What's new

Greg Miller > Ryan Smith

Hottest of all takes. Remember, it was KOC and Greg that presided over 3 years of inaction, 3 years of the identical playoff results of being bumped by LAL but in successively less games... no roster changes... total passivity that brought back the exactly the same roster, only to have this culminate in the Jerry vs. DWill false dichotomy. And those two assholes were more than happy to let Jerry and Deron take the blame, too.

It was Gail, but that's starting to look correct. I have no idea why Ainge was brought in mid-season. Give JZ the edict and he can make an in-season trade too. Plus, Ainge was already a "consultant".

The early returns were mostly promising, but also looked like he could become too involved in making his own team. Now they owe a lightly protected pick to OKC just to dump Favors in a couple of years. Meanwhile, a couple of times a year it feels like the core needs to be blown up sooner than later.

I don't want to have to wait until 2024 to trade Rudy or Donovan. I don't want to be in the middle of rebuild if we send out an unprotected pick for a high-level role player.

It was Gail, but that's starting to look correct. I have no idea why Ainge was brought in mid-season. Give JZ the edict and he can make an in-season trade too. Plus, Ainge was already a "consultant".

The early returns were mostly promising, but also looked like he could become too involved in making his own team. Now they owe a lightly protected pick to OKC just to dump Favors in a couple of years. Meanwhile, a couple of times a year it feels like the core needs to be blown up sooner than later.

I don't want to have to wait until 2024 to trade Rudy or Donovan. I don't want to be in the middle of rebuild if we send out an unprotected pick for a high-level role player.
Gail was solid. Greggy was clearly running **** for a while and Gail stepped in. Under Greg we made money by hanging out at the salary floor for multiple years… then he would pull the cash off for cars and motor sports stuff. Gail stepped in and did the trust thing to stop that… I think.

I will wait to declare a winner between Ryan and Greg. I think Ryan is smart enough to step aside… some new owners figure it out… then some owners are like Vivek and it gets worse.

Not a fan of Greg but loved Gail and wish she was still in charge. I think the reason DL was booted was much more about his relationship with Smith then with QS. During an away game a few weeks ago they showed Smith sitting in the middle of Ainge and JZ in the stands. Pretty rare even with active owners to see that. Smith has made it clear that he is the basketball decision maker. Never works when owners think they know more then those they hire. Hope he gets out of the way at some point but I dont see it happening.

I said this in another thread, but right now Ryan is behaving as a fan that suddenly had the power to make the decisions we always think we can make better than the pros running the franchise. I think he will get past this and start putting good folks in place and letting them do what they do, but right now it is a bit rough as he learns that armchair coaching and pick-up ball every Saturday with the elder's quorum doesn't really equate to understanding of pro ball and franchise management dynamics.

Not a fan of Greg but loved Gail and wish she was still in charge. I think the reason DL was booted was much more about his relationship with Smith then with QS. During an away game a few weeks ago they showed Smith sitting in the middle of Ainge and JZ in the stands. Pretty rare even with active owners to see that. Smith has made it clear that he is the basketball decision maker. Never works when owners think they know more then those they hire. Hope he gets out of the way at some point but I dont see it happening.
Just wait until I own the team.

It's like you guys have completely ignored the signs.

Don and Rudy have been "making it work" since probably before the covid issue. They just don't seem to get along. Through Covid through media outbursts through two very difficult playoff series losses. Lots of struggles to endure then you get to this rough stretch of games and one of the team leaders just railroads his teammates in public. These guys tried, but it's time to move on from that partnership.

I think this strain has been seen for a while, and Ainge was brought in to make the hard calls because he doesn't care about the backlash.

Gail was solid. Greggy was clearly running **** for a while and Gail stepped in. Under Greg we made money by hanging out at the salary floor for multiple years… then he would pull the cash off for cars and motor sports stuff. Gail stepped in and did the trust thing to stop that… I think.

I will wait to declare a winner between Ryan and Greg. I think Ryan is smart enough to step aside… some new owners figure it out… then some owners are like Vivek and it gets worse.

The only thing Greg knew how to do was step aside. I met him once, and you could easily tell that this man could not care less about basketball. Didn't seem to care about business either.

The superfan owner is a neat story, but not a recipe for success. He's surrounding himself with his friend's (Ainge) and people who he thinks are cool (Wade). While each may have their merits on their own, the process of picking people, desire to be involved, and cheapness (let's be real about the moves we've made) are not what you'd want from an owner of your favorite sports team.

The only thing Greg knew how to do was step aside. I met him once, and you could easily tell that this man could not care less about basketball. Didn't seem to care about business either.

The superfan owner is a neat story, but not a recipe for success. He's surrounding himself with his friend's (Ainge) and people who he thinks are cool (Wade). While each may have their merits on their own, the process of picking people, desire to be involved, and cheapness (let's be real about the moves we've made) are not what you'd want from an owner of your favorite sports team.
I think Cuban is a solid fan boy owner that started with some iffy stuff. I think it could work out okay. I'd rather have that then Greg who was indifferent and likely would have run us into complete irrelevance while cashing checks Donald Sterling style.

I wouldn't say Ryan has been cheap overall... I think he's been cheap in weird ways. Its the waffling back and forth that is confusing. Dump Favs for money reasons... then sign Gay... then dump Oni. The Tucker thing last year was so weird to us cap nerds... the hell was that. Also I am convinced we moved back from a first to two seconds this year to save a $1M on a rookie deal... that is fine but now you have a promising young player on a 2 year deal which really limits his value. How much better of a trade chip/asset if JB is on a 4 year deal with options throughout?

I hate that I think he talked Ainge into coming into a "full time shot caller position with part time hours". Especially when JZ had shown some chops. Side note - JZ is totally leaving us the first chance he gets and I'm pissed about it already. Everything seems to be pandering to Donovan and that only ends in disaster imo. If you are doing it because you know he kinda wants to leave that isn't a great plan.