What's new

Great break-up of Jazz's matchup zone against Magic

vj_74

https://nbaplaybook.com/2010/11/11/...:+NBAPlaybook+(NBA+Playbook)&utm_content=ESPN

Articles like the above are rare. It was fun to read.

Considering the complexity of it and the smooth coordination it needs as mentioned in that article, it is surprising that our coaches were able to install it in our system this early in the season. Not for nothing are Sloan and Phil Johnson revered around the league. And good execution by the team too. Hope they keep it up through the season and not let it be an one-off performance.

After reading that article fully, I loved how the Jazz ended up bamboozling the famed Magic offense, with its 3-pt shooting and all. If the Jazz can perfect this (AK seems to be pretty good already) then this can be used in short bursts when other teams have some hot hands going from beyond the arc.

Thanks VJ awesome read, this article is a good display of why the Jazz usually don't draft the first available 'superior' athlete, but also first check if he has actually enough brains to understand what he is supposed to do in the system. It is just way to complex to understand for knuckle heads who await to get the ball in a favourable position to jack up a shot, or everybody stays clear off their path to the hoop.

i know that zone. it is frustrating when you got 1 player freestyling(ala BOOOZE). whcih makes it collapse.
once you figure how to play this zone its the easiest sweetest way of defending

heck i like all zones:D.

Thanks VJ awesome read, this article is a good display of why the Jazz usually don't draft the first available 'superior' athlete, but also first check if he has actually enough brains to understand what he is supposed to do in the system. It is just way to complex to understand for knuckle heads who await to get the ball in a favourable position to jack up a shot, or everybody stays clear off their path to the hoop.

...hey! Where have you been all these years? You sound like a learned disciple of me! Nice post! Stick around....we need posters with "brains" like yours!

Great article. Nice find.

Like I said last night, Sloan did an excellent job last night with his play calling...especially on the defensive end.

Been enjoying NBA Playbook for some time now.

Kirilenko is generally awesome in zone defenses. In the mid aughts, they would occasionally run a box zone with Kirilenko at the top. They had a concept of 3 on 2 defense, creating triangle coverages. Kirilenko would fill the points to create the triangle. He'd be everywhere from each wing to underneath the basket. It was a unique and cool defense to watch.

Unfortunately, teams figured it out and ran Kirilenko ragged on it, getting open three point looks.

Very worthy post. Thanks!

I think the skill needed for something like this is discipline more than brains. Guys who could do calculus may or may not be able to follow the plan as tendencies like the one pointed out in the article - "stay in your zone" are sometime difficult to overcome.

Great find and good post.

It's also a nice luxury to know that we have players that are smart and capable enough on the defensive end to run a scheme like this. Fesenko challenged a ton of shots and then they started chucking 3's when they couldn't go inside. AK on the one play where he rotated from corner to corner was particularly impressive. AK is still a very underrated player, and having guys like Williams and Bell out there to back him up on the wing has been tremendous the last couple of games. I really enjoyed watching AK take it to LeBron, too, something that was hardly mentioned around these parts after the Miami win.