What's new

Hood is the reason 3.0 (Thanks for reading)

Agreed. I like Hood a lot, but when he's off, he's off. Basketball 101 is always to feed the hot player.

Agree and I would not pull him or tell him to not shoot. Just don’t force ****. Shoot your normal stuff if you are open. When you are hot friggin go for it.

I just think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with his new contract. He will get more than he is worth in my opinion. May still be able to move the contract... like porty did with Crabbe, but they ate some dead money in that deal. Who knows maybe he will be the first wing that doesn’t get overpaid.

Yes, posters in here are suggesting he stop shooting period when off.
Find someone who will say "I wish hood would pass up open 3 point shots when he is struggling." I haven't seen that.

Also, I have no problem with him taking contested shots when he is feeling it. Cant always get on open shot on every possession.

Find someone who will say "I wish hood would pass up open 3 point shots when he is struggling." I haven't seen that.

Also, I have no problem with him taking contested shots when he is feeling it. Cant always get on open shot on every possession.

He hits the pull up three a lot too... His mid-range game has really fallen off... wonder if he can recapture it.

I'm fine with him shooting the pull up three too... just don't force things when its not going well.

The other hood thread stated as much others agreed.

Yes, we can't always get open looks so at the end of a shot clock we might have to take a bad shot. But our offense has created tons of open looks and players like hood need to take those and stay within those.

Would you rather have a lottery pick or Hood?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lottery pick and it is not close. I highly doubt anyone is offering that. I'd rather have a pick in the 20s than Rodney. Some will think that is stupid and i get that because the pick is likely not as good as Rodney (has a chance to be better, but it is slim) but that is not the measure in my mind. The question is can we get something for the 4/60-4/80 that combined with the pick is better than Hood. I think that is a pretty low bar to clear when measured that way.

I think that, this season, hood shoots the 3 at an elite level when you consider volume combined with efficiency. I think if ron mexico's recent posts have shown anything its that. The fact that you can put hoods name in the same sentence as steph as it pertains to 3 point shooting is enough for me to consider him an elite 3 point shooter so far this season. Problem is that this is his best volume and percentage in his career so it could be a small sample size/outlier.

Define started off slow. Can you show me some game logs from hood where he started the game 0-5 or 1-6 or something and then finished the game with good percentages?

Also, this cherry picking comparison with steph curry you keep making is dumb. No one is saying that hood is a bad 3 point shooter or that he takes a low amount of threes. This thread is discussing rodney hoods entire game (and lack of games) and his value as a player. Steph and hood are nothing alike other than they both take lots of threes and both make a good percentage from there. No one is arguing otherwise.
And even with that cherry picked part of their game there is a decent difference between the two. Curry has played 9 seasons and never ever shot under 40% from three for a season. His career average is 43.6%.
Hood has played 4 seasons and never ever shot over 40% from three for a season. His career average is 37% from three.
Curry also takes more threes per game by a decent amount (almost 3 more per game this season.... seasons past there was a much bigger gap) and just from watching them both play i would say that steph takes more difficult three point shots as well.

Then of course there are all the other things that steph does way better. (rebound, pass, dribble, get to the rim, make non 3 point shots, get to the line, force turnovers, etc)

The 17 point per game thing is interesting.
I would be curious to know if there are any players in the league who take 15 shots per game, with 7 of them being threes taken and made at a good percentage, who score less than 17 ppg. I mean you almost have to accidentally get a few layups/dunks and free throws in a game. I think it would be hard to score less than 17 ppg shooting as much as rodney does and shooting the volume and percentage he does from 3.

****, im sounding like a rodney hood hater. He is still young, has good size, has about the prettiest shot in the league and spaces the floor well, can absolutely go off, and seems to accept his role off the bench. I like him. Just dont think he is all that special or irreplaceable.

Martin "Fish" Luther nailing the thesis to the door. 15 points on 17 shots? Keep shooting shooter!!11!!1111

The other hood thread stated as much others agreed.
Eh, i think people have said that hood should stop shooting when he is struggling. Maybe you take that to mean that people want him to pass up open threes. I took it more of a general statement and more vague. Next time you should try asking the poster if they think that hood should pass up wide open threes when they say something like "hood needs to stop shooting when he is struggling" or "hood should stop jacking up shots when he struggles" or "hood should get benched when he struggles." I bet they say no. I cant imagine that even hoods biggest haters want him to pass up open threes (the one thing he is actually good at)

Eh, i think people have said that hood should stop shooting when he is struggling. Maybe you take that to mean that people want him to pass up open threes. I took it more of a general statement and more vague. Next time you should try asking the poster if they think that hood should pass up wide open threes when they say something like "hood needs to stop shooting when he is struggling" or "hood should stop jacking up shots when he struggles" or "hood should get benched when he struggles." I bet they say no. I cant imagine that even hoods biggest haters want him to pass up open threes (the one thing he is actually good at)
I already did, they won't answer. I have also heard many people in the game chats get mad when he shoots and misses a three that is open and say he should stop shooting those.

