What's new

Gun Debate Twist

Most definitely!

But it's not just teaching safety, it's instilling a healthy dose of FEAR of guns - - or perhaps I should say a healthy dose of reality as to their dangers. We've had this discussion before and many of the gun enthusiasts are reluctant to do anything that they feel might "ruin" the experience for their kids. So while they do emphasize safety, it's all presented within a context of "this is fun, this is recreation, this is a good skill to learn"

Swimming is the same - those who are serious about water safety also emphasize how dangerous and unpredictable the swimming experience can be even as they teach the skills to do it safely and have fun. It's a delicate balance to do both.
Here is ironic-sarcastic video with english subs created by the Estonian Rescue Service stating that booze and swimming do not mix well. Ironically, the main actor was some month later driving while intoxicated.

Another one about drinking and swimming - does not have english subs, but i think the point is easy to understand.

Are there similar videos about gun safety?

OK, I'm going to make what may seem like a strange connection - - between water safety and gun safety. I think most of us can agree that it's important for children to learn to swim (or adults if they didn't learn as a child). But really, as important (or more important) is teaching basic water safety - which is not quite the same thing as teaching swimming. What should be a part of this is teaching a bit of a "healthy fear" of water. Yes, we want children to find swimming fun - but we also need to teach them to realize that it can be dangerous. Most children and young people drown not because they don't know how to swim. It's more because they are either overconfident in their abilities, or they are doing some dumb stuff that involves some additional risky behavior.

I think the gun situation is very similar. Kids should learn a fear of guns and the damage they can inflict before they ever have a chance to handle a gun. Kids should NEVER be allowed to think of a gun as a fun, recreational object. Most would say, of course that's not what I tell my kids at all - - but it's more important how you behave with the gun than what you say. If adults act very casually when handling firearms, that's the message the child is going to get - no matter what may be said about its dangers.

I agree with the sentiment and fundamentals behind what you’re saying, but I don’t think fear is correct. Substitute fear with respect and/or understanding. I view it the same as teaching/talking about sex and birth control. I don’t know how it’s dealt with in other states, but here in Utah, it’s basically a taboo topic in schools. If we can kick that ideology, we could do wonders. Same with guns.

I agree with the sentiment and fundamentals behind what you’re saying, but I don’t think fear is correct. Substitute fear with respect and/or understanding. I view it the same as teaching/talking about sex and birth control. I don’t know how it’s dealt with in other states, but here in Utah, it’s basically a taboo topic in schools. If we can kick that ideology, we could do wonders. Same with guns.

I think it is somewhat dependent on the age of the child - I'm thinking that with young children, it's much easier to instill a healthy "fear" of guns than to try to instill respect and understanding. As they get a little older - like 5 or 6 years old, you can start with some of the other lessons. But with a 3 or 4 year old, you shouldn't make it seem at all attractive.

Maybe I'm viewing it wrong - I've not grown up around the gun culture.

I think it is somewhat dependent on the age of the child - I'm thinking that with young children, it's much easier to instill a healthy "fear" of guns than to try to instill respect and understanding. As they get a little older - like 5 or 6 years old, you can start with some of the other lessons. But with a 3 or 4 year old, you shouldn't make it seem at all attractive.

Maybe I'm viewing it wrong - I've not grown up around the gun culture.

I think striking fear of an object into people always leaves the mystery and intrigue there. There will always be the curiosity. Proper teaching leads to understanding and respect.
I didn’t necessarily grow up in “the gun culture”. My dad owned some guns, but we didn’t just go shooting all that often. He owned a couple hunting rifles and a couple shotguns. He used them to hunt. About once a year he would take us to go shooting. He had a pellet/BB gun that we would take camping to find a spot and shoot at paper plates and stuff. Some of my earliest memories are of him teaching us about the guns. How to handle them properly and safely. How to make sure it was unloaded. How to clean them. Unless they were being used, they were always under lock and key. I didn’t know where the key was until I turned 18. I still vividly recall him shooting a 2x4 with a shotgun and showing me the damage it did. Then he said (and I remember it word for word) “if it did this much damage to a hard and solid piece of wood, how much damage will it do to a person?” I was probably around 8 at the oldest. It didn’t make me fear guns. It made me respect the power of them. It stressed the importance of safety.