What's new

HoopsHype: O'Conner enamored with Brandon Knight

LunaticWolf

https://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

Utah GM Kevin O'Connor has been enamored with Knight since the season began and now is in position to grab him as a replacement to Deron Williams. Knight is an absolute gym rat and a tremendous kid who will work hard on his game. The NBA has become a PG-dominated league and Knight has the size and speed to be a standout at the position. He may have some holes and take time to round into a complete point guard, but it's hard to argue with opting for such a strong competitor and character guy here. A clutch shooter, Knight has go to ability with his quick first step and ability to create shots. Long rated at the top or near the top of his class, Knight has elite level speed and quickness for a player his size. Despite lacking much leaping ability, he's a prolific scorer with a killer instinct. Knight has a professional mindset, always looking for ways to improve his game and has worked extremely hard in the weight room resulting in a chiseled physique. He's a big-time shooter, but detractors point to his lack of passing ability/point guard skills. An excellent end to the year guiding UK to the SEC title and two game winners in the NCAA tourney taking them to the Final Four have his stock on the rise.

Last edited:
I have believed for some time that KOC is zeroing in on Knight. He's too much of a perfect fit (to the KOC psyche) -- character, talent, position of need. If that's the case, I would hope he's exploring ways to get Knight lower than 3.

There are only a few times in a franchises history are they able to get the #1 center in a draft. If we pass on Kanter, we will regret it. Knight is not Rose or Wall and will take much longer to be successful in the league.

Take Knight over Kanter if your medical advice warns against his condition, and his workouts are poor.
I just don't see this happening. I believe Kanter is legit.

If we trade down, and get Knight @ 5, and pick up another 2012 1st I can live with that too.

It's going to be a fun run up until the draft!!!

There are only a few times in a franchises history are they able to get the #1 center in a draft. If we pass on Kanter, we will regret it. Knight is not Rose or Wall and will take much longer to be successful in the league.

Nothing at all tells me that kanter is a franchise center. Nothing. In fact i have seen interviews saying he does not even want to play center. Brandon Knight will be special, maybe not rose or wall special, but a notch below.

Knight > Kanter

Knight seems like a low risk project to me. The guy has been called a gym rat, has a high IQ, is a good shooter, and already has a clutch gene. He just needs to learn the game a little more and get a bit stronger and he could be a top 10 PG.

OH and he turns 19 in December.

That's the logic that Milwaukee used to draft Bogut and the Pistons used to draft Darko Milicic.

That's the logic that Milwaukee used to draft Bogut and the Pistons used to draft Darko Milicic.

Similar to the logic that Portland didn't take Jordan because they had Drex.

Always BPA. Never draft a need. You can always trade later for a need when for established players.

Of course, this article could be an invitation from KOC to other teams who would like Brandon Knight to start the trade discussions. Sacramento for instance.

That's the better section of the list. KWAME. NIKOLOZ (5th selection in 2002, but do you even remember the name?) OLOWOKANDI. SHAWN. There are more top pick busts at center than there have been success stories. But everyone from fanz to GM's are fiends for that game altering center. Get a Kendrick or a Big Baby and call it good. The bigger Morris twin is much more likely to have a better career than Enes Kanter, and will probably be the gritty guy you need in post defense. Kanter will defend like Darko, Morris much more like Ben Wallace.

Kanter could not score over the now retired Jarron Collins and probably couldn't defend him either.

I think everyone will agree Knight won't be Rose (MVP) or Wall (unanimous #1 in 2010), but just because Kanter is the #1 center in the draft doesn't mean he'll be a top-10 center in the league. As mentioned, take the BPA. IMO that's Knight.

https://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

I'd copy and paste the relevent part, but you can't select anything on that page.

?

3. Utah
Jazz
Brandon Knight 6-3 PG Kentucky / Freshman
Utah GM Kevin O'Connor has been enamored with Knight since the season began and now is in position to grab him as a replacement to Deron Williams. Knight is an absolute gym rat and a tremendous kid who will work hard on his game. The NBA has become a PG-dominated league and Knight has the size and speed to be a standout at the position. He may have some holes and take time to round into a complete point guard, but it's hard to argue with opting for such a strong competitor and character guy here. A clutch shooter, Knight has go to ability with his quick first step and ability to create shots. Long rated at the top or near the top of his class, Knight has elite level speed and quickness for a player his size. Despite lacking much leaping ability, he's a prolific scorer with a killer instinct. Knight has a professional mindset, always looking for ways to improve his game and has worked extremely hard in the weight room resulting in a chiseled physique. He's a big-time shooter, but detractors point to his lack of passing ability/point guard skills. An excellent end to the year guiding UK to the SEC title and two game winners in the NCAA tourney taking them to the Final Four have his stock on the rise.
Comparison: Larry Hughes Stats: 17.5 ppg, 4.2 apg, 3.8 rpg
Rookie season salary*: $4,262,520 Ranking: 2nd Point Guard / 2nd Freshman

Read more: https://hoopshype.com/draft.htm#ixzz1MjPp1OXr

This.

Nothing at all tells me that kanter is a franchise center. Nothing. In fact i have seen interviews saying he does not even want to play center. Brandon Knight will be special, maybe not rose or wall special, but a notch below.

Not that special. I don't know what you're basing this on but I'm not sure who's the better PG out of Knight and Nolan Smith. And Nolan Smith can be had in the late 20s. What Kanter-comparable big is in the 20s?

Similar to the logic that Portland didn't take Jordan because they had Drex.

Always BPA. Never draft a need. You can always trade later for a need when for established players.

The Jazz are stacked at PF/C. They don't NEED Kanter. But he's BPA.

I like Kanter. I don't love him, but I certainly think higher of him than most of his detractors on this board. However, I honestly feel that 2 players in this draft have "elite" potential: Brandon Knight and Derrick Williams. KOC was on 1320 yesterday before the lottery and he basically said that when you reach for need, you're going to get burned more times than not and he's 100% right.

Do we need a center? Absolutely, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like Utah can't pass up the chance to take Williams or Knight if they find themselves in position to do so. We can debate about it all day long, but at the end of the day it's pretty simple: If KOC and the Jazz want to avoid botching this #3 pick, they'll simply take the BPA and let it sort itself out over time.