What's new

Home theater system recommendations?

asian_roger

Hi guys, I'm looking at rebuilding my home theater system and need some help since I don't know anyone with good audio taste.

Right now, I have a Samsung HTIB blu-ray. I'm ok with the bass, but dialogue sound in movies are stuffy and low for me (unless playing with blu-ray disc). I'm upgrading to a system below $1000 and will need a separate receiver and speaker sets. Powered subwoofer would be nice. If anyone on here is an audiophile that knows his stuff, I would appreciate it. I just want some basic feedback, here are some of the models I've been looking at below.

https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B0039UUPH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336972247&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Canton-Movie-125-MX-Black/dp/B00400DDIM

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

https://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Nanosat-5-1-High-Performance-Speaker/dp/B001H2VBD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1336972121&sr=1-1

I'm been looking at too many reviews and going insane from it. They all have good reviews and decent sales. I've been looking at Polk, KEF, Boston Acoustics, Martin Logan, Tannoy, Klipsch, and Definitive Technology.

Also, it would be nice to know what receiver I should I buy. Thanks in advance guys.

I have a Klipsch speaker set up in my movie room with a Veldyne sub and I really like it. I would highly recommend buying a decent receiver by itself and adding speakers so you can change things in the future.

Just find some highly reviewed speakers that are on a great sale and by it. You are not spending enough to get into high end stuff everything at this level will sound good and you will be happy as long as you get a good deal on speakers with a good reputation.

I did just switch out my front small speakers for some large floor standing Klipsch speakers and they sound way better than the little ones that come in most sets.

I don't know if anybody is an audiophile, but there are some pedophiles here.

If you decide to buy things separately I could sell you a Polk Audio SW10 (cherry finish) https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA for $50. No dings and only a few hours of use.

I bought it and quickly upgraded to the Polk Audio SW505 because I have a pretty large room. The SW10 would be great for a medium sized room.

For your price range would look at Yamaha and Onkyo receivers around $250-$300 and add in reasonably priced floor-standing speakers from a speaker maker (not sony, panasonic, etc.) plus a decent center speaker. If you have anything left to spend start looking at surround speakers.

I'm no audiophile and don't have audiophile grade stuff, but you can take a big step up for around the same money by avoiding the HTIB stuff and buying individual components.

Those packages with a sub and a bunch of tiny speakers really don't deliver the goods. For similar money a 2channel system will be much more satisfying.

I'm finishing my basement and putting in a projector. They are putting the speakers directly into the wall. Talking to the home theater guy next week hopefully.

My girlfriend once called me a pedophile. I was like pfffft, what does a 13 year old know. Sorry for the derail.

Jazzfanz: where audio questions turn into pedo jokes.

Anyways, I've decided to go with the German Canton 125mx (my mancave is not that large) as a temp replacement until I can afford tower speakers. I heard they are really sturdy, my audio prof. told me that heavier speakers are less likely to distort or vibrate. My current speakers feel very light and hollow. I know that high quality brands like Boston Ac. speakers are smaller and heavier.

I'm buying a Onkyo 7.1 receiver, but hooking up 5.1 for now. Eventually, I'll switch my Cantons to side/rear speakers and buy separate towers and subs when I have the spare money.

"Those packages with a sub and a bunch of tiny speakers really don't deliver the goods. For similar money a 2channel system will be much more satisfying." <<<this may be true, but its hard to revert back to 2.1 when you are used to surround.

Thanks for the input.

My girlfriend once called me a pedophile. I was like pfffft, what does a 13 year old know. Sorry for the derail.

Damn you, I think I just woke up my kids from laughing too loudly.

I'm going to be in the market for something considerably less pricey- I'll probably just check CNET for what's decent at entry level. I finally just bought a Panasonic Blu Ray player tonight after holding out for this long, and picked up my 42" Vierra Plasma less than a year ago. I'm not a Luddite, but medical stuff costs money.

Kind of off topic but I finally planned out how my backyard is going to look.

The fence will be red blocks/bricks. On the inside of that I will plant trees for some privacy.

The patio will be concrete with a stone finish. In one corner I will have a fire pit connected to my gas line. There will be four chairs around it. Then to the side of that I will have an outdoor table with 8 chairs around that. Past that I will have a BBQ that has a gas grill and a charcoal grill. It will be built into a counter with a rock finish. To the left of the BBQ will be a counter. To the right of the BBQ will be a sink. The counter will be hooked to the water and gas lines. There will be a TV inside the house that is facing a window looking out onto the patio. A surround system (how I tied this to this thread) will be wired from the TV to the outside. All of that will have a cover/roof so all the chairs and what not do not get wet. There will be a pool between the tree wall and the patio. To the side of the pool will be a tramp lowered into the ground.

Perfect place for parties and family get togethers.

Kind of off topic but I finally planned out how my backyard is going to look.

The fence will be red blocks/bricks. On the inside of that I will plant trees for some privacy.

The patio will be concrete with a stone finish. In one corner I will have a fire pit connected to my gas line. There will be four chairs around it. Then to the side of that I will have an outdoor table with 8 chairs around that. Past that I will have a BBQ that has a gas grill and a charcoal grill. It will be built into a counter with a rock finish. To the left of the BBQ will be a counter. To the right of the BBQ will be a sink. The counter will be hooked to the water and gas lines. There will be a TV inside the house that is facing a window looking out onto the patio. A surround system (how I tied this to this thread) will be wired from the TV to the outside. All of that will have a cover/roof so all the chairs and what not do not get wet. There will be a pool between the tree wall and the patio. To the side of the pool will be a tramp lowered into the ground.

Perfect place for parties and family get togethers.

Best part of all.

Seriously, sounds good .. live it up!

Best part of all.

Seriously, sounds good .. live it up!

I am debating on wether to put the tramp close enough to jump into the poolf rom or not. My youngest is very clumsy. 5 years old and has already had a cuncussion, broken arm, staples in the back of her head...

I am debating on wether to put the tramp close enough to jump into the poolf rom or not. My youngest is very clumsy. 5 years old and has already had a cuncussion, broken arm, staples in the back of her head...

Ummmm .. I'd say no. Tell me more about this tramp, though. Pics or GTFO.

Little brother broke his elbow on the tramp a couple of years ago, when he was....8 I think?

The doctor then told my parent about how a lot of medical staff are trying to ban the sale of trampolines, because they apparently cause youth-injuries at an enormous rate.

I say you that you should do some reading on it, and it'd be recommended to avoid a trampoline purchase.

Ummmm .. I'd say no. Tell me more about this tramp, though. Pics or GTFO.

Well their mom is 5'9 (I like them tall), pale skin, black hair, DD cup. When she is in a good mood she is fun as hell to be around. She just has a tendency to make stupid decisions.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Stoked again.