What's new

Half Way Through the 16/17 Season Thoughts/Grades/Etc

Nate505

Modstapo Lite
Staff member
Since the Jazz just completed their 41st game last night, how is everyone feeling about the season so far?

I myself am close to being as impressed as i could be this season. The fact the Jazz are on a 50 win pace despite many key players missing significant games is an absolute testimony to Lindsey for getting this team depth, Snyder and the coaches for coaching it up, and the players and the chemistry they've developed in a pretty short time. I would give this team an A- for the season so far, and only because they've had a couple questionable losses (Miami and the Kings at home come to mind). On the plus side, they have wins against San Antonio (on the ****ing road...it's been an eternity since that's happened), Houston, and Cleveland.

Still, it's not like they have a great record against the top tier teams in the league. On the other hand, they are taking care of business more or less against the lesser teams, and I think people underrate how important that is. I remember thinking that the Minnesota win was extremely lucky and being irritated that they just won by two, but last night the Wolves ripped the Thunder. So hey, at least they got the win.

The defense has been off the charts impressive. The Jazz not only lead the league in points allowed, but also in points allowed per 100 possessions. Of course everyone knows they are elite defensively, but they are also in the top 10 in offensive efficiency (ie points per 100 possessions) as well. Whatever is working is working.

So I'm wondering if anyone still thinks the trade for Hill was a bad idea. Even if he bolts it was a wash to me, but the Jazz really made out well in that trade. I hope he stays, and from a career move he'd be foolish to leave to anyone but a San Antonio. Hayward has been great, and he'll be foolish to leave too. Though I get after a while the cap and financial considerations play a role. If he's not an All Star this year that term has little meaning. Same with Gobert to be honest, though the All Star teams tends to value offensive production above all. If Gobert isn't a first team all defense this year that's another massive sham. Hell, I can't think of an argument for DPOY over him.

Anyways, here's hoping for a great 2nd half. The scary thing is, the team is on a 50 win pace for the first half and now the team is finally ****ing healthy. It's been about 6 or 7 years since I've been this optimistic about the franchise.

raw

I'll just grade the roster as a whole:

Hill: A
Hayward: A
Gobert: A
Ingles: A
Mack: B
Hood: B-
Johnson: B-
Lyles: C+
Diaw: C
Exum: C
Neto: C
Favors: C- (he's clearly been unhealthy, but I can only judge from what I've seen on the floor and I haven't liked it)
Burks: INC
Bolomboy: INC
Withey: INC

Hill: A
Gobert: A
Ingles: A
Mack: C+
Hood: B-
Johnson: B
Lyles: B
Diaw: B
Exum: C+
Neto: B+
Favors: C
Burks:
Bolomboy:
Withey: B

Anybody who doesn't have the 1st 4 as a A isn't paying attention.
Mack I think he's worse running the offense this year than to end the season last year.
Lyles would be an A if he hadn't been struggling to shoot so much, but I like the way he has progressed.
Diaw, Johnson and Withey provided a lot of much needed depth when we were injured.
Favors simply isn't healthy. He has shown flashes of his old self, but can't grade on that. I expect this to go up.
Hood has been way to inconsistent, honestly would have rated lower but...game winner and a few other big games keep him in the B range.
I still have high hopes for Exum, but he just has not been consistently good. I think the knee is really screwing with him mentally. Hopefully that changes soon.

These grades are more against my expectations than who they are as a player. The guys with A have met or exceeded my expectations. Considered giving Withey an A because I expected nothing from him and he was decent when playing.

C seems like the perfect grade for Lyles. I've never seen such a boom or bust player in my life. Rarely does he just have an average game. Yet it averages out to average.

Just killing some of those total bust games (where instead of getting 0-2 points he can get 8 or so) from him would be huge and make him a potent piece off the bench.

I'll say I'm more excited about this team than I have since the S and M days. I don't think they are title contenders yet but I believe they have a shot if they can keep it mostly together.

I pretty much agree with what has been said above. We haven't had a real shot at top tier teams with a full healthy roster with the exception of Cleveland and we know how that turned out. I'm going to hold off judgement on Hill until we see if he can stay healthy. It was a huge acquisition if he can continue to stay on the floor. He is no doubt really good in the system but when he sits with injury for big blocks of games it really sets us back. Sure, they have all been unpreventable but I hope it ceases and we can gel now. If not, I don't really love our chances in the playoff's. He needs to be on the floor for us to be successful.

