Herro Rumors

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner

View: https://twitter.com/JWeinbachNBA/status/1703868163199303712

Some more Tyler Herro rumors... starting to feel kinda John Collinsy with how often his name is connected to us. The roster has some fit issues/duplication that give me concern. In a vacuum I get it... if something like this happens I think its another year of waiting for the second shoe to drop. Last year it was "when are we moving Mike?". This year it would be "when are we moving JC or Sexton?"

I won't be shocked if it happens... I'd just like to know what the long term plan is (or if there is one other than "get good players")

When Herro was tied to the Lillard trade with Miami some websites claimed all we would need to offer is a first rounder and perhaps KO. That would be a no-brainer. I wish.

I dunno. To me it’s a doubling down on the same problematic conceptualization of the Collins deal.

Makes sense to me, but what would we have that Portland would want (outside of picks)?

They got Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons, so they have 3 really high potential guards who are 6'5 and under. I doubt they would want Sexton. THT would be interesting for them and he would probably be the piece we would have to give up. Kelly would also make sense for the Blazers if they want an expiring vet to help the team along.

Would we turn around and trade John Collins? He would make a lot of sense for Portland. IDK what the rules are for including him in a deal this soon after trading him.

Outside of that, Hendricks is the only other player I could see having a lot of value for the Blazers.

To me it seems like it would have to be a 4 team deal, somewhere the Jazz can send Sexton for some extra value to giveback to the Blazers. I don't see any point of having Herro/Sexton/Clarkson on one team. One of Sexton/Clarkson has to go if we bring in Herro.

I think flipping Collins for Herro does make sense.

The Jazz wanted Collins, but they only pulled the trigger on him when he became free. So they may want Herro more.

Then you can turn around and figure out a Sexton to Milwaukee deal (the only place he has been rumored to go)

I initially didnt love the idea and I dont know how they solve the logjam that would create, but the positive is that would give us a larger pool of potential breakout candidates and guys who might create great chemistry with Lauri and Walker.

The Jazz wanted Collins, but they only pulled the trigger on him when he became free. So they may want Herro more.

Then you can turn around and figure out a Sexton to Milwaukee deal (the only place he has been rumored to go)
Collins trade value is still the same as when we traded for him, which means he would be just a salary filler.

Even if our FO wouldnt see him as a long term prospect, they wouldnt just dump his salary so soon without rehabbing any of his value.

I have a feeling they do consider him a prospect. They wanted Vando but once they realized he wont/cant shoot they went looking for 2.0 which is when Collins rumors started (and Vando shopping rumors soon thereafter).

I doubt we're looking to flip Collins right away....but who knows. My guess is that it's more likely revolved around Sexton. I'm not even sure what Herro's value is at right now. Seen some people think he's a potential star and others who think he's a negative contract.

Tbh, I'm not sure how much better he is than Sexton. Probably easier to play with given his on/off ball ability, but not to a degree where he's a significantly better player.

Collins trade value is still the same as when we traded for him, which means he would be just a salary filler.

Even if our FO wouldnt see him as a long term prospect, they wouldnt just dump his salary so soon without rehabbing any of his value.

I have a feeling they do consider him a prospect. They wanted Vando but once they realized he wont/cant shoot they went looking for 2.0 which is when Collins rumors started (and Vando shopping rumors soon thereafter).
Did the Blazers have the ability to trade for Collins in the same fashion Utah did? They may have wanted him but not had the financial flexibility to absorb him like Utah did. I'm not saying Collins would get the deal done exclusively, obviously the Jazz would still have to put in a draft pick, but it would fulfil the salary obligation.

I initially didnt love the idea and I dont know how they solve the logjam that would create, but the positive is that would give us a larger pool of potential breakout candidates and guys who might create great chemistry with Lauri and Walker.
The way it solves the logjam is that Herro is clearly better than any guard we have.

Trading KO + THT for him would help clear up a couple of logjams we have. We would definitely be adding a pick or two as well.

Sexton’s #1 hater doing nasty work.

Did the Blazers have the ability to trade for Collins in the same fashion Utah did? They may have wanted him but not had the financial flexibility to absorb him like Utah did. I'm not saying Collins would get the deal done exclusively, obviously the Jazz would still have to put in a draft pick, but it would fulfil the salary obligation.
No. They looked into trading for him last summer according to reports, but once Collins started the year rough they didnt follow up. Bucks, Raptors and Pels were the other teams reportedly calling Atlanta near DL.