I'm not making assumptions, I am taking people at face value.

I disagree with that and still do.

I already did, they won't answer. I have also heard many people in the game chats get mad when he shoots and misses a three that is open and say he should stop shooting those.

I'm not making assumptions, I am taking people at face value.

I disagree with that and still do.
They wont answer yet you are taking them at face value? no answer has no value imo. Also, i have seen you ask franklin so far. His answer was that he thinks hood should be on the bench when he performs poorly. That is not the same as saying that when hood is on the court he should pass up open three point shots imo.

They wont answer yet you are taking them at face value? no answer has no value imo. Also, i have seen you ask franklin so far. His answer was that he thinks hood should be on the bench when he performs poorly. That is not the same as saying that when hood is on the court he should pass up open three point shots imo.
I asked him in this thread. A few posts up.

I am taking others at face value in the chat.

I think hood should never take bad shots and always take good shots. Regardless of what his last shot did.

I asked him in this thread. A few posts up.

I am taking others at face value in the chat.

I think hood should never take bad shots and always take good shots. Regardless of what his last shot did.
Duh, did you not see in my post when i said that i saw that you asked franklin? He didn't answer that he thinks hood should pass up open threes when he is in the game. I have yet to see anyone say that and have yet to see you find someone saying that. Provide me some proof holmes. Anyone who wants him to not do the thing that he does best would be an idiot. Not that there aren't some idiotic jazz fans but i have never seen anyone say that they want him passing up open threes.

Duh, did you not see in my post when i said that i saw that you asked franklin? He didn't answer that he thinks hood should pass up open threes when he is in the game. I have yet to see anyone say that and have yet to see you find someone saying that. Provide me some proof holmes. Anyone who wants him to not do the thing that he does best would be an idiot. Not that there aren't some idiotic jazz fans but i have never seen anyone say that they want him passing up open threes.
Nah, I'm good. No reason to waste my time digging through game threads.

Many people on this board think if you are cold you should stop shooting. I've debated this with many people here. Start a poll if you want you will see it's a common idea.

Can we trade Hood for Mirotic so we can lock this thread?

TIA.

Listened to a podcast with Sam Vecenie and some other dude... Mentioned Hood and Favs to Cleveland for Shump and the BKN pick... I think they are crazy, but would you do

Osman and clevelands own pick #25 (projected) for Hood? I think all of us would do the Favs/Hood for Shump and BKN pick deal in a second... I think there is zero chance of that.

Yes if he is playing within the offense and taking good shots.

Do you think he should stop shooting good shots if he misses a few in a row?

No. I haven't responded to this question yet because the answer is obvious. If you replace Ricky with Hood then my answer is hell yeah. Just like I don't want Favors jacking up 3 point shots.

You made plenty great points, including one about how good Hood is off the dribble. He definitely gets his shots up quick. And, I'll give you this: his misses are usually pretty damn close. I don't think I've seen a shot that wasn't close to going in this season. That's why he's a steak shooter.

The 4th point you've made on this is that streak shooting doesn't exist. Prove it to me. That 1985 study? Please. They all have holes in them as deep as Fish Lake - no bottom. You simply cannot measure streak shooting with such small sample sizes. How are you going to statistically call a 3-off event when a shooter averages only 10-15 per game? It's impossible. How are you going to build your bell curve when a shooter only takes 2 in one game and then 13 in the next? You can't.

Streak shooting is a thing. Law of Averages is a thing (the point you are making). My point in the Hood case is that I want the streakiness to be less and the Law to be more.

BTW, here's an abstract from a scholarly paper that I'm not going to buy:

We examine behavioural changes of basketball players arising from the hot-hand belief and use data of 1216 National Basketball Association games to measure the effect of cold and hot streaks on three proxies of shot difficulty. We find that the more consecutive shots players make (miss), the more difficult (easier) shots become along the three dimensions. Furthermore, most players' performance seems to improve during hot streaks because they attempt more difficult shots while no significant decrease in shooting accuracy takes place. This might explain why most previous studies could not find empirical evidence for the hot-hand belief in basketball when considering in-game field goal shooting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25427817

That article is just a start on stats that do prove streak shooting exists. The eyeball test says so too.