What's new

Hockey

Chris-L

So I started watching NHL since the lockout sucks. Seen about 10 Avalanche games now. It's hard for me to get into though, doesn't feel as exciting as basketball. Maybe I just need more time to get to know the players better. Any hockey fans here? How do you think it compares to basketball as far as competition and entertainment go?

As far as sports go, I started as an NBA fan, but I expanded into hockey and started following the NHL in the early 2000s or so. I like the Flyers.

There does seem to be a little more of an element of chance, which can make it more exciting... in basketball, the number of possessions of 48 minutes tends to even things out. But in hockey, you can have 1-0 games and 9-8 games. A weird deflection and suddenly you've got a goal, sometimes by the smallest of margins. There's always a sense that no lead is ever really safe, because anything can happen. That's not as much the case in basketball, where a 20-point lead in the 4th is rarely ever overcome.

Other than that... I dunno, I like them both, they're both fun to watch.

Im from Edmonton, and the Edmonton Oilers are the only (respectable) professional sports team of the city. Plus we are a hockey-city, through and through. I find that hockey and basketball are the two easiest sports for casual fans to find exciting, and from what Ive seen, most fellow nba fans that have started following the oilers in light of the lockout have transitioned fairly seamlessly. The nice thing about the NHL is you really never know who's gonna win the Stanley Cup, every year. Good sport. Basketball is still my cup of tea, but hockey certainly isn't bad by any means whatsoever.

As far as sports go, I started as an NBA fan, but I expanded into hockey and started following the NHL in the early 2000s or so. I like the Flyers.

There does seem to be a little more of an element of chance, which can make it more exciting... in basketball, the number of possessions of 48 minutes tends to even things out. But in hockey, you can have 1-0 games and 9-8 games. A weird deflection and suddenly you've got a goal, sometimes by the smallest of margins. There's always a sense that no lead is ever really safe, because anything can happen. That's not as much the case in basketball, where a 20-point lead in the 4th is rarely ever overcome.

Other than that... I dunno, I like them both, they're both fun to watch.

Even though you're a Godless heathen, I must give props for a solid post. GO FLYERS! F THE PENGUINS! LOL @ The SHARKS! F U NBA!

Coming from basketball, the biggest thing I notice when watching hockey is how much freedom the players have to play. Refs aren't blowing whistles every 15 seconds over things that have no impact on the game. I know for the most part that doesn't work in basketball, but it's still refreshing to watch.

Coming from basketball, the biggest thing I notice when watching hockey is how much freedom the players have to play. Refs aren't blowing whistles every 15 seconds over things that have no impact on the game. I know for the most part that doesn't work in basketball, but it's still refreshing to watch.

Not to mention the fact that if someone is giving you the business, you have the right to challenge him to a fair fight. I can't stand cheapshots, but a good ol' fashioned fight is great, and potentially a game changer.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm a big proponent of having fewer fouls called, and particularly defensive foul calls. I think there's an assumption that a more offensive, more high-scoring game is more fun to watch, but I enjoy watching great defense as much as I like watching good offense, and I get annoyed when there are a lot of silly touch calls.

Not to mention the fact that if someone is giving you the business, you have the right to challenge him to a fair fight. I can't stand cheapshots, but a good ol' fashioned fight is great, and potentially a game changer.

So true. It's gonna be hard to watch basketball whenever it starts back up after watching hockey. It's so satisfying to see **** get settled man to man. Was watching a game last week and 5 seconds after opening face off 2 guys threw off their gloves and just punched each other in the face for 30 seconds. All the refs did was get out of the way until they were done. Hell yes!

To the last few points, had fun watching the Pens beat (literally and figuratively) up on the Avs and while it wasn't 30sec into the game there was a fight within the first 2min of the game as well as the Pens coming back from being down 3-1 to win 3-6.

This pic sums it up pretty well for the Avs
large.jpeg

To the last few points, had fun watching the Pens beat (literally and figuratively) up on the Avs and while it wasn't 30sec into the game there was a fight within the first 2min of the game as well as the Pens coming back from being down 3-1 to win 3-6.

This pic sums it up pretty well for the Avs
large.jpeg

Yah, unfortunately I watched that whole game. The first 20 minutes were great, the rest was just terrible. That was a good fight though.

I don't mind watching it live. Like at a Grizzlies game. Those are pretty fun.