memo's expirings if a change is needed at PG.

Yeah as much as I like Kanter - I'd have to agree that this line up is more in line with KOC's "re-tooling" theory.

It's a line up that could get us back to the playoffs straight away next year.

We'll have 3 young guns in Favors, Hayward and Williams PLUS Jimmer might be able to join once Harris leaves in 2 years.

Gottlieb is a terrible analyst for anything NBA-related. Kanter might be better than Williams, and I also feel Jenkins is a better prospect than Kemba, but outside of a few things we agree on and/or he gets right, he's awful.

So can one infer from this statement that an important criterion for being a good NBA analyst is that he/she agrees with you?

Just a friendly ribbing.

But a serious question. So much in sports talk is subjective opinion. Even opinions backed up by stats leave room for a wide variety of possible interpretations. Really, in how many cases is it possible to conclude objectively that an analyst, talking head, or fan is "right?"

Not a fan of Gottleib either. Part of his style is to throw mud against the wall with the concept that if something sticks - he looks like a genius - if it doesn't people won't remember (such as that report that Bob Knight was returning to coach Ohio State).

There are numerous college basketball analysts on ESPN who are better informed, have better sources and are more reliable.