What's new

Hockey in Utah

I can’t imagine how anyone with half a brain could think that building up Draper is a good idea. The gridlock between 7200 S. And Thanksgiving Pt in Lehi is the worst traffic in the entire state. Far worse than anything headed in or out of downtown. Bangeter and I15 is a mess most of the time. Which exit would even work for a hockey/jazz arena? 134th south? Building a new home for the Jazz, bringing in a new hockey franchise, and building up the prison site with commercial buildings and town homes will just make that area worse, on par with the 405. It’s better focus on improving east and west traffic and build a big park on the prison site. Build more of the commercial crap somewhere else. Keep the sports teams downtown, where all the bars, restaurants, and public transportation are.

Anyone else miss the days when you could go up any of the canyons and enjoy quiet solitude? Anyone else miss the days when there were spaces in between towns?
This.
Also that area is kind of landlocked by Utah lake to the west and the mountains to the east to a certain extent

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I am getting tired of my taxes going up for **** I don’t want all to give handouts to rich people. If Ryan smith and the dorks pushing hockey and new arenas want new stuff built, they should foot the bill for it all. I don’t want a penny of my tax dollars going to a gigantic arena I’ll rarely attend that’ll cause even more gridlock in the worst section of i15 in the state.

Again, why wasn’t a large park ever considered to take the place of the prison? Something much needed and could be enjoyed by everyone without paying an arm and a leg?

I’m really not liking the way this franchise is going. Keep the Jazz downtown and get us some decent uniforms. Draper Tech bros can go **** themselves.

I am getting tired of my taxes going up for **** I don’t want all to give handouts to rich people. If Ryan smith and the dorks pushing hockey and new arenas want new stuff built, they should foot the bill for it all. I don’t want a penny of my tax dollars going to a gigantic arena I’ll rarely attend that’ll cause even more gridlock in the worst section of i15 in the state.

Again, why wasn’t a large park ever considered to take the place of the prison? Something much needed and could be enjoyed by everyone without paying an arm and a leg?

I’m really not liking the way this franchise is going. Keep the Jazz downtown and get us some decent uniforms. Draper Tech bros can go **** themselves.
Agreed

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

YEAH! Screw those tech bros and the wonderful, community and memory building that comes from uniting behind a sports team that represents the city! The last thing we need around here is excitement about potential playoff hockey or the GODDAMNED WORLD SERIES coming to Salt Lake. We don't need MORE fun, life affirming conversations about trade deadlines or who the team should take in the upcoming NHL/MLB draft. Forget the joy that might come from watching our kids play "Jr. Yeti" or "Jr. whatever baseball" and maybe growing up to become a local playing in the professional league that we can ALL celebrate as a community. Yeah!! Screw those tech bros!! I want LESS fun things to do for my family and less ways to have memorable experiences. I know I have HATED the way the community rally's around the Jazz when they are successful. I DEFINITLEY wouldn't want to see that extended to other professional sports.

Also, I don't see any irony AT ALL of one pro team's ****** message board users not wanting more sports to post their ****** opinions about on new ****** message boards.

But mostly **** those tech bros who figured out a way to make enough money to even have the conversations around bringing more professionals sports to Utah! They should do the respectful thing and take their money and their wonderful dreams to California!

YEAH! Screw those tech bros and the wonderful, community and memory building that comes from uniting behind a sports team that represents the city! The last thing we need around here is excitement about potential playoff hockey or the GODDAMNED WORLD SERIES coming to Salt Lake. We don't need MORE fun, life affirming conversations about trade deadlines or who the team should take in the upcoming NHL/MLB draft. Forget the joy that might come from watching our kids play "Jr. Yeti" or "Jr. whatever baseball" and maybe growing up to become a local playing in the professional league that we can ALL celebrate as a community. Yeah!! Screw those tech bros!! I want LESS fun things to do for my family and less ways to have memorable experiences. I know I have HATED the way the community rally's around the Jazz when they are successful. I DEFINITLEY wouldn't want to see that extended to other professional sports.

Also, I don't see any irony AT ALL of one pro team's ****** message board users not wanting more sports to post their ****** opinions about on new ****** message boards.

But mostly **** those tech bros who figured out a way to make enough money to even have the conversations around bringing more professionals sports to Utah! They should do the respectful thing and take their money and their wonderful dreams to California!
My issue would be moving the Jazz to Draper which I think is an absolutely awful idea. I don't really know, but getting an NHL team might make the idea of building a new stadium to accommodate both the Jazz and the NHL team and doing it in Draper more likely. I wouldn't like that. First because that's a terrible location and we already have a great basketball arena in just about the best place it could be, but second, they would very likely get government funding to build it. I'm not a Hokey fan, but I'm not at all against getting an NHL team, but I would be against a new arena if it meant the Jazz were going to move and if taxpayers paid a significant portion of the cost.

My issue would be moving the Jazz to Draper which I think is an absolutely awful idea. I don't really know, but getting an NHL team might make the idea of building a new stadium to accommodate both the Jazz and the NHL team and doing it in Draper more likely. I wouldn't like that. First because that's a terrible location and we already have a great basketball arena in just about the best place it could be, but second, they would very likely get government funding to build it. I'm not a Hokey fan, but I'm not at all against getting an NHL team, but I would be against a new arena if it meant the Jazz were going to move and if taxpayers paid a significant portion of the cost.
Exactly this

Eh, we had season tickets to the Golden eagles. That was a lot of fun, I'll admit. But they couldn't maintain the fan-base. Every game we went to was maybe 1/2 full, maybe up to 2/3. Granted we didn't go to every game, but still. Unless they think an NHL team will get fans to move here or something I just can't see it taking off here, at least not any more than the grizzlies.

How much bigger is the population in the area today compared to then?

How much bigger is the population in the area today compared to then?
Eh, it's Utah. California lost more people moving out of LA last year than probably moved into that area in the entire intervening time.

Eh, it's Utah. California lost more people moving out of LA last year than probably moved into that area in the entire intervening time.

Looks like the state has a million more people now than it did 19 years ago. Up about 40%. That’s a huge jump.