What's new

Hiding amongst the Utah homeless population....a basketball star....

Duck Rodgers

Pretty cool story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-bot-22

The dream seemed far-fetched for a 6'2", 360-pound eighth-grader who spent his nights in a Utah homeless shelter, where people shot heroin in the restrooms and left needles near the sink.

Still, 14-year-old Caleb Swanigan—"Biggie," he'd long been called—seemed determined when he announced to his brother, Carl, that he wanted to become a basketball player.

As a 6'9", 250-pound senior, Swanigan averaged 22.6 points and 13.7 rebounds to lead Homestead to its first state title in school history. Along with his McDonald's All-American and Mr. Indiana Basketball honors, Swanigan helped Team USA win FIBA World Championships in 2014 (U17) and 2015 (U19).

I remember giving this dude props in one of those draft threads for playing like a post playing beast should during one of those All-Star games earlier this year.....but I had no idea he was from here.

Pretty cool story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-bot-22

I remember giving this dude props in one of those draft threads for playing like a post playing beast should during one of those All-Star games earlier this year.....but I had no idea he was from here.

I hope people remember this story later this year when the Homeless Commission releases its findings and suggestions. We can't continue to have homeless families living with junkies, criminals, and the mentally disturbed. There is probably going to be an uproar when these different homeless populations are broken up and spread out into new facilities and programs throughout the Wasatch Front. When that happens, if something goes in in your backyard, look back to this story and realize that it must be done.

I used to hoop with his brother Carl. Carl had a full-ride to Louisville and then got shot in the eye. Pretty sad.

In Utah? People get shot?

haha I know, right? But yeah it's got its spots. Nothing like the greater third ward in Houston or anything, but there are areas like Rose Park and West Valley that have gangs and tough guys. A lot of it depends on who you hang out with. Carl didn't always hang out with the best influences.