What's new

Grayson Allen or Nikola Mirotic

Would you rather have Mirotic or Alen?

• Total voters

Jack Strop

Now that the Jazz have selected Allen, let's revisit the decision by Lindsey not to offer our 1st round pick to Chicago before NO swooped in to get him.

Very simple question. We have a time machine and can go back to the deadline. Dennis can send the 1st rounder and Alec Burks to Chicago for Mirotic. Or keep the pick as he did and draft Grayson. Who do you prefer, Allen or Mirotic?

I mean, I think everyone will probably vote for Mirotic but it's not that simple. We have to remember that at the trade deadline we weren't a very good team. It was looking like we were going to end up with a lottery pick and I don't think many would have wanted to trade a lottery pick for Niko. If Dennis Lindsey had a crystal ball and knew we were going to go on such a huge run to end the season and end up 5th in the west with the 21st overall pick he probably would have pulled the trigger on that trade, but I don't blame him for not wanting to trade a pick that very easily could have ended up a lottery pick.

Even if we ended up out of the playoffs, it was always going to be in the 12-14 range. Jazz had just played the hardest schedule in the league without Gobert. Rudy was coming back. The team was going to be at least a .500 team after he returned. So let's review what the expectations were at that time. Mocks had players like Brown, Miles Bridges, SGA, etc. in that range. Let's just discount Porter; no one knew he'd drop and there's a chance he doesn't even play this season. No way would Utah take a chance like that.

So is Mirotic more valuable than any of those players? I say yes. Lindsey was an idiot not to pull the trigger. He was EXACTLY the player who fit Utah's greatest area of need, something they STILL don't have.

I mean it's hard to know which was the correct move at the moment. We'll know in 2 or 3 years. Right now I prefer Grayson on a cheap rookie scale contract + possible cap space/roster options over the next couple of summers over Mirotic.

At this point Allen. If we went back in time Mirotic. But at this point Mirotic will be a FA next off season. We really need rookie salary players that can contribute for salary reasons long term.

I mean, I think everyone will probably vote for Mirotic but it's not that simple. We have to remember that at the trade deadline we weren't a very good team. It was looking like we were going to end up with a lottery pick and I don't think many would have wanted to trade a lottery pick for Niko. If Dennis Lindsey had a crystal ball and knew we were going to go on such a huge run to end the season and end up 5th in the west with the 21st overall pick he probably would have pulled the trigger on that trade, but I don't blame him for not wanting to trade a pick that very easily could have ended up a lottery pick.

This.

Thread/

Allen is younger, and he is a shooter. He doesn't blow up our salary cap. He fills a need. If we can't find shooting from the 4 position then maybe Mirotic would have been better, but I think the Jazz can sign someone similiar.

Last edited:
You can protect picks.

Voted for Allen just out of spite.

And yeah, because at the time it could have meant giving up an 11th pick or so, and I bet people would have been bitching about that.

I'm in the dark on this, but is there any evidence at all that Chicago would have have done a player like Burks and the first for Mirotic. Or is this whole idea that we could have had Mirotic based on pure speculation?

I'm in the dark on this, but is there any evidence at all that Chicago would have have done a player like Burks and the first for Mirotic. Or is this whole idea that we could have had Mirotic based on pure speculation?
They wanted a first rounder for him and were fairly public about that. They also wanted expiring salary. What ended up happening is they got a first rounder but took Asik, who had two more years at ~$11.5M/year. Plus Chicago threw in a couple second rounders. So asking if they’d take a first plus only one year of AB at $11.5, without having to give up two second rounders, then the answer is yes.

I think the statement that we could have had Mirotic for our 1st round pick is fake news. That was not on the table.

I think the statement that we could have had Mirotic for our 1st round pick is fake news. That was not on the table.
Right. Because they’d rather have NOP’s pick (which was a lot lower at the time), in addition to taking on a toxic contract, in addition to having to throw in two second rounders from their end.

Makes perfect sense.