Grades based on what they've done compared to what I figured they would.

Gobert: A+
Hill: A+
Hood: B
Ingles: A+
Exum: C (although I like some of what I see)
Mack: B-
Diaw: B-
Lyles: C (flashes are great, but I hoped for more)

I've been happy with what Neto and Withey have done when given time, but it's not a lot. Burks and Bolomboy basically havn't played

I've been happy with what Neto and Withey have done when given time, but it's not a lot. Burks and Bolomboy basically havn't played

And A to the front office for building the league's deepest team (by a mile). Come playoffs, it doesn't matter much that your 15th guy would be 10th guy on the other team, but when we've had lots of people out, it matters. We've got the best scrubs in the league hands down. To think that Alec Burks still hasn't played...

The number one question for me (outside of staying healthy from now on) is whether or not Exum can take a step or two. If he does, we can have a really dangerous number 2 at PG (maybe not a killer offensively, but a shutdown defender you can never relax on, since he'll just take you off the dribble).

The big thing still missing is how to score in the playoffs against Cavs, Spurs, Warriors, etc when defence tightens up. We haven't showed that yet. I'm not sure that's where Gordon excels, and outside of George Hill, we don't have anyone else I trust in that situation. Except Rodney on a great day.

Hill: A (Perfect PG for our team and QS system, George Hill is the perfect mentor for Dante)

Hayward: A+ (Finally has help and now everyone can see he can do anything and everything on a basketball court, totally deserves an All-Star nod)

Gobert: A+ (I had Gobert as a potential DPOY but I did not see this offensive growth happening so quick and Im totally confident with him at the FT line. You deserve that money big fella, If given the choice I wouldn't swap Rudy for ANY big man in this league, huge part of our identity)

Ingles: A- (I think Ingles is tapping out his potential which is fantastic, but I still think he struggles against the leagues best teams)

Mack: D- (Feeling the pressure to keep his spot, rushing the offense, bad decisions, too many dribbles... typical Mack sh**)

Hood: C+ (I think he is focusing a lot more on his defense this year which is great, been more streaky than normal)

Johnson: B- (Great move getting this guy, his real value will be at the pointy end of the season. Would like to see him look to score more and
pass less ie; when he backs someone down in the post just look to score... not lob to rudy or kick out.

Lyles: C (No real development so far this season)

Diaw: C- (Meh, fails the eye test but seems to always come away with decent +/-)

Exum: C (Year is all about recovery and getting back to 100%)

Neto: C+ (Limited opportunities but the dude is ALWAYS ready to play, love his attitude and has grown into decent 3pt shooter)

Favors: D (I have no idea what to make of Favors this season but I think he is a key piece in playoffs against the GSW, Cavs, Houston etc. Can only hope he gets back to being D.Favs by then)

Burks: C (Love AB is back!!! I believe this team reaches its full potential when AB/Exum take over from Ingles/Mack. Although we probably need another year or 2 for Dante.

Bolomboy: ? (surprised he hasn't has a little more junk time mins)

Withey: C+ (Always ready and contributes, perfect backup to Rudy)

Quin Snyder: B+ (Few more techs please, these refs just kill us, even at home!! #Insnyderwetrust)
Organization: A+ (Thankyou for George Hill and JJ. Thankyou thankyou thankyou! Now to resign GH&GH.)
Medical staff: .... No comment (Would be nice not to be in the dark constantly though)

Team Overall: A (Hard to ask for much more with the injuries we have been dealt and I truly believe that with this team healthy we can beat ANYONE)

Hill: A (Perfect PG for our team and QS system, George Hill is the perfect mentor for Dante)

Hayward: A+ (Finally has help and now everyone can see he can do anything and everything on a basketball court, totally deserves an All-Star nod)

Gobert: A+ (I had Gobert as a potential DPOY but I did not see this offensive growth happening so quick and Im totally confident with him at the FT line. You deserve that money big fella, If given the choice I wouldn't swap Rudy for ANY big man in this league, huge part of our identity)

Ingles: A- (I think Ingles is tapping out his potential which is fantastic, but I still think he struggles against the leagues best teams)

Mack: D- (Feeling the pressure to keep his spot, rushing the offense, bad decisions, too many dribbles... typical Mack sh**)

Hood: C+ (I think he is focusing a lot more on his defense this year which is great, been more streaky than normal)

Johnson: B- (Great move getting this guy, his real value will be at the pointy end of the season. Would like to see him look to score more and
pass less ie; when he backs someone down in the post just look to score... not lob to rudy or kick out.

