What's new

Headband Curse To Blaim For Team Under Performing!

checkbookdoc

First, let's all agree that the team is under performing and that the major cause of said under performance is a lack of on court unity.

Next, let's also agree that much of the most egregious under performing has been 1) when Conley is in the rotation, and 2) amplified over the recent stretch.

So, what is the link between these under performance items? One word... HEADBANDS!

A brief history of the Jazz relationship with players wearing headbands. Jazz coach Frank Layden made the team rule that no player could wear a headband. The rule continued under Coach Sloan, with the clarification that if the entire team wanted to wear a headband he was fine with it (he also required all players to wear the same socks). In other words, Coach Sloan saw consistency in dress as a way to remind players of the importance of team unity. The headband rule continued until this year when Coach Snyder officially eliminated it.

Jump to this year... Mike Conley (and only Conley) decides to wear a headband. On opening night, the first time a player wears a non-medical related headband, Conley goes 1-16. Coincidence? As the season progresses Conley continues to have troubles integrating with the team. All while being the only Jazz player to wear a headband! Interestingly, once Conley is injured and there is unity in Jazz team uniform the team goes on a hot streak playing with the greatest cohesion of the year... re-enter Conley, and team togetherness regresses.

What about the most recent stretch, where the Jazz have looked their absolute worst of the year. Can we see the impact of the headband here? Well, it just so happens that just before the allstar break Royce O'Neale also started wearing a headband! With the talent on the Jazz roster they could overcome one player being out of sync, but two... that is much harder. In the five games where both O'Neale and Conley have worn headbands the Jazz are 2-3. This doesn't seem dire, until you realize the two wins were against Portland and Houston and basically involved last second miracles (Rudy goaltend & Bojan buzzer prayer). Another interesting coincidence, as many posters have mentioned Royce's impact (especially defensively) diminished over this same stretch.

So, what does all this mean? Well, for my money it suggests there is a positive correlation with headbands (non-unity of team's in game uniform) and team unity/performance. I am sure that there will be many who disbelieve in the headband effect. They will dismiss the opinion of Coach Sloan as Boomer talk. To those fans I say, "Get off my lawn!"

I believe the only way to turn this team around is to reinstate the headband rule. Wear as a team or not, but whatever is done should be consistent. Who is with me!

so this year we have
- the baby yoda blessing
- the yellow jersey curse
- the dr. jazz wrestling blessing in minny
- the headband curse

I believe it all, but I still feel like the rally churro may be angry that we have forgotten it and not called out its name.