What's new

Hardy already making bad decisions?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Did Hardy get caught up in the 82-0 talk? For the life of me I can't understand Conley's minutes last night. To what end? He had 27 min while Sexton had 15. Granted, Conley played hard and was 3-6 FG, 7 AST, 3 STL, 2 BLK but it was a third game in four nights road game with late travel and we have another game tomorrow. And giving Markkanen 31 minutes when he was spent from the two OT games/travel/back-to-back. All this in the first week of the season. The fact that Ponte Vecchio came in and delivered was a sign to play the fresh legs but still DNP's for Agbaji and Bolmaro.

Yeah that was a bit of a headscratcher for me too. Conley's legs might be gone by the ASG if he's playing so many minutes on the 2nd games of back to backs. Don't understand why Hardy didn't give a few more minutes to Sexton or even Bolmaro. Why have some of these guys on the roster if they're not going to play when they have 3 games in 4 nights. The Agbaji thing is frustrating but he's more of a shooter/finisher and they just have too many of those types on the roster.

Maybe they want to showcase some of the vets but that game last night was really not the time to do it.

Hardy might've asked Conley how he feels about playing and Conley saying "I'm fine, I want to play." Also, it was a tight game, and had we won it, Hardy's decision to play him probably wouldn't come up. I'm expecting Sexton to get more minutes as the season progresses.

Playing time and minutes for Conley arent just on Hardy, it's an organizational decision. Also Collin Sexton is the definition of mediocrity so I understand why he isn't psyched to give him big minutes yet

The real thing Hardy ****ed up on was not calling timeouts. For some reason we wasted like 13 seconds on the clock down 3 instead of calling a TO to advance the ball when we had two timeouts left. Granted JC did get an open look, but it took a lot of the clock to do so when we could have drawn up a quick two layup at the rim from a timeout and extended the game.

Playing time and minutes for Conley arent just on Hardy, it's an organizational decision. Also Collin Sexton is the definition of mediocrity so I understand why he isn't psyched to give him big minutes yet

The real thing Hardy ****ed up on was not calling timeouts. For some reason we wasted like 13 seconds on the clock down 3 instead of calling a TO to advance the ball when we had two timeouts left. Granted JC did get an open look, but it took a lot of the clock to do so when we could have drawn up a quick two layup at the rim from a timeout and extended the game.
See this is where I disagree with you on Sexton.

I think he is being "reprogrammed" by Conley, Hardy and the organization at this point. There was a play in the 3rd quarter where he could've gone up for a layup and then saw THT ( I think it was him) in the corner for an open 3. I can see little glimpses every game where his court vision is improving. They obviously want him to be a more complete player than just the scorer he was in Cleveland. He's another one like THT that hasn't gotten good coaching during his NBA career. Both these kids are super young and are going to make mistakes.

Worst case Sexton ends up as a microwave 6th man scorer but it seems the Jazz are trying to get more out of him. Sexton's dad told Locke last week that this was the first time Collin has been really coached in the NBA and Conley was being a great mentor for him.

See I disagree with you on Sexton.

I think he is being "reprogrammed" by Conley, Hardy and the organization at this point. There was a play in the 3rd quarter where he could've gone up for a layup and then saw THT ( I think it was him) in the corner for an open 3. I can see little glimpses every game where his court vision is improving. They obviously want him to be a more complete player than just the scorer he was in Cleveland. He's another one like THT that hasn't gotten good coaching during his NBA career.
I'm not sure passing up an open layup for a THT 3 is the example you want to use for showing that he has improved as a decision maker...

I'm not sure passing up an open layup for a THT 3 is the example you want to use for showing that he has improved as a decision maker...
Hey it worked out. There was a big on Sexton under the basket. THT needs to hit an open 3 when there is noone with 10' of him.
I expect a ton of mistakes from these kids but it's going to be great longterm for the Jazz if they develop a few of them.

Maybe....Conley's playing time and numbers go up through December when he gets a nagging but not serious injury which causes him to sit out until just before the trade deadline.

He has fresh legs when he is shipped off to destinations unknown .

Did Hardy get caught up in the 82-0 talk? For the life of me I can't understand Conley's minutes last night. To what end? He had 27 min while Sexton had 15. Granted, Conley played hard and was 3-6 FG, 7 AST, 3 STL, 2 BLK but it was a third game in four nights road game with late travel and we have another game tomorrow. And giving Markkanen 31 minutes when he was spent from the two OT games/travel/back-to-back. All this in the first week of the season. The fact that Ponte Vecchio came in and delivered was a sign to play the fresh legs but still DNP's for Agbaji and Bolmaro.

This is the way of the stealth rank. Run them into the ground, get them injured, pile up losses, draft Vic

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

The thing about both THT and Sexton is they were super young when drafted. They may have been the youngest in their draft classes 18/19 years old.. Both got drafted into bad situations with Cleveland who had just lost Lebron entering a tank and the Lakers who had acquired Lebron and needed 'win now' players. I think there is quite a bit of untapped potential in them both but we shall see..

See this is where I disagree with you on Sexton.

I think he is being "reprogrammed" by Conley, Hardy and the organization at this point. There was a play in the 3rd quarter where he could've gone up for a layup and then saw THT ( I think it was him) in the corner for an open 3. I can see little glimpses every game where his court vision is improving. They obviously want him to be a more complete player than just the scorer he was in Cleveland. He's another one like THT that hasn't gotten good coaching during his NBA career. Both these kids are super young and are going to make mistakes.

Worst case Sexton ends up as a microwave 6th man scorer but it seems the Jazz are trying to get more out of him. Sexton's dad told Locke last week that this was the first time Collin has been really coached in the NBA and Conley was being a great mentor for him.
This is how I see it, too. The coaches (and Conley) are trying to "reprogram" him - teach him how to be a playmaker. And we've seen it already that he sometimes looks to pass in situations where he didn't pay attention to playmaking before. It is a new skill for him to learn. He's young and willing to listen. I'm pretty sure he'll get better at it. How much better, time will tell.

Said this before, but the Jazz only have a few guys who consistently move the ball, and Will Hardy's offense is based on moving the ball. Sexton isn't one of those guys. The ball movers are Conley, Olynyk and NAW, and Conley is far and away the best one. When Conley is out of the game, the Jazz have been relying on Clarkson and THT to be lead ball handlers, with mixed results. Clarkson has had some high-assist games, but it's mostly dumping the ball off on his drives. He's not creating ball movement.

Sexton has shown a bit of ability to attack certain matchups, but hasn't been reliable. He also averages 2 assists per game so far, same as Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
So many of these responses assume a tank mentality, I.,e., that Hardy’s primary responsibility should be to develop players and even at the expense of losing games. Hardy’s job is to develop players sure in practice and in game situations where possible but his primary concern is to try to win basketball games by any means possible. If management decides to pull the rug that’s their prerogative (as long as they don’t get caught) but that doesn’t change the focus on winning that our coach should employ.

I didn’t see last nights game but based on the first three with three upset wins including challenges, substitutions and overall team rapport, i think the general consensus Is that he’s been knocking it out of the park!

So many of these responses assume a tank mentality, I.,e., that Hardy’s primary responsibility should be to develop players and even at the expense of losing games. Hardy’s job is to develop players sure in practice and in game situations where possible but his primary concern is to try to win basketball games by any means possible. If management decides to pull the rug that’s their prerogative (as long as they don’t get caught) but that doesn’t change the focus on winning that our coach should employ.

I didn’t see last nights game but based on the first three with three upset wins including challenges, substitutions and overall team rapport, i think the general consensus Is that he’s been knocking it out of the park!
Thing is that he might be able to win games AND play the right guys both at the same time.
Is rudy gay going to help us win a bunch more games than Simone F? I dont think so. Simone looked fantastic last night.

Thing is that he might be able to win games AND play the right guys both at the same time.
Is rudy gay going to help us win a bunch more games than Simone F? I dont think so. Simone looked fantastic last night.
I know he fell off a bit last night but Gay has been outstanding this year from what I’ve seen. You know I didn’t see last nights game and I heard that Simone went off offensively. However, he also had four fouls in 15 minutes. Nothing I’ve seen from him so far has suggested that he possesses the requisite athleticism to cover NBA players….and trust me, I’d love nothing more than to be proved wrong on this. And beyond that, I’m not sure he has the size and know how to beat out Gay. We’ll see I guess.

So far as a coach I like his style of play but I'm definitely concerned by his unwillingness to play some of the younger players. There should only be one goal this year and that is to give these young players an opportunity to show what they can do. If at the end of the year we have 4 or 5 guys that look like future pieces then this season is a huge success in my book.