Lyles: C (No real development so far this season)

Diaw: C- (Meh, fails the eye test but seems to always come away with decent +/-)

Exum: C (Year is all about recovery and getting back to 100%)

Neto: C+ (Limited opportunities but the dude is ALWAYS ready to play, love his attitude and has grown into decent 3pt shooter)

Favors: D (I have no idea what to make of Favors this season but I think he is a key piece in playoffs against the GSW, Cavs, Houston etc. Can only hope he gets back to being D.Favs by then)

Burks: C (Love AB is back!!! I believe this team reaches its full potential when AB/Exum take over from Ingles/Mack. Although we probably need another year or 2 for Dante.

Bolomboy: ? (surprised he hasn't has a little more junk time mins)

Withey: C+ (Always ready and contributes, perfect backup to Rudy)

Quin Snyder: B+ (Few more techs please, these refs just kill us, even at home!! #Insnyderwetrust)
Organization: A+ (Thankyou for George Hill and JJ. Thankyou thankyou thankyou! Now to resign GH&GH.)
Medical staff: .... No comment (Would be nice not to be in the dark constantly though)

Team Overall: A (Hard to ask for much more with the injuries we have been dealt and I truly believe that with this team healthy we can beat ANYONE)
Good post.
I'm going to follow your lead and do my grades in a similar fashion later.

I think my grades are going to look more harsh than most but oh well, here goes.

Hill: (B+) Injuries knock the grade down a bit and he has come a little down to earth after games like last night. Still a fantastic borderline all star quality starting point guard and besides Gobert I believe he is the main catalyst on this team

Hayward: (A+) All i have wanted from hayward is better efficiency on his shooting... He is shooting his highest % from the line of his career, 2nd highest field goal percentage of his career (his rookie year in limited minutes is the only better year), and 3rd highest 3 point percentage of his career (again his rookie year was his highest and his 3rd year was 2nd) and 2nd highest EFG percentage (again, his rookie year). Rebounds, assists and points per game are all career highs (on less minutes per game than a couple of his previous years) Playing like an all star max money mo fo.

Gobert: (A+) We have our big three and this guy is the biggest literally and figurately of the three. Rudy is having a career year in field goal percentage, free throw percentage, EFG percentage, rebounds per game, blocks per game, and points per game. He has learned how to stay out of foul trouble. Turnovers are down from last year despite playing more minutes. Worked on his game in the offseason and is showing big time from the line, his hands, and his all around offensive game. He is the anchor to the best defense in the league. His intangibles are off the charts. Great teammate and signed the extension to stay in utah. I believe he is a franchise player and his jersey will be in the rafters someday (#20 might be there too). Cant say enough about the Stifle Tower. Keep eating them souls.

Ingles: (B) I know many will think he deserves more than that and i undestand why but i think he has become a little overrated. Still, i love the guy (how can you not?) His 3 point shooting is elite but i think he needs to pull the trigger more. His defense is solid, passing is solid, i wish he would rebound a bit more though. Best personality on the team and great glue guy. Underrated as an enforcer type as he is tough and dont take no ****. Probably going to be too expensive going forward unfortunately.

Mack: (C) I think he got a little overrated as well but he held down the fort admirably in the absence of an actual starting point guard.

Hood: (C) I feel like he has been worse this year than last. His field goal percentage, 3 point percentage, points per game, assists per game and minutes are all down this year vs last. Still a major threat from deep and gets hot at times but too inconsistent. (I think cy is right about him not being the same since the hammy injury) and now he goes down with another injury. Slightly disappointing year from him so far. Still think he is a keeper though and has the best looking shot in the league.

Johnson: (C) I dont have much of right up about him. Seems to have a great attitude and is ok with whatever role/minutes he gets. I think he will/is paying dividends with his experience and will be valuable in our playoff run.

Lyles: (C-) Pretty disappointed in his season so far. His field goal percentage and 3 point percentage are both down from last year (trey burke like numbers tbh) and his defense is subpar. He has played poorly enough that boris freaking diaw has to play more than he should have to. Lyles needs to get going and step up his play. I think he will. Still believe in him and think he is a keeper.

