What's new

Home Is Burning (Book)

Jazz Punk Rocker

Contributor
Not sure if this has been posted before since the book came out late last year but have you guys read Home Is Burning by Dan Marshall. It's about a guy from SLC who's dad develops ALS (on top of his Mom having cancer for most of his life). He's living in LA at the time and moves back to SLC to help his dad. I've only read about a quarter of the book but they mention the Jazz all the time. It's the one thing that the guy and his dad really bond over. I actually found out about the book from a SI article in last weeks issue where the author wrote a little piece about how the Jazz helped bring him and his sick dad closer together.

The book actually is already in development to be a feature film, Miles Teller is going to produce and act in it. The director of 50/50 is directing it.

Just wanted to see if you guys have read it. It's really good (although he bashes Mormons)

23848247.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted before since the book came out late last year but have you guys read Home Is Burning by Dan Marshall. It's about a guy from SLC who's dad develops ALS (on top of his Mom having cancer for most of his life). He's living in LA at the time and moves back to SLC to help his dad. I've only read about a quarter of the book but they mention the Jazz all the time. It's the one thing that the guy and his dad really bond over. I actually found out about the book from a SI article in last weeks issue where the author wrote a little piece about how the Jazz helped bring him and his sick dad closer together.

The book actually is already in development to be a feature film, Miles Teller is going to produce and act in it. The director of 50/50 is directing it.

Just wanted to see if you guys have read it. It's really good (although he bashes Mormons)

View attachment 4666

What time is it set in? Like, Malone/D-Will/Hayward era Jazz?

View attachment 4666

Sounds like something that would make me cry.

It has a 3.84 rating on Goodreads (910 ratings). Good reviews - people either really love it or think the family are jerks. If you have a low tolerance for crudity and language, it sounds like you might want to pass.

Here's the summary:
"Dave Eggers meets David Sedaris in this uproariously funny, unflinchingly honest, and tender memoir.

Dan's mom has always had cancer. First diagnosed when he was only ten years old, she was the model of resilience throughout his childhood, fighting her disease with tenacity and a mouth foul enough to make a sailor blush. But just as she faces a relapse, her husband —a successful businessman and devoted father—is diagnosed with ALS. He is told that in a few months' time, he be unable to walk, eat, or breathe on his own. Dan, a recent college graduate living the good life in Los Angeles, has no choice but to return home to help.

Reinstalled in his parents' basement (in one of the only non-Mormon homes in a Salt Lake City subdivision) Dan is reunited with his siblings. His older sister Tiffany is resentful, having stayed closer to home to bear the brunt of their mother's illness. Younger brother Greg comes to lend a hand, giving up a journalism career and evenings cruising Chicago gay bars. Younger sister Michelle is a sullen teenager experimenting with drinking and flirting with her 35-year-old soccer coach. And baby sister Chelsea—the oddest duck in a family of misfits—can only think about dance. Together they form Team Terminal, going to battle against their parents' illnesses and cracking plenty of jokes along the way.

As Dan steps into his role as caregiver, wheelchair wrangler, and sibling referee, he watches pieces of his previous life slip away, and comes to realize that you don't get to choose when it's time to grow up."

Sounds like something that would make me cry.

This. Teller is awesome and I really, really liked 50/50 so this sounds really good with actual outside Oscars chances depending on the quality of the original source material and script.