What's new

Great indie movies, foreign language films, or documentaries to rent?

Gyp Rosetti

Banned
Okay, help me out here. I'm off for the summer, and while I'm busting my *** to get into shape and reading some, I'd also like to catch some great flicks. So what's out there that's come out in the last few years that I should see in the indies or documentary categories?

Movies in general that I'm considering right now that I've never seen. Thoughts on them are welcome.

City of God
At Close Range (I never rented it like I mentioned months ago)
Infernal Affairs
Downfall
The Thin Blue Line
The American Friend/Der Amerikanische Freund

My biggest problem is I wonder how many of these Blockbuster will even have. Can anyone find me good rental stores with a wider selection for movies like some of these, namely Infernal Affairs, in the central NJ area? Also, Kicky or others, what other foreign language movies like Infernal Affairs should I rent? I'm in the mood for some intelligent, crime movies.

I'm definitely not a big fan of foreign films; but I recently watched "Let The Right One In" and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

They closed Blockbuster in my town (Cranford) and the town next to me (Westfield)

I'm definitely not a big fan of foreign films; but I recently watched "Let The Right One In" and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

They closed Blockbuster in my town (Cranford) and the town next to me (Westfield)

If the one by me closes, what the hell will my movie rental options be? On demand whose prices now exceed Blockbuster's? Netflix?

If the one by me closes, what the hell will my movie rental options be? On demand whose prices now exceed Blockbuster's? Netflix?

Ya... netflix doesn't suck.

We have hastings where I live (IF and Logan) and that's great. Not too expensive and a good selection (I usually go for the older stuff).

Netflix is your answer. Impeccable selection. Very reasonable prices.

City of God

Must see.

Infernal Affairs

If you've seen the Departed there's a substantial risk you'll be disappointed.

It's effective, but I hope you're not suffering from WWII fatigue the way I am.

The Thin Blue Line

If you want to watch an Errol Morris doc, I'd recommend Gates of Heaven.

If what you want is some solid indies, foreigns, and documentaries from the last couple of years I'll throw a few out there:

Persepolis (I think this is a three-fer: foreign independent documentary)
Departures
Shower
Please Vote for Me
51 Birch Street (the only English Language selection on this list)

and an older pick: Cinema Paradiso. One of the greatest movies ever made for people who love movies.

Thanks. Any other Japanese (or other foreign language) movies out there with the style, intelligence and criminal component of Internal Affairs?

Please explain.

The Departed wasn't original; it was an Adapted Screenplay based off of Infernal Affairs so Kicky's saying it's going to be hard not to compare, and possibly even, know what's going to happen before it happens when watching it, thus somewhat hurting the viewing experience.

Just signed up for NF. $8.99/month is cheap. How does it work though? I only get one at a time and as soon as I return it, the next one will come? How many can I put in queue? Right now, I have:

1) Infernal Affairs
2) City of God
3-6) Dexter Season One (even though from what I've seen I think it's just okay)
7-9) Breaking Bad Season One
10) 51 Birch Street
11) Cinema Paradiso
12) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
13) Rashomon

Last edited:
The Departed wasn't original; it was an Adapted Screenplay based off of Infernal Affairs so Kicky's saying it's going to be hard not to compare, and possibly even, know what's going to happen before it happens when watching it, thus somewhat hurting the viewing experience.

Oh ****. I knew that. For whatever reason I was reading INTERNAL affairs. My bad.

I really enjoyed City of God and Let the Right One In those two are must see (and quite possible on netflix Instant). Tampopo is a japanese film that is awesome but a little hard to find (and not even remotely close to The Departed). Amelie and Entre Nous are two french films that I thought were great. Amelie is more of the happy go lucky kind of film and Entre Nous take place in post WWII France.

While I'm not generally a big fan of vampire stories in my haunted cinema course we watched several and Nadja and Shadow of the Vampire were two that really stood out. Shadow of the Vampire is great because it takes the idea of what if movies that we accept as fiction were really a "documentary". Its the "behind the scenes" story of Nosferatu and has some great moments.

And while not necessarily an indie film, Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation is often overlooked/forgotten by many but is probably one of my all time favorite films. Nominated for best picture the same year Coppola did the Godfather Part II and definitely worth a watch.

I really enjoyed City of God and Let the Right One In those two are must see (and quite possible on netflix Instant). Tampopo is a japanese film that is awesome but a little hard to find (and not even remotely close to The Departed). Amelie and Entre Nous are two french films that I thought were great. Amelie is more of the happy go lucky kind of film and Entre Nous take place in post WWII France.

While I'm not generally a big fan of vampire stories in my haunted cinema course we watched several and Nadja and Shadow of the Vampire were two that really stood out. Shadow of the Vampire is great because it takes the idea of what if movies that we accept as fiction were really a "documentary". Its the "behind the scenes" story of Nosferatu and has some great moments.

And while not necessarily an indie film, Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation is often overlooked/forgotten by many but is probably one of my all time favorite films. Nominated for best picture the same year Coppola did the Godfather Part II and definitely worth a watch.

Thanks man. I've seen The Conversation and didn't love it. I probably need to see it again. I've seen SOTV. That's with Defoe, right? I just added Let the Right One In, Terribly Happy and another whose name escapes me.

Just signed up for NF. $8.99/month is cheap. How does it work though? I only get one at a time and as soon as I return it, the next one will come? How many can I put in queue? Right now, I have:

1) Infernal Affairs
2) City of God
3-6) Dexter Season One (even though from what I've seen I think it's just okay)
7-9) Breaking Bad Season One
10) 51 Birch Street
11) Cinema Paradiso
12) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
13) Rashomon

You can also watch movies instantly, streamed through any number of devices including a PS3, xbox360, computer, some TV's.

Look up some Korean Films --> I'd recommend Oldboy first and foremost considering it's a crime drama.

other great Korean Movies that I've seen:

Thirst
Shiri
Joint Security Area (JSA)
Memories of a Murder
The Host
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Tae Guk Gi
The Good, The Bad, and the Weird

If you'd like more suggestions I can provide them for you :)

I just added a couple more. Larry Sanders Show Season One...anyone know if the other seasons are available for viewing or purchase anywhere? I also added the British mini-series State of Play which I heard amazing things about.