What's new

Guess which advanced statline belong to Dante...

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Guess which advanced statline belongs to Dante...

Player 1
RPM: -1.9
WAR: 0.9

Player 2
RPM: -0.74
WAR: 1.22

Player 3
RPM: -0.1
WAR: 2.2

Player 4
RPM: -1.5
WAR: 1.4

BTW the other three stat-lines belong to the last 3 PGs picked No.1 in the NBA Draft in their rookie seasons - Derrick Rose, John Wall and Kyrie Irving...

Last edited:
Can I play?

Derrick Rose rookie stats:
37 MPG 16.8 PPG 6.3 APG 3.9 RPG

John Wall rookie stats:
37.8 MPG 16.4 PPG 8.3 APG 4.6 RPG

Kyrie Irving rookie stats:
30.5 MPG 18.5 PPG 5.4 APG 3.7 RPG

Dante Exum rookie stats:
20.7 MPG 4.7 PPG 2.3 APG 1.6 RPG

But yea, use that WAR and RPM! Exum is clearly as good or better than these guys.

Nope, those specific ones don't show how good he is, but show what effect he has on his team. In general what seems to be happening and the reason those specific stats seem so good is because he's doing well in defense and in offense even though he's inefficient, he does so little(i.e. uses very few possessions) that it doesn't affect the team too negatively as a whole.

Can I play?

Derrick Rose rookie stats:
37 MPG 16.8 PPG 6.3 APG 3.9 RPG

John Wall rookie stats:
37.8 MPG 16.4 PPG 8.3 APG 4.6 RPG

Kyrie Irving rookie stats:
30.5 MPG 18.5 PPG 5.4 APG 3.7 RPG

Dante Exum rookie stats:
20.7 MPG 4.7 PPG 2.3 APG 1.6 RPG

But yea, use that WAR and RPM! Exum is clearly as good or better than these guys.

Selectively pulling a small subset of advanced statistics is exactly what Exum's biggest detractors on this board have been doing to try to argue that he's a bust, completely disregarding the fact that comparing an Australian high school level player with Americans from high ranking collegiate environments is ridiculous.

If they can do it, stitches can do it.

Exum is obviously a very bright basketball player. He's out there devoting himself entirely to defense because he knows that's how he can best contribute to winning right now. I don't get the impression he's scared or timid. It's more like he's self aware. There are better offensive players on the court with him, so let them use the possessions.

Yeah it would have been cool if Exum had come in and imposed his will on offense. He has the potential to be such an exciting player that it's disappointing to watch him swing the ball and stand in the corner, but it's much better than watching him shoot us out of games.

We keep saying that if he had that alpha dog personality he'd be a better player. I'm not so sure. Would you rather have an irrationally confident player or a smart, self-aware player? The latter is obviously much more rare in the NBA. The fact that a player as young and inexperienced Exum has found a way to contribute to winning basketball in the best league in the world is a credit to his current approach to the game.

Whether it's a path to stardom is another question, but I believe he wants to get there and that he's bright enough to figure it out.