Diaw: (D-) I think he is pretty much done and lyles needs to play better so that diaw never has to come off the bench. His experience and coaching ability probably helps doe.

Exum: (D-) When you are getting dnpcd's and mack and neto are taking your minutes and many fans want you in the d-league..... after being a #5 pick from a tank season and being hyped as a future star, things aren't going well.

Neto: (C) Nothing to really say here. He tries hard and has good handles.

Favors: (C+) He is starting to get back to where he was last year.... which is pretty damn good but the injuries knock his grade down. He is going to be really good going forward this year imo and will have a huge impact come playoff time.

Burks: (Incomplete) Too many missed games. Another player who i predict becomes extremely key to our success the rest of the year. So happy he is back. Not sure anyone on the team likes playing basketball more than the slick pimp alec burks. So fun to watch him play.

Bolomboy: (Inconclusive) Not enough pt to grade.

Withey: (B) I really like this guy. Think he should take all of diaws minutes.

Quin snyder: (A) Top 5 in the west despite being #1 in injuries. Team is only looking better now. Winning lots of close games and i dont think he gets enough credit for that.

Organization: (A) Love the team we have. Love the new court and new jerseys. Love the work being done to the arena. Lots of assets now and in the future. Masterful rebuild.

Team overall: (A) My favorite year in long long time. Well worth the wait of the rebuild. Just took a little patience from us fans and now we get to eat the cake/soup or whatever.

Last edited:
Hill, Hayward, Gobert: A

Hood: B (He's helped win a lot of games. He's inconsistent which is what I expected going into the season)

Johnson: C (Seems to turn the ball over a lot and makes a lot of lazy passes. I'm sure he'll clean it up later)

Lyles: B- (He's 21 in his second year I expect him to be inconsistent and limited defensively. He's been a nice spark at times.)

Favors: I had high expectation going into the season but given the injuries I wasn't sure what to expect from him therefore I can't grade him at this point.

Exum: C (He's young I expect him to be better by the end of year with that said he's been struggling with nearly every facet of the game up to this point)

Ingles: A (Pimp status what else is there to say)

Mack: B- (3rd string pg playing starter minutes expectations weren't very high I docked him some points due to the turnovers)

Diaw: C+ (I expected him to be more of a threat from 3)

Quin: A (He's helped turn this team into a number 1 defense our record is good given all of the injuries he deserves credit for that)

Medical Staff: D- (Good effort on the ankle wrap otherwise horrible job)

Cheer team: D- (The black girl with short hair prevents them from being an F she brings her A game every game)

Dj Doofus: B (He gets the people going with his mixes not sure he helps much with the street cred)

Pretty much agree with these grades. Favors' C comes with the understanding he's playing his way back. Over the past 7 games, he's played much better. And much stronger. But with Rudy's emergence, he's not going to get as many touches.

Biggest positive surprise, IMO: Ingles.
Biggest disappointment: Johnson. Thought he'd have more of an impact. I'd put Exum here, but didn't expect much to begin with.

I'm not grading players individually but instead how the team functions in different aspects:

OFFENSE:
Scoring in the Paint: B
Midrange: B
3-Pointers: A
Passing: B
Free Throws: C
Offensive Rebounding: C
Offensive Consistency (game to game): B-

DEFENSE:
at the Rim: A
3 point line: A
Steals/Blocks: A
Defensive Rebounding: B+
Defensive Consistency (game to game): A

OTHER:
Staying out of Foul Trouble: A
Turnovers: D
Maintaining big leads: D
Overall play on Road vs bad teams: A
Overall play on Road vs Playoff teams: D-
Overall play at Home vs bad teams: B
Overall play at Home vs Playoff teams: C+

I'm not grading players individually but instead how the team functions in different aspects:

OFFENSE:
Scoring in the Paint: B
3-Pointers: A
Passing: B
Free Throws: C
Offensive Rebounding: C
Offensive Consistency (game to game): B-

DEFENSE:
at the Rim: A
3 point line: A
Steals/Blocks: A
Defensive Rebounding: B+
Defensive Consistency (game to game): A

OTHER:
Staying out of Foul Trouble: A
Turnovers: D
Maintaining big leads: D
Overall play on Road vs bad teams: A
Overall play on Road vs Playoff teams: D-
Overall play at Home vs bad teams: B
Overall play at Home vs Playoff teams: C+
D- on the road against playoff teams with a win in San Antonio?