What's new

Hayward - Any theories why he lost his shot this year ?

ijazz

Frustrating watching him.

All other aspects of his game, defense, assists, rebounding, overall smarts and awareness are great.

Dude can't hit the ocean this year.

Don't get it.

I'm rooting for him but watching him is like a roller coaster.

Hornacek leaving ?

Frustrating watching him.

All other aspects of his game, defense, assists, rebounding, overall smarts and awareness are great.

Dude can't hit the ocean this year.

Don't get it.

I'm rooting for him but watching him is like a roller coaster.

Hornacek leaving ?

queue up GH apologists -- 1. he was asked to carry too much of da load (lode). 2. he is a runner and da jazz don't run 3. he is jus a slow starter and he will come around 4. quit picking on GH he is a god!! the truth is that he is not the player his fans believe him to be. he is a good roll player and that is it.

Hayward has always had inconsistent mechanics but one thing I've definitely noticed is his release point seems to be a little earlier. This is something feel shooters do to create more arc in order to make the rim "wider". The problem with this is it sometimes causes the ball to sail - especially on catch and shoots where your feet/shoulders are not 100% squared up.

Easier said that done but Hayward needs to shoot either layups or set threes. No more 22 foot jumpers running off screens. He just doesn't have the innate skill for that kind of shooting.

I honestly think it has a little to do with it being a contract year and him trying to prove himself. So in turn is over playing. But then again, this isn't the first year his shot has been off.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

He'll start hitting em later this year. Pretty sure we've seen this trend every season thus far.

The loss of that awesome Phx Suns coach is deep and far reaching.

It's okay, we have for Corbin, and he loves his team.

I heard a radio interview last year with the current Phx Suns coach. He said that Gordon had a bad habit of leaning into his shot and that he naturally released too high above his head. He said that he has working with him on going straight up on his shot and releasing the ball closer to his head. Last year, it seemed like Gordon was following Horny's advice. This year, it looks like he has a different release point every time he shoots it. A shooter will never be consistent that way.

But, but... Gordon Hayward thinks hes some basketball Gawd that is owed millions and millions of dollars for his spectacticle talent.

Hayward has always had inconsistent mechanics but one thing I've definitely noticed is his release point seems to be a little earlier. This is something feel shooters do to create more arc in order to make the rim "wider". The problem with this is it sometimes causes the ball to sail - especially on catch and shoots where your feet/shoulders are not 100% squared up.

Easier said that done but Hayward needs to shoot either layups or set threes. No more 22 foot jumpers running off screens. He just doesn't have the innate skill for that kind of shooting.

I have no problems with Hayward developing his mid-range game this season. It sucks, it's inefficient, it's tank. He has improved though, so it's two birds with one stone.

GH wants to resign with Utah but he knows there is a limit to what we will pay - he is shooting poorly to keep his value down.

This is exactly why I can't understand how some posters believe Hayward is an "elite" level shooter (like a Kyle Korver). When you watch pure shooters like Korver or Ray Allen shoot the ball, their mechanics are flawless and every shot they take has the exact same mechanics/form/release point. It is truly a beautiful thing to watch. Pure shooters also rarely every miss shots badly...when Korver was here, most of his misses were in the "rattling in-and-out" variety. Watching Hayward...his misses are all over the place...hitting the side of the rim, the back heel, airball, side of the backboard...it's painful to watch.

This is just a thought. Right now Hayward is #3 on the list of most miles run during games. He had run over 80 miles in the 31 games he had played when the list came out. Some of it might be due to the fact that to start the year he never got any rest. Peoples shots get sloppy when they are tired and don't have there legs.

I think Haywards shot comes around in the second half of the season. He has started off slow every year and this year he has been the focal point of the offense when Trey has been out. Once everyone gets into there grove with the line up and the rotations I think his shot comes back.

Focus of the offense = focus of the other team's defense. Hayward can't handle the heat.

Contract year, trying to do too much to get a better contract maybe, been asked to play more minutes and is not used to it yet and well said previously cannot handle the burden placed on him....could be a combination of all those to varying degrees
Playing with a chip on your shoulder can be a great thing (even though Alec has been out of control early I like how he's been playing recently), but Hayward is and never will be no1 man on any team, he's not an elite shooter and far to inconsistent to be a no1 man like Durant, LBJ, Kobe, Paul, George.
Someone will overpay for him anyway count on it even if he stays inconsistent like this- just hope its not us

Last edited:
This league gets infinitely harder when you are your teams first option. Hayward is 2 or 3 option guy. He plays well off others and in transition. We are asking the guy to be the first option in the half court sets and it isn't what he is made for. He needs to play along someone. Think Pippen without Jordan.

He'll start hitting em later this year. Pretty sure we've seen this trend every season thus far.
This. In his rookie season he was the best shooter after the break, IINM. The past two years have followed the same trend: slow start and then better in the 2nd half of the year. I do think he has been trying to do too much and earn himself a HUGE contract. His poor play helped the early tank. Doesn't matter much now: Jazz will end up in the top-10 but nowhere near the top of the draft. Jazz are SCREWED (pardon the french) unless Lindsey makes some trades. Won't be drafting high enough to grab a superstar and NONE of the core5 have shown enough promise to think they'll be perennial all-stars. The future isn't quite as bright as many of us thought coming into the season.

This league gets infinitely harder when you are your teams first option. Hayward is 2 or 3 option guy. He plays well off others and in transition. We are asking the guy to be the first option in the half court sets and it isn't what he is made for. He needs to play along someone. Think Pippen without Jordan.

I'm thinking of Pippen without Jordan... and those were his two best statistical years in the NBA. 22 ppg on 49% shooting and 21 ppg on 48% shooting as the 1st option. He also averaged 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 1 block in 94-95 He almost took his team to the finals without Jordan. Pippen was that good.. Hayward will not be a Pippen to anyone, because he isn't anything more than a 3rd or 4th option at best. I ****ing hate it when people say that he can be a Pippen to anyone because he isn't capable of doing so.

Blatant attempt to improve his game. Stinklin was right...his shot does look different this year. I noticed this in that early game with phx, but thought i was imagining things.

He wants to be a superstar, not just a fantastic shooter. He just hasn't turned that corner, and i really don't know if he will

That just happened.