What's new

Has anyone moved to get away from the inversion/air in SLC?

We are visiting family in Ogden right now for the holidays and the air quality is causing some real problems. My daughter's asthma is the worst it has been in months, and we all have been trying to get over colds that just seemed to get way way worse when we got here. I grew up in this area but have rarely seen the air this bad.

I think we should all call the Division of Air Quality and ask why they are not enforcing the no burning rules and allow industry to break the law. 801-536-4000

Or why our state is considering a Holly Refinery expansion despite it already being unable to comply with EPA standards?

If LA can somehow manage pollution then what's our excuse? Or yeah, that's right, our AG and government is in her with big industry.

We are visiting family in Ogden right now for the holidays and the air quality is causing some real problems. My daughter's asthma is the worst it has been in months, and we all have been trying to get over colds that just seemed to get way way worse when we got here. I grew up in this area but have rarely seen the air this bad.

This ain't nothing.

You should have been here last year in Jan-Feb. You couldn't even see the mountains the smog was so bad. And I'm being dead serious. You could stand at Rice-Eccles stadium and still not even see the mtns. It was like a San Francisco fog had taken over... Except it wasn't fog, but nasty smog. Stick around for a few more week LG, and you'll see the **** really hit the fan.

I didn't start to feel the effects of this inversion crap until 2009. My family doesn't have any history of allergies (heart disease is another issue). However, in 2009 I became sick towards the end of finals week. It was originally just a sore throat and cold. Something you'd normally be over in a week. Not so....

Around Christmas my throat became so sore and my cough so bad that just going outside during the inversion felt like a knife was slicing into my neck.
Around New Years I nearly fell down the stairs because I couldn't breath. I went to the Dr. and they said that many people were having respatory issues due to the inversion. If one became sick it would be amplified because of the crappy air. My lungs were operating at like 30 percent capacity. I was put on some serious antibiotics and steroids. I was told that if my conditions didn't improve they'd rush me to the hospital. I couldn't go outside either.

Well... 5 doctor visits later and finally March (when the inversions finally went away) I began to feel better. My pneumonia like symptoms went away and I could finally begin to breath again.

Last year, nearly the same thing happened. Except, no "illness." In Jan-Feb, when the inversion reached its peak, I coughed, had a sore throat, and had fatigue.

This year, same thing. I went away to Arizona last week and didn't cough once. Energy back up. No sore throat. I got back and within 2 days sore throat, cough, and fatigue are back.

Literally, every single time we get bad inversions like these, the exact same symptoms come back. Fatigue, sore throat, and cough. It's too much of a coincidence to ignore the correlation. Dec-Feb, when the inversion is at its worst, I'm "sick."

I've heard of several businesses last year deciding against moving their operations to SLC because of the inversion. I know that I'm getting the hell out asap because of my own health concerns. It just flat out isn't healthy. I don't care whether you believe in global warming or fear a few cents added to your energy bill... To me, what is more important? Your health or those other concerns?

the problem is, in this state, industry is worshiped while regulation and the EPA is demonized. If you don't like it here then go move to a liberal expensive state like Oregon. The only way to actually make a dent in Utah's pollution is to accuse some of the big industries that they're gay. Or supporting gay marriage. Then, you might get the state to do something. Until then, enjoy the inversion. Big Industry is in bed with our government. And they really don't want to stop polluting big time.

Last edited:
See, that's my concern.

I've always had relatively bad lungs - had pneumonia twice, even had a PE back in '09 that put me in the hospital for a week, though that wasn't caused by bad air - but I've also noticed that in the last 3-4 years it's gotten worse.

The thing that bothers me is that according to the AQI and the EPA, we've actually seen an improvement in air quality over the last 4 years. But for me it's getting worse.

I am moving to Park City. I've reached the breaking piont. Like... soon. I can afford it (apologies, Gameface), so why shouldn't I?

And maybe not even Park City proper, but quite possibly somewhere in the Snyderville Basin, or Jeremy Ranch, or even going as far as Wanship, Hoytsville, Coalville.

Anybody live there?

And so it begins!

The mtns are hardly visible anymore. If no storm comes to clear the guck out then by mid week I guarantee you it will be painful just to walk outside. Eyes and throats will burn and coughing will begin.

See, that's my concern.

I've always had relatively bad lungs - had pneumonia twice, even had a PE back in '09 that put me in the hospital for a week, though that wasn't caused by bad air - but I've also noticed that in the last 3-4 years it's gotten worse.

The thing that bothers me is that according to the AQI and the EPA, we've actually seen an improvement in air quality over the last 4 years. But for me it's getting worse.

I am moving to Park City. I've reached the breaking piont. Like... soon. I can afford it (apologies, Gameface), so why shouldn't I?

And maybe not even Park City proper, but quite possibly somewhere in the Snyderville Basin, or Jeremy Ranch, or even going as far as Wanship, Hoytsville, Coalville.

Anybody live there?

I'd go Midway/Heber if I were choosing in that general area.

For like two months.

So say hello to Danny MacArthur for me, willya? At the next city council meeting.

I moved from St. George to Salt Lake because way back then there was nothing to do with your brain in St. George.

Once I was going to settle in Manila and help bring the Philippines online as a world leader, but decided Salt Lake held more promise. . . . . lol.

I have since settled on a true backwater/backwoods/desert rat camp that isn't going to get developed inside a hundred years. . . . .

So say hello to Danny MacArthur for me, willya? At the next city council meeting.

I moved from St. George to Salt Lake because way back then there was nothing to do with your brain in St. George.

Once I was going to settle in Manila and help bring the Philippines online as a world leader, but decided Salt Lake held more promise. . . . . lol.

I have since settled on a true backwater/backwoods/desert rat camp that isn't going to get developed inside a hundred years. . . . .
Sounds perfect. Although I must admit I would prefer to have reasonable access to restaurants.

See, that's my concern.

Anybody live there?

I love the Pinebrook and Jeremy Ranch area. We spent a whole summer hunting for houses there. Probably saw over 30 properties...Would've moved there if we didn't find our current house in SLC...Knowing where you work (unless you switched), you'd have a quick commute...They plow I-80 very well

Last edited: