What's new

HBO on Amazon Prime

What do you think of HBO shows coming to Amazon Prime?

• I was already a Prime member, HBO is just gravy

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I wasn't a Prime member, but Amazon's got me interested now

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I'm not interested in Amazon Prime, and this hasn't changed anything

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don't care, stop bothering me

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

AtheistPreacher

So, Amazon will now be streaming HBO shows as part of its $99 annual Prime membership, starting May 21st.

https://time.com/73525/hbo-is-coming-to-amazon-prime-whether-you-have-hbo-or-not/

What does everyone think? If you weren't already a prime member, will this entice you to give it a go?

It also makes me wonder how much longer cable providers will be able to sustain the current model with services like Netflix and Amazon Prime around. Yeah, the streaming services typically don't have new shows as they air (Netflix originals notwithstanding), but I tend to think cable will die a slow and painful death due to comparatively high costs and widespread piracy. When it does, streaming will become the new preferred delivery method, and will see a price hike as everyone transitions to it. But until them I'm perfectly happy to ride the wave of cheap content.

So, Amazon will now be streaming HBO shows as part of its $99 annual Prime membership, starting May 21st.

https://time.com/73525/hbo-is-coming-to-amazon-prime-whether-you-have-hbo-or-not/

What does everyone think? If you weren't already a prime member, will this entice you to give it a go?

It also makes me wonder how much longer cable providers will be able to sustain the current model with services like Netflix and Amazon Prime around. Yeah, the streaming services typically don't have new shows as they air (Netflix originals notwithstanding), but I tend to think cable will die a slow and painful death due to comparatively high costs and widespread piracy. When it does, streaming will become the new preferred delivery method, and will see a price hike as everyone transitions to it. But until them I'm perfectly happy to ride the wave of cheap content.
HBO won't be streaming all their content. For example, no plans to include Game of Thrones.

The other model that might survive is pick your channels. Some industry pundits are saying that would result in only 20 or so channels surviving. And that's perfectly fine by me; I don't think there are even that many that SHOULD survive.

HBO was/is experimenting overseas in one market (I want to say Sweden?) with selling HBO GO direct to consumer. Not sure the reason or how its going but that's got to be the future as far as I'm concerned... The Comcasts of the world become only the pipe and the content is available packaged as it is today or ala carte for a premium likely direct to the consumer.

PLEASE!

We all ready pay for amazon prime, mostly for the free 2 day shipping. We use that a ton. But, it's a nice bonus to get some more programming. We stopped paying for cable a couple months ago and have since relied on Netflix and Amazon for our tv. Haven't missed the cable or the cable bill much since.

In a years time how often do you use Amazon?

I've used it twice in the past two weeks.

Once was for a vegetable spiralizer, and the other time was for some Manuka Honey.

Neither were available for Prime.

Amazon is a good company and they will go far. Just watch.

I've used it twice in the past two weeks.

Once was for a vegetable spiralizer, and the other time was for some Manuka Honey.

Neither were available for Prime.

Amazon is a good company and they will go far. Just watch.

Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff on my wish list. I always think I'd be ordering all the time but I never do.

Did you by the honey because of Dr. Oz?

We all ready pay for amazon prime, mostly for the free 2 day shipping. We use that a ton. But, it's a nice bonus to get some more programming. We stopped paying for cable a couple months ago and have since relied on Netflix and Amazon for our tv. Haven't missed the cable or the cable bill much since.

We did this a couple of years ago. No cable or satellite for a few years now. We use Netflix and Amazon Prime mostly, which you can get through the Wii and most other consoles now, as well as other means like Bluray players and such. We also have a Roku, which is on our main TV. I cannot see us ever going back to traditional TV. When we visit other people and use their TV we find ourselves drifting through tons of channels to get to 1 or 2 that are actually worth anything and then going back to Netflix, Amazon, or straight to the Web to get the episodes of the shows we want to watch. And no commercials. Ain't nobody got time for that!

In a years time how often do you use Amazon?

In our house the video service is getting used nearly daily, minimum 3-4 days per week. We buy from amazon a couple times per month probably on average, so the shipping alone pays for the sub.

In our house the video service is getting used nearly daily, minimum 3-4 days per week. We buy from amazon a couple times per month probably on average, so the shipping alone pays for the sub.

Ahhhhh, that makes fiscal sense. Good on you and your family for "cutting the cord."

I'd cut the cord, but live sports are a thing and I basically need TNT and/or league pass to survive for 5-6 months out of the year.

Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff on my wish list. I always think I'd be ordering all the time but I never do.

Did you by the honey because of Dr. Oz?

No I did not, but I did buy it for the medicinal benefits.

Oz likes it? Niiiiiicccceeee.

DVR especially if you watch sports is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better than amazon prime and netflix together.

Having access to live tv, streaming tv episodes and movies, as well as recording any show you want and being able to fast forward and rewind is way better than netflix. Netflix shows show that are old its options are limited. They only advantage it has is that it is cheaper. And if all you care about is price for the entertainment that is great but it is not better quality. I would never give up having cable/dish for these netflix/amazon prime crappy service.

I know I can illegally stream sports but that sucks. First I dont want to watch sports live since that is inconvenient. Second I dont want to watch sports in my movie theater in some crappy non HD stream. I want to get home from work and have a bunch of games that I want to watch recorded on my DVR in HD that I can watch.

That is my